[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vulkan thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: Vulkan_API_logo.svg.png (6KB, 220x58px) Image search: [Google]
Vulkan_API_logo.svg.png
6KB, 220x58px
Is this the future of graphics API cross platform?
Will OpenGL still have its space? How can Metal 2 even compete?
>>
>>62222112
Yes, OpenGL will exist as long as programmers don't have all the time in the world.
>>
metal competes solely because apple does not support vulkan or modern opengl
>>
>>62222112
Waiting for some books to come out on this.
>>
>>62222112
I think you misunderstood a couple of things.
OpenGL still is and will continue to be the first choice for almost all graphics programmers. Few people realize that you can reach almost zero graphics overhead with only OpenGL with the right use of batch draw calls and clever use of VBO data.
Vulkan is not meant to be used by end users (e.g. game developers) but it is an attempt to standardize low level graphics implementations to facilitate the work for people developing middleware or software where determinism is important.
>>
>>62222442
But, Doom does have vulkan support. In fact its better than OpenGL...
>>
>>62222112
>Is this the future of graphics API cross platform?
ye
>Will OpenGL still have its space?
nah, I expect simplified wrappers built on top of vulkan that expose opengl-like-like api to appear
>How can Metal 2 even compete?
it can't. post-jobs apple is truly retarded
>>
>>62222646
Yes that is true. But remember that Doom is an old codebase that has been used as a benchmarking standard for extreme optimizations (see: people running doom on embedded machines and stuff).
For some existing old and stable codebases vulkan would be an interesting experiment but I don't think many applications will start development with Vulkan, because it is an unnecessary drop in abstraction with very little performance advantages over properly used OpenGL.
But I could be wrong, there might be a movement to rewrite OpenGL on top of Vulkan, effectively replacing it as the core GPU interface.
>>
>>62222112
>Will OpenGL still have its space?
Given how horrendous Vulkan support is on Linux laptops, yes.
>>
OpenGL is not going anywhere, Vulkan is intended to offer a great degree of control to graphics programmers over the operation of the graphics pipeline for squeezing out greater performance from the same hardware but most programs simply don't work the GPU hard enough to make it worth using

It's like how assembly (or C if you want to go that route) still finds occasional use in a world of high-level languages, it's not called for in every situation but when it is needed it makes a difference
>>
>>62222883
He's referring to the new Doom game that came out last year, it lets you switch between OpenGL and Vulkan in the settings menu and Vulkan has a noticeable speed boost particularly on AMD cards
>>
>>62222112
Vulkan is so good on the PS3 emulator.
>>
>>62222112
OpenGL 4.6 was just released, I don't think they're done with it just yet.
>>
>>62222112
OpenGL dir beginners and quick projects
Vulkan for everything else
>>
File: 1504375705519.jpg (26KB, 529x399px) Image search: [Google]
1504375705519.jpg
26KB, 529x399px
>>62222883
I like popping in on you guys. Seeing bumpkins interact is adorable.
>>
Vulkan assumes people playing vidya are consistent when it comes to driver updates, since in comparison to DX, Vulkan is like OGL in that it's reliant on drivers, and with Brink and Rage destroying launches entirely due to driver issues and retard customers, it's gonna take a lot for devs to give an OGL-based API a shot again, especially since it should be assumed that every AAA studio is loaded with people used to D3D, and it's not exactly interchangable

Aside from id and Linux port factories, when was the last time you ever saw a mainstream OGL game on Windows? UT2k4? As it stands, we've only just now started getting DX11-only games in the last few years, instead of some dual DX9/DX11 setup due to XPfags ruining things with DX10, and the only non-MS DX12-only games are doing the same thing by adding a DX11 fallback for Windows 7 people, meaning it's a shitty half-assed DX12 implementation that had split development alongside DX11 (i.e. DXMD). Adopting a brand-new API is apparently a slow/scary fucking process for devs
>>
>>62227438
You had to dig into the config to switch to OpenGL in UT2004. Why Doom 2016 wasn't your first guess I have no idea.
>>
>Those struct setups for devices and whatever in Vulkan

What the fuck is happening
>>
>>62227626
You dont like it?
>>
>>62227545
>Aside from id
It's practically a given because they're the only dev that's made it a golden rule to only use it and other free stuff, and you can bet Todd would change that if Carmack didn't make that part ironclad with the Bethesda deal
>>
>>62227626
>those context creation and extension loading in OpenGL
Don't worry, someone will write frameworks for brainlets like you soon enough.
>>
Shit tier support on most platforms
No thanks.
>>
>>62222112
OpenGL begin monolithic Graphics API standard from Kronos, Kronos profesional user want stable API, Hardware and Videogames want superior API.

Vulkan begins test field of Spir-V(standard low representation chip), modular system and tools for programming Vectorize and Graphics Chips,you could build modular GPU API means easy change to adapt new needs or hardware, over monolith OpenGL.

Yes future Graphics on next decade, today just use OpenGL, on Apple thing use Metal.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.