[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is why Unity is the best destkop environment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: ubuntu-menu-hud.png (290KB, 1313x357px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-menu-hud.png
290KB, 1313x357px
Two killer features of Unity right here, but somehow hardly anyone knows about them. Why is it that no other desktop environment has these essential features? Are the devs all retarded?
>>
File: 1504002288366.png (44KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
1504002288366.png
44KB, 500x338px
>>62147915
>using titlebars
>using menus when you can just use the alt key to make it appear and dissapear when u dont need it
>wasting CPU power and ruining your HDD to index your shitty search to open up chromium
might as well use windows if your at it fa m
>>
If it's so good, how come it's dead?
>>
File: 1503742659629.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1503742659629.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
>>62147915
yep, gonna miss these features.
Ubuntu MATE guys are going to implement them in the next release. Too bad that all the things that they do are buggy as hell.
>>62148016
>making a life harder by cutting great functions and implementing keyboard shortcus where a mouse werks just fine
That is some GNOME3 mentality right here
>>62148073
because Canonical is a disaster of a company.
>>
I could do that shit on plasma 5 by pressing alt+space and run any command.
Unity is worse than Gnome 3.
>>
>>62148016
Did you actually look at the picture?
>using menus when you can just use the alt key to make it appear and dissapear when u dont need it
That's what this is. The menu appears in the same place the window title does. It shows up when you mouse over it or press Alt, and otherwise it shows the window title.
>wasting CPU power and ruining your HDD to index your shitty search to open up chromium
This is exactly what I mean - hardly anyone knows about these features. You're wrong when you think this is a search of installed programs. It's a search of the individual application menus, like Firefox's menu, or Gimp's menu, etc.
>>
>>62148343
So you're telling me KRunner can search individual application menus? I can use Gimp and do a gaussian blur through KRunner?
>>
>>62148016
>might as well use windows if your at it fa m
Windows doesn't even have these features, retard
>>
>>62148482
You can't. He's just retarded.
>>
>>62147915

Pic 1 is irrelevant when you run your application in full screen. And there are apps which still don't integrate into the top bar, the menu is intrinsically part of the app itself.

Pic 2 is not something you would use constantly, but still pretty cool to have. Although I remember that search menu turning up when unneeded, probably when I was trying to use Alt+F or something.
>>
>>62147915
Or just learn shortcuts and avoid screen clutter
>>
File: Screenshot_20170829_190549.png (18KB, 634x110px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170829_190549.png
18KB, 634x110px
Plasma has an extension for the first one.
>>
>>62149200
I don't see any menu there.
>>
>>62147915
It's from Gtk called Zeitgeist or something like this. However, it wasn't used actively but stored in a database you'd have had access to. Windows also has this.
>semantic desktop
>>
>>62150624
Windows definitely does not have this.
>>
>>62151115
Learn to Wangblow cuck
>>
>>62148016
>>62148343
>>62148852
>>62149200
>>62150624
The replies in this thread just confirm the OP. Nobody knows what these features are. This happens every time it gets brought up. People see the integrated menu and think it's the same as a global menu. People see the HUD and think it's the same as a normal file/program search.
>>
>>62148468
titlebars are a waste of space
>>
>>62153443
But you're still going to have the application menu either way, because it's an essential part of the application. Unity shares the same space between the titlebar and application menu. So it doesn't waste any space at all.
>>
typing this post on Ubuntu GNOME. keep living in the past Unity fags
>>
>>62154204
Keep losing more and more features Gnome fags.
>>
>>62147915
That's only a killer feature until you realize it sucks once you have more than one window opened.
>>
>>62154249
GNOME is the best DE there is with the most "features" by far, I don't understand

Unity was eye cancer, that's why Ubuntu is dropping it and that's why nobody on earth recommends Ubuntu over Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu GNOME etc
>>
>>62154315
There's a setting where the menu is embedded in the title bar when the window isn't maximized.
>>
File: 1500677148203.gif (240KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1500677148203.gif
240KB, 320x320px
why does /g/ never learn and is so backwardly retarded?
It's simple: menubars are a thing of the past.
Modern apps simply don't have menu bars. The fact that you need a search function to find what you need means the concept of a menubar is retarded.
Think of how modern programs are designed and you will understand why noone cares about this shit anymore
>>
>>62154619
Any program past a certain point of complexity will have a menubar or similar. Your Gnome Recipes tier apps are irrelevant.
>>
>>62154390
It has almost no features out of the box. You can't even fucking minimise windows. It gets its features from third-party extensions, which don't really count. Those third-party extensions are often shitty and buggy, because they don't have to care as much about code quality. Other DEs have extensions as well.
>>
>>62154619
There are plenty of modern applications with menubars. Atom, for example. The main programs that don't have them are those shitty Gnome programs with their shitty Gnome headerbars, that break consistency and tradition and standards and ruin killer features like these
>>
>>62154619
>menubars are a thing of the past
yes, clearly hamburger menus are the future of desktop applications
>>
>>62147915
you can have that in kde if you want
>>
>>62156246
Prove it.
>>
>>62155848
GNOME is beyond needing to minimize windows desu. It has moved beyond the whole "Windows 95 copy" phase. If you want a Windows 95 ui, that's fine. Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce are all great DE's as well. I think GNOME is the only one breaking ground, the only one pushing ahead of what MacOS and Windows are doing
>>
>>62147915
Honestly, you're not wrong. I WISH some other DE had this.

If Unity wasn't shit, it would be the best.
>>
>>62156347
This should be a pasta.
>>
>>62153443
This 100%
just use a tiling wm and stop getting cucked by the mouse and excessive gui menus
>>
>>62156760
You must be fucking autistic not to realize that the mouse is the the single best way to select an arbitrary point on the screen.

Tilling WM are for children. Real Window Managers can tile windows but can also layer them in any way, making it good for both graphical and terminal applications.

tmux + good WM > your ricer tiling shit.
>>
>>62147915
The integrated titlebar clips off part of "Firefox Web Browser" which looks ugly as fuck. I'm not giving my DE more resources so it can look so buggy
>>
>>62147915
It's dumb shit posts like this why Jesus isn't coming back.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.