[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ROR/ what do you guys think abt ruby on rails

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: ror.png (4KB, 380x133px) Image search: [Google]
ror.png
4KB, 380x133px
>>
Deprecated by Node.js.
>>
File: Sage2.jpg (396KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Sage2.jpg
396KB, 1600x1200px
Garbage on railroad
>>
Dead

It infuriates me we're still forced to use it for our grad projects at uni, the world has moved on and we're still here brainfed the fact that you must "only use js for aesthetics" and "what if javascript is switched off", no, all modern browsers have it out of the box and the average Joe Bloggs isn't going to have it turned off, the business I work for has its main product written in nodejs and is very successful, so uni can fuck off with its dead mindset.
>>
>>62214694
Kill yourself Javascript babby. This is why webdevs are seen as retards.
>>
fucked up ruby community
>>
Not a webdev but I'm quite sure only the hardcore Rails users didn't move to the latest FotM framework. It is rather easy to setup but I don't see how anyone would want to write large scale apps in Ruby. Twitter used it so it must be good for prototyping/bootstrapping your app though.
>>
Complete waste of time now, do not bother.
>>
>>62213757

I earn my living writing ROR, so I guess I think it's good.
>>
>>62215241
What other tech do you use?
>>
>>62213757
I don't like its gem system. If a system lacks required libraries, it provides no useful information after failing.
>>
Full of shit and fucking slow.
>>
>>62215241

JavaScript, I guess? Nothing too unorthodox, just jQuery and some libraries like ExtJS for some page elements. Not every ticket I get involves js though.
>>
>>62214694
You should be fucking thankful for learning another language. It's the only way you'll get the hang of others more quickly. I didn't exactly like Ruby when I had a project in it for uni, but with all its magic it's actually quite a good demonstration of how things can be done in other ways (implicitly) too. Broaden your view once in a while, ffs.

Other than that, JS and Ruby have quite different purposes... That's like saying you shouldn't program a backend in language X because "nodejs can do the same". The language and framework used will be dependent on a myriad of requirements, so you might as well quit now and flip burgers if you only want nodejs (of all things, lol).
>>
i have no interest in ruby
but should i try to learn Crystal now and wait for it to get ready? look too promising to pass
>>
>>62213757

rails is great. easy to make anything from a cms to an ecommerce platform to react apps driven by a rails api.

get paid to work with it. that's neat. also ruby is a neat language
>>
>>62213757

bloat
>>
>>62213757
Slow garbage.
Twitter was once RoR, but it obviously couldn't scale.
>>
good: great framework. fast prototyping, everything jus werks, large community, chances are if you want to do something, someone has a gem for it. plenty of companies still use it, though not as many as before.

not good: easy to learn, hard to master. you'll constantly be learning little quirks about active*. once you use it long enough, the magic of everything working (which is just autoloading everything everywhere) gets in the way. hard to customize. rails isnt meant for easily selecting what pieces you want and where. but at that point, that's when you start to move on to more minimalist frameworks like sinatra or hanami.
>>
>>62213757
It just werks. But there are better frameworks for Ruby.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.