[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

redpill me on fedora. tempted to switch to it from debian, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: fedora.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
redpill me on fedora. tempted to switch to it from debian, but am worried about the stability.
>>
I've been using it for about a year and a half and have never had any stability issues
>>
>>62201220

how about software availability compared to debian? is it any good?
>>
>>62201259
I'd say it's good (I have no metric to back this up besides never not finding software I wanted) and it's more up to date than Debian software, obviously. The kernel is very up to date as well.
>>
used it for 10 years before switching to arch, i prefer the arch way. i didn't have to compile from source as often and i didn't have to install a new version of fedora every 6 months
>>
It's great if you don't mind upgrading every 6 months. Gnome on wayland has been smooth as silk for me.
>>
it just werks

Every distro has its own plusses and minuses. I think Fedora's package manager, dnf, is better than apt, mostly because of apt fuckups where removing, say, the e-mail application removes your entire desktop environment. Don't know if that still happens.

For example yesterday I wanted to try out the mainline kernel (4.13rc7) and it was just
dnf ----releasever=27 install kernel
>>
One thing though, Anaconda (the installer) is bad and very poorly laid-out. It quits on any error (can't find libbullshit? terminate installation) and setting things up like the partition layout or the time and date or users is a never-ending clickfest and adventure-game-style "find the hotspot"
>>
>>62201477
Why four hyphens?
>>
File: 710310480666152.jpg (14KB, 216x221px) Image search: [Google]
710310480666152.jpg
14KB, 216x221px
>>62201477
the same happened to me on opensuse, i wanted to install gcc and it wanted to remove desktop, i said thanks and went back to kubuntu
>>
>>62201585
typo

Reminds me of university, whenever the professor made a typo in one of the formulas the student would be driven mad trying to understand it, then finally someone would ask what the fuck it means and the professor would go, "typo" and correct it.

t. blogger
>>
>>62201078
if you want stable fedora, use CentOS. Each version is supported for 10 years.
>>
>>62201477
dnf is terrible. Fedora 24 was the last good release because it still used yum. Honestly, I tried Fedora 25/26 and dnf was so slow and unusable that I had to quit within a week. Good thing Cent still supports the old version.

>>62201505
This, Anaconda is a fuckfest, especially during partitioning.
>>
>>62201375
I smell bullshit here. 10 years? Why not 30?
>>62201477
it's slow as fuck, though
>>62202291
openSUSE is tempting. It looks like the most complete distro out there but there is just to many complains about it.
>>62201505
>It quits on any error (can't find libbullshit? terminate installation)
But isn't every installer like that?
>>
>>62201078
Fedora 26 is rock solid. Even the beta was more stable, in my experience, than Ubuntu.
>>
>>62202851
CentOS user here, I dealt with Anaconda and can attest that it's buggy as hell. I've installed OpenSUSE, Debian, Ubuntu, Manjaro and countless other OS's but holy shit anaconda was the worst I've ever used.

>>62202904
I hope in 5 years when Cent switches to DNF, it isn't as unusable as it is in 26. Yum is so much faster.
>>
File: 1245357748766.jpg (82KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
1245357748766.jpg
82KB, 800x535px
>>62202851
>I smell bullshit here. 10 years?
Started using Fedora Core 2 in 2004. I switched to it from using Red Hat since 1999. I then tried Arch in 2014 and have stuck with it since then.

>Why not 30?
I can't tell if you're butthurt that someone has used linux longer than you or just stupid.
>>
Imagine if Ubuntu never started being shit and instead became a decent desktop distro. That's fedora.
>>
>>62201078

I've had less issues with Fedora than with Debian
>>
Fedora is a great and stable os. the installer is the best there is imo.
And dnf is nice package manager. but you probably want to install rpmfusion repos rpmfusion.org
>>
>>62205095
oh, and the version upgrades just werk
>>
No issues with stability whatsoever. However:

>It's slow
>Lots of fun meme software you read about for doing things like converting images to ASCII just isn't available
>A few weird frustrating issues that I don't really understand due to lack of autism (If I put a file in my ~/Desktop folder, why doesn't the folder appear on my actual desktop?)
>Can't install Pale Moon for added memery
>No Flash Player because of >muh proprietary software
>Sometimes, images, gifs and videos just won't load for no reason
>Generally worse than Mageia, which I used before Fedora

But in terms of stability, it's fine.
>>
Considering switching to fedora myself. Ubuntu LTS is nice in terms of stability and just werks, but it is in an awkward stage right now where a lot of the packages are getting stale. cant even get the latest version of python in the repos.
>>
>>62201078
might be useful for office computers, I don't see why anyone would use this as their main distro
>>
Used it some time ago before moving to Arch and went back since Fedora 24. Stability isn't an issue. In fact, it's the most stable and up-to-date distro I have ever used. The con of it's freshness is that you may have some problems using packages out of it's official repositories or RPM Fusion. Screen tearing may be a problem too, but it's easy to find workarounds for that depending on your gpu or desktop environment.

Other con could be SELinux, but it's easy to configure to permissive mode if you have any problems with it.

DNF is easy and fast to use. Not so good as Pacman, but much better and simplier to use than it or apt.

TL;DR: use it with rpmfusion or korora and it's one of the better choices available in terms of security and stability nowadays.
>>
Gnome sucks and that would be the only reason to use fedora
>>
>>62206018
Implying fedora isn't available with other DE
>>
so, do i get it or nah?
>>
>>62209280
just try it out, what's the worst that could happen
dumb tripfag
>>
Fedorafag here. I prefer it to other distros because it's got all the packages I need and they're fairly recent compared to the alternatives.

That said, the installer is and has been shit for a while, the third-party repos are pure shit, and the community is extremely lacking compared to Debian, Ubuntu, or Arch.

I'd consider it an intermediate distro. If you know what you need and know that Fedora has it, you'll love it (after you clear the shit installer). If you aren't sure what you want and need to look around for this and that, you will be very annoyed and should stick with Deb/Ubu.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
>>62201078
here's all the red pilling you need anon

*tip* ;)
>>
>>62201078
their normal release is basically more unstable than sid and I find their packaging tool to be shitload better.

that's pretty much it.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.