[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into the GNU lifestyle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Gnuandtux.jpg (67KB, 620x434px) Image search: [Google]
Gnuandtux.jpg
67KB, 620x434px
How do I get into the GNU lifestyle?
>>
>>62201537
1. Install GNU/Linux
>>
>>62201537
Install Linux, of course.
>>
File: 1444691984062.png (727KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1444691984062.png
727KB, 1024x768px
>>62201667
>>62201871
Sure but I want to take it to the next level.
>>
>>62201899
What you’re referring to as GNU, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather a group of free components of a fully functioning GNU/Linux system made useful by the Linux kernel and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>62201899
Buy a libreboot laptop or Libreboot one yourself. Use FSF approved distros (I like parabola). Be much safer browsing the web. Use only free JavaScript. I browse with librejs and umatrix.

To use 4chan specifically, for example, I disable all site JavaScript, use 4chan X instead, and keep Google's JavaScript disabled, so I can use the noscript captcha (which happens to be a LOT more convenient, too, since there are no fading images, although sometimes it thinks I'm a bot. In that case I refresh until it changes its mind)
>>
>>62201537
just use a distro that gnu shills. then waste your life fixing shit that doesn't work because you can't use proprietary drivers.

for the record, anyone that turns an operating system into their circlejerk religion is a waste of sperm.

this includes archlinux and gentoo users obsessing over being bleeding edge while accomplishing no real work.

this includes bsd and gentoo (yet again) fags mindlessly compiling shit in hopes of getting a fraction of a seconds worth of a performance increase.
>>
>install GuixSD GNU/Linux distribution
>install Emacs
>leave MS Word, use either LibreOffice or LaTeX
>disable JavaScript in your Firefox because obfuscated JS component don't respect your freedom
>Use this "freedom" word in nearly every sentence. Also if you are English speaker use word "free" so it gets confused with liberty and price
>if you are software developer, GPLv3 is the way to go, this will stop any potential proprietary development because it's such plague they either have to make their project GPL licensed as well, or get a bunch of lawyers to get a clear answer what they can do with your component
>obfuscate your code with horrible syntax, make essays over documentation (non-linear story telling is the best in this case) and put as much broken and unnecessary features in as possible
>don't pay for public toilets, rather shit on street
>use 20 years old 32bit hardware
>whenever communicating with someone, may them suffer for your arbitrary restrictions like using Tor so you have slow and unstable connection that freezes video call every minute
>if they complain, mention respecting your freedom
>>
>>62201537
get a compatible thinkpad
libreboot it
install FSF approved distro
use exclusively free software
ascend to a higher plane of existence
>>
>>62201537
install one of these https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
you probably have to get a thinkpat, I dunno how many are librebootable but the T60 and x60 definitely is
dunno if it's worth it but that is what you want
>>
>>62201899
eat shit from your foot
>>
>>62202211
>>>62201537 (OP)
>get a compatible thinkpad
>libreboot it
>install FSF approved distro
>use exclusively free software
>ascend to a higher plane of existence

Exactly this + learn emacs
>>
>>62201899
Just keep going. Choose to use open source products, look into fixing your PC issues from the CLI and be independent, contribute code (or learn code) if you can.

GNU/Linux lifestyle is just that, living. It is the journey, not the end point.
>>
>>62202445
How difficult would it be for someone who is accustomed working in simple editors such as vscode and sublime to switch to emacs?
>>
Firstly, it's not lifestyle. It's GNU/Lifestyle.
>>
>>62202445
Why not Vim?
>>
>>62202865
using vi(m) is not a sin, but a penance - our lord and savior
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.