[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GNU plus Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

File: GNU+LINUX.png (214KB, 800x360px) Image search: [Google]
GNU+LINUX.png
214KB, 800x360px
DISCUSS
>>
>>62214094
This picture is retarded and you obviously have no idea what GNU is.
You can't use any modern linux based operating system without GNU code.
Saged.
>>
>>62214209
Only because there's not alternative to GNU. Of course you can't use a Linux Kernel on its own.
But GNU is basically stopping Linux from living up to its full potential.
>>
>>62214094
>You can't use any modern linux based operating system without GNU code.
That's the whole point/joke of the second half of the picture, dumb GNUmale.

>Saged.
Sage hasn't worked on /g/ for years, go beck to le reddit newfag.
>>
>>62214209

Does android use GNU code?
>>
>>62214094
There's nothing wrong with GNU
>>
>>62214094
Accurate. There isn't much to discuss.
>>
>>62214209
You can, though.
>>
>>62214209
I don't think that's OP's point. It's more about GNU being the worst part about the OS so it has to be cut off and replaced with something new.
>>
>>62214209
You literally can, the only gnu required is GCC but that's quickly becoming not so
>>
>>62214094
I'D LIKE TO JUST INTERJECT FOR A MOMENT...
>>
>>62214277
these dubs don't lie
>>62214094
You're right, OP. However the worst is the software provided by bistro grill masters.
>>
GNU is shit.
Their philosophy is retarded.
Their programs are slow and bloated.
Their license isnt really free.
>>62214209
alpine, sta.li just to name a few
>>
>>62214094
There will always be people that either hate something, or like something. At least in the linux community, you get to develop something new if the old isn't working for you. So where is your home-made alternative for GNU? I wanna see what the complainers can make.
>>
>>62214094
It's GNU+Linux
>>
>>62214456
I know. That's the problem.
>>
>>62214391
clang can replace gcc right now.
>>
>>62214455
sta.li for example uses musl instead of glibc, sbase and ubase instead of coreutils, mksh for bash, etc
>>
>>62214489
Linux code partially depends on GCCs non-standard behavior, so no, Clang can't replace GCC.
>>
>>62215354
Time to change that
>>
>>62215861
If you have nothing better to do with your time, feel free to do so.
>>
>still using Linux instead of the modern Redox OS
>>
>>62214094
HURD will never be a thing
>>
>>62214254
Yes
>>
Brainlet here, can someone tell me why gnu and the gcc is bad?
>>
>>62217973
Proprietary is the only way to go.
>>
>>62217973

Because GPL limits your liberty.

LLVM is far superior.
>>
>>62215354
People have compiled the kernel with clang iirc
>>
>>62217919
It doesn't as google is a gpl hater.
>>
>>62218169
Do you mean the ability to sell your code?
>>
>>62214237
Actually it does, retard
>>
>62218478
>there is no (You) for retards
>>
>>62218727
>no argument
>i know i'll act like a 12 year old shithead that'll show him! praise KEK!!
>>
>>62217906
;-;
>>
>>62214209
Da
>>
>>62214209
I do.

>>62218478
You can sell GPLed software
>>
>>62217973
The GPL license isn't free enough because requires you to use the GPL license on any forks of GPL software. While this restriction supports the free software movement, it is an inconvenience to people who want to use the source code to make software that is more proprietary or software that is more free.

The original BSD license and its variants just require attribution to the developer and that's it. No restriction on licensing. It's more free than the GPL.
>>
>>62214418
>Their programs are slow and bloated.
gnu yes is faster than your cuckware yes.
>>
>>62215354
Debian based but you can subsitute for your own package manager building environment. Kernel 4.12

https://github.com/ramosian-glider/clang-kernel-build
>>
>>62219033
Only if you give them the source code
>>
>>62219844
and that's wrong how?

if you don't like it. pay for a license that agrees with your usage and distribution faggot.
>>
>>62220165
Why would they buy it when they can get it for free?

GPL is a USERS license it does not take any interest in the developer. Its a cuck communist license
>>
>>62214230
what is busybox, what is llvm ? The fact that they are always shipped together is a testament of how well they fit
>>
>>62220189
because most GPL'd software offers commercial licenses that can be tailored for your usage.

this is important because then freeloading nigger companies can't abuse the spirit of the free licenses to unjustly profiteer.

for instance at my job they had to GPL a part of the system because of a IPC mechanism they were using was dependent on source code that was relicensed GPLv2 and they couldn't afford the commercial license terms.

thus everyone won.
>>
>>62220358
>they had to GPL
Forcing a developer to give up his code in able to be part of the "hip gpl system"?
That sounds like communism to me
>>
>>62220394
lmao?
it's communist because some cheap medium cap business couldn't afford to use software that was written in the public interest in a way that denies their customer's freedoms to study and analyze the code running on some ARM based controller?

I don't think you know what "communism" or "force" even means.
>>
>>62220209
mediocre tools that lack feature parity with GNU equivalents for no obvious benefit other than being anti gnu?

also busybox is trash. just shipping dynamically linked binaries is easier than setting up a toolchain just to build some binary that will likely get you sued for anyhow.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.