[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/, Im failing through college. I got a "D" for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1430791715852.png (352KB, 686x576px) Image search: [Google]
1430791715852.png
352KB, 686x576px
Hi /g/,

Im failing through college. I got a "D" for my Data Structures C++ course, and I am losing hope because I am going to have to retake the course... again.

I am losing hope. How likely would a guy like me, with low language skills, find a job in Computer Science, IT, or related fields? Am I being too self critical?

I'm good at regular programming but Data Structures programming kicks my ass.
>>
Computer science degree scales with University popularity, what's your university anon ?
>>
Shouldn't really be a problem. Most of the shit programmers need to do is just glue pieces together. Rarely do most programmers actually have to even implement a tree on their own.

It does help if you're capable of it though.

Just remember, if you can write even some software you're already better than half your peers at college.
>>
>>62178038
Portland State University
>>
>>62178038
I meant computer science degree DIFFICULTY**
>>
>>62178045
wait until the employer sees his degree grades
>>
>>62177994
I got my BSCS with a 3.6 GPA and haven't found work in the 1.33 years since then.

You probably have better chances than me.
>>
>>62178069
Nobody cared about any of my grades at all when I started working after college. It depends on where you apply I suppose. You're definitely not going to work at Google straight out of college.
>>
You're not going to need any understanding of data structures beyond lists and hashmaps in 99% of the software jobs. However it's really alarming if a would-be programmer can't pass those courses with decent grades. Either the course is shit or the student doesn't know how to study.
>>
>>62177994
so wait. you are in a class, where they teach you how to pass tests. and you've failed, two times in a row now?
>>
>>62178128
Yeah, but with different professors.
>>
>>62178046
SHEEEEEEEEEIT. I went to PSU. Dropped out last year now I do DevOps for a website in beaverton, getting paid handsomely.

Karla's data structure classes are hard but doable. You gotta spend 20-30 hours on the projects and do exactly what they say. You'll get better grades if you follow the directions exactly (constructors, destructors, data structure type, etc), even if your program doesnt work or you forget a trivial feature or two. Pick your battles if you are coming down to the wire. Also, it gets way easier in 163 when you get to start using Java

Don't be discouraged anon, you'll be alright, just take the class again, they won't hold it against you when you apply for the engineering college.

Try to get a job in a lab doing computational research. Biology is a good place to start. Email Jason Padrobsky (chair of biology) asking if there is any work for informatics programmers currently available. You could also dry William Garrick, who manages the High-Performance/Research Computing resources. Work experience is way more important than a degree.

PSU isn't great imho, which is part of the reason I dropped out. However, since nobody there gives a shit or is dumb, there are plenty of opportunities to write research software and do other cool shit.

Best of luck anon
>>
>>62178213
so two people couldn't teach you how to pass the tests? how many is it going to take?
>>
>>62178047
This hasn't been my experience. I went to a mid-low tier university and my CS classes were almost identical to the free CS lectures put out by MIT.

However, more popular/exclusive schools will likely have a much more competitive upper division CS program with higher standards and yearly acceptance caps.

College doesn't matter very much anyways. I have a good tech job and am going through the interview process at google rn and I dropped out of uni with a 2.1 GPA. However, I have had several student software and system admin positions and a github full of software that people have actually used. So, end of story, if you want to get noticed and get a good job offers you gotta actually do shit
>>
>>62178213
What's your holdup?
What's so difficult about data structures?
If I took 2 classes of the same thing there's no way I couldn't get lower than a B even if I didn't try to learn
You're clearly not studying or not going to class every day
>>
>>62177994
you only need to know your data structures to get through the interview, everything else can be straightened out in code review.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.