[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ approved alternatives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: unnamed.png (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
13KB, 300x300px
I want to get out of Facebook's grasp but all my friends only have Viber and Watsup, any other safe/encrypted alternatives?
>>
But Facebook is encrypted too......
>>
I've found not being a paranoid schizophrenic to be a good option.
>>
>>62135832
Riot/Matrix is the best alternative. All other choices people spew are all walled gardens. The entire point of Matrix is that you can use different clients and it bridges with other services (slack, irc, and there are betas for discord and skype). You can host your own server so that no company or org has access to any of your data. It's exactly the way I would design a communication tool if I was starting from the ground up. Use Riot as the messenger for now because it's the most fleshed out currently, but you can use others like weechat or whatever.

>>62135841
Facebook also makes its money data mining you and you shouldn't support apps that are walled gardens. If you don't mind being walled in, perhaps a tech board isn't for you.

>>62135859
It's not about being paranoid, it's about smart people doing smart things. The Internet is amazing but a lot of dumb people have created a lot of dumb technologies that are very popular but have very, very disastrous potential consequences. Smart people need to call out these terrible practices (like Facebook making shadow profiles for people who do not consent, the fact that it is a walled garden, the insane permissions their apps request, etc).

Smart people need to push for decentralized and encrypted solutions. The Internet itself only works because it is decentralized. Imagine if the Internet were hosted by one company? That shit could get Orwellian real fast.

>Obligatory fuck you 4chan for making me turn off my god damn VPN just to make a comment
>>
>>62136094
>what you're referring to as paranoid schizophrenia is actually GNU+paranoid schizophrenia
kill yourself before the voices tell you to kill someone else
>>
>>62135832
iMessage of course.
>>
>>62135841
Facebook is supposedly encrypted only when using secret conversations which are limited to a single device and don't allow group conversations
>>
>>62136244
Do you have an argument?

I have worked for consulting companies that provide hosting and backup solutions for local companies. I know how much access to data I had and still have. My guess is you're 17, don't know how any of this works, and you're on /g/ bc you like the battlestation threads.

It's not a conspiracy theory, trusting one company with all of your personal information is stupid. Uploading all of your contacts and pictures to FB and using it as your messenging platform means that you are not in control of any of that information.

Most normies don't care that they aren't in control. That's why it's important for the people that do know about technology and see the terrible path that could lead to try and build decentralized solutions now that will stand the test of time. Facebook as a company won't last forever, but the decentralized Internet will, and so far it looks like Matrix is the perfect communication technology that may very well stand the test of time itself.
>>
>>62136244
Maybe a decent metaphor is that the average person in the US doesn't know anything about car safety, and they don't want to know any details. They just want to know that a car is safe, and when they see some reviews telling them this car is safe, that's great. The experts put thousands of man hours into researching and designing something that is summed up incredibly simply... "it's safe" to the mouth-breathing normie.

The Internet is so new that there are a ton of unsafe practices occurring. Tech experts are already telling everybody what's safe and what isn't, people just aren't really listening yet. We need to make the push right now to get a handle on this and start steering this down the right path.

You calling me a schizophrenic for caring about core concepts of digital security is synonymous with somebody calling the inventor of the crumple zone a schizophrenic for caring so much about car safety.

I get it, you don't really care, but you probably would if you could see the possible catastrophe of doing this stuff the wrong way and then somebody with questionable morals being in charge of all of that data.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.