[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a coding bootcamp worth it for me?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

>Be me
>Go into premed undergrad
>Three years in, hate every aspect of premed, develop interest in CS instead
>running MITM attacks in school library rather than cramming for physiology final
>end up failing few bio courses
>can set up Pi with website cloning to gather student passwords in the library though
>fail my pathology final
>set up a Hadoop cluster and learn machine learning though

I've taken a few CS courses, 3rd year AI and DB, algorithms and data structures, and bioinformatics. Scored 75-97% in them, but got grades like 48% in Anatomy.

Parents won't fund uni anymore, dad wants me to do the trades, convinced him to let me do an online Coding Bootcamp like Flatiron.

Is it worth it?

Furthermore, could I even get in? I know acceptance into the programs on campus are in the single digits (usually 8%), but what about online?
>>
>>62143332
I'm just going to be completely honest with you. Most bootcamps don't teach you mathematical concepts. You will leave knowing a language, but not how to use it...

For this reason, most jobs don't hire bootcampers. You're better off studying mathematics and learning programming on the side.
>>
How much is it?

I saw one in tokyo and it was a 12 week program for like 10,000 usd
>>
>>62143332
>https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-06/want-a-job-in-silicon-valley-keep-away-from-coding-schools

idk man it seems like you already have the skills and interest to do it on your own, you don't need to pay 15k to learn some javascript and CSS, especially if you're thinking about doing it online where you have little chance of making any connections like that
>>
File: 1498160523820.jpg (36KB, 840x840px) Image search: [Google]
1498160523820.jpg
36KB, 840x840px
No.

Your Dad's right. Stop wasting your money and time and grow up.

Go become an Electrician. If you're as smart as you think you are, and have a smidge of work ethic in you, you'll move up quickly.
>>
>>62143349
this but that doesn't mean you have to do a degree either. If you have ideas, learn how to learn the required skills and make something interesting to show people.
>>
>>62143332
seeing how you completely wasted your premed education, what's going to stop you from not doing the same shit while going to bootcamp? stop throwing your money away and just do a free online class like codecademy
>>
Coding bootcamps are a scam. Legit ones are either free or some small token amount just to cover costs.
>>
What bootcamps are for: For startups and companies to teach normies how to "code" as fast as possible so they can continue burning through funding.

You'd be basically wasting your money to take a speed learning class with people who are probably a lot dumber than you.
>>
Pen testers come from a variety of backgrounds. Find some vulnerabilities in some bullshit web app. Make it part of your resume. You might even get hired by said company.
>>
>>62143349
Most bootcamps teach webdev, why would he need math for that
>>
>>62143332
forget bootcamp. do this instead
https://www.hackerone.com/
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.