[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Practical C for professional devs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Hey guys,

So I've switch over to a T420 from a MBP which was my daily use programing machine.

I'm now looking try and use C more. Currently my go to is Python, and I mostly do server stuff with Flask / Django.

I'm just not finding a lot of areas I can use C practically.

I have a few standalone Python scripts for file sorting, but ultimately they need to make a record in a database. C is not very database friendly from what i've seen.

Can any one enlighten me on C and how I can use it more in my daily programing life?

Practical examples? †
>>
practical professionals don't use C
>>
>>62229600
Are there any impactical examples?

I've only found c useful in arduino / low level robotics, and then only because the chips typically can't handle Python.
>>
Plugins for Photoshop
Robots
Games
That's about it
>>
>>62229639
Funny, because arduino is C++
>>
>>62229703
>Funny, because arduino is C++
>not C
being this autistic
>>
>>62229563
C is a low level programming. I don't think it'd be that fun desu unless you're into near-hardware-programming and even into hardware itself
>>
>>62229755
>https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ReleaseNotes
>ARDUINO 0004 - 2006.04.26
>* Main sketch is now compiled as C++ (instead of C).
>https://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/816/c-vs-the-arduino-language

being this wrong
>>
C is useful for low level stuff, or when you want to squeeze the most out of hardware. I guess it should also be useful for embedded stuff.

Still, managing memory manually will probably teach you how to avoid allocations in higher level languages with gc, meaning that you might learn how to write faster code in these languages as well.
>>
>>62229868
C can compile in a C++ compiler, with some edge cases and formatting exceptions.

You need to get your spergs under control man, you'll be on NEET bux the rest of your life.
>>
>>62230162
And? How is that relevant?
You said arduino is C, which is wrong as shown. Also take a look at some libraries for peripherals, they're all written in C++ for better quality, performance and simplicity. As is most professional embedded stuff like car ECUs. C is simply a very small niche nowadays.
>>
I use C professionally as an embedded engineer.

SQLite3 is a popular database system for C applications.

I'm not sure what you mean by "practical" examples but something you can try is getting a microcontroller board with peripheral expansion and write C code that interfaces with those peripherals.

I don't really know much about Arduino.
>>
>>62230308
>C++
>professional embedded stuff like car ECUs
no C++ there
>>
>>62230308
In my experience of doing embedded development in off an on for 10 years, I've never once seen C++ used on a real project that wasn't running on a multiuser operating system. But I've never worked in the auto or defense industries.
>>
>>62230308
It means you can write C and it compiles to C++ for ardunio you sperg lord
>>
>>62230539
wrong, you must write c++
>>
>>62229563
Usage: flc [-a|-p] FILE1 FILE2
-a show lines unique to FILE1
-p show lines common both to FILE1 and FILE2
in the absence of either -a or -p assume -a.

flc (file line comparator), a tool I made that will look for lines of FILE1 that are absent/present in FILE2, that I made first in C. Later on I remade the same program in Python and Common Lisp (sbcl), I tested them on the same data sets, and found out that the python version is 26 times slower than the C version, while the lisp version is some 4ish times slower.
So for this particular case, lisp woulda made a heck of a lot more sense considering development time and results.
Actual usage case is something like this
flc -a <(find ~/Books/BOOKS -type f -printf '%s/%f\n' | sort | uniq) <(find ~/Books/old-books -type f -printf '%s/%f\n')

it prints a list of file-size/file-name of files in ~/Books/BOOKS that are in ~/Books/old-books.
>>
>>62231524
Doesn't diff do that?
>>
File: 1504424239135.png (74KB, 761x576px) Image search: [Google]
1504424239135.png
74KB, 761x576px
>>62230308
Wrong faggot. You can upload a c program directly to the atmel chip. Stupid cunt.
>>
File: 1504136584320.gif (295KB, 700x704px) Image search: [Google]
1504136584320.gif
295KB, 700x704px
https://balau82.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/programming-arduino-uno-in-pure-c/

How does it feel that you are contributing to /g/'s shit quality?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.