[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What has to change so the linux can capture significant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11

File: 1503824419310.jpg (271KB, 971x977px) Image search: [Google]
1503824419310.jpg
271KB, 971x977px
What has to change so the linux can capture significant share on desktops?
>>
>>62127641
Gayming and 3D design overall.
>>
>>62127641
The support for features normies use the most, for example videogames.
>>
>>62127641
Nvidia drivers
>>
complete and utter disapproval of Microsoft and it's software.
i.e Being exposed as a huge player in the botnet and leaking secure information as well as collecting billions of pieces of data that can be use to build a profile of it's user; create an ultra computing system that will recognize people by their actions not just their login info or accessing accounts and determine their future actions.
>>
>>62127641
It has to be preinstalled on computer, as an option. While a guide note, of how to modify the OS to suit the tastes of the user, should come with it as well.
>>
The community needs to stop being so hostile towards each other, for starters. Normalfags are put off by all the different distros and having 100 people yell in their ear about how x distro with y DE is the best and everything else is garbage. They don't want to spend hours tweaking their DE or hop to a different distro every week.

Secondly there needs to be less rabid freetards. I'm aware that they're a minority, but they're very vocal and most normalfags just don't care as much about free software. They can and should be encouraged to use free software, but having some wannabe RMS give them an hour long lecture about the evils of proprietary software and how they're retarded if they don't only use 100% free software that they compile themselves is incredibly offputting to most people.

Finally Linux needs more developer support, especially when it comes to things like games and design software. But these won't happen until Linux gets a good userbase, which can't happen until the first two points are corrected.
>>
>>62127743
They're perfect on Linux tho
>>
>>62127641
For home desktops Linux needs an actual competitor to MS Office (Libre Office is a meme). Most computer users don't even care for vidya that much, I installed Ubuntu on my 50 year old father's laptop 5 years ago and he liked it.
>>
>>62127641
Gaymen and Uniformity
>>
File: 1483738512686.jpg (30KB, 602x880px) Image search: [Google]
1483738512686.jpg
30KB, 602x880px
>>62127641
>>
>>62127641
Why is that a valid objective?
>>
>>62128632
>the community needs to stop having opinions and vocalizing them
???
>there needs to be less people talking about the major benefits of free software
look gamer, i know you think of your mom whenever you think of "other people", but in the real world people under the age of 60 actually do care quite a bit about how much microsoft is spying on them, just not enough to give it all up and change operating systems to one that probably doesn't have support for things they need for their education or work.
it's pretty obvious when you think about it that microsoft has a much easier time selling copies of their OS to dell or lenovo or whatever who then sell computers with it to businesses literally constantly, microsoft has a fluid income that way.
from there, their software spreads like a disease (from windows server which is actually a real thing businesses use regardless of how revolting it is to things as simple as excel) and takes control of the markets for jobs.
>linux needs to be more developer friendly
(and yes that is fucking synonymous, you can't expect them to just buy more fucking developers or something, and if that really is the hard version of your point, you don't have a point)
no.
here's a great example you can find evidence of on the sdl mailing list:
indie game developers start developing games for The Linux as well as windows
they find it easy enough, just compile the code that already guarantees portability via sdl
but wait, how will they ship sdl itself?
why, they'll just bake it right in so that nobody can have any problems!
that's (((basically))) how windows does it, right?
fast forward to reality, and the version of sdl they statically compiled in is outdated and probably has a shit load of security-related bugs
so how do the maintainers of it, worried over The Linux, deal with the problem?
they reinvent dynamic linking and throw it on top of sdl, so that in the future, the choice the developers make literally does not matter.
>>
>>62128045
>Being exposed as a huge player in the botnet and leaking secure information as well as collecting billions of pieces of data that can be use to build a profile of it's user
Well, we had Ubuntu selling that information to Amazon for quite some time, didn't really help them.
>>
>>62129293
please don't reply to me if you dont have anything intelligent to say thank you
>>
>>62128912
Neither proprietary nor free drivers for nvidia can handle crashes gracefully. From time to time I get crashes that cause the screen to stop refreshing (or let me move the cursor around for a little while before stopping in rare cases.)

These crashes happen when I use Chrom(e|ium) and I don't know exactly what triggers them. Killing X doesn't seem to do much.

On the other hand, Intel drivers can recover from crashes, which is what I expect.
>>
Support for industry standard software in all the creative fields, and no, GIMP isn't industry standard
>>
>>62129322
>please don't make counterarguments
nah
>>
>>62127641
The definition of desktop needs to change.
>>
>>62127641

The question is, why would Linux want to?
>>
>>62129358
you were arguing against things i never said or implied, that's called a strawman and isnt an actual argument
>>
File: 1454827711597.png (326KB, 453x566px) Image search: [Google]
1454827711597.png
326KB, 453x566px
>>62129293
>but in the real world people under the age of 60 actually do care quite a bit about how much microsoft is spying on them
Not him, but the people that were the most concerned were the ones that didn't really know how to use a computer but read some clickbait article saying that Windows 10 is taking photo of their butthole when they aren't looking and sends it to everybody.

Rest of them realize that their browser has been doing this kind of "spying" for at least 10 years now and the only way to escape it is to cut your connection.
>>
First we need a DE that doesn't look like an obsolete 2004 OS out of the box.

Then make it compatible with android apps like ChromeOS or something to start getting developers to release desktop versions of their shit
>>
It really baffles my mind that no one has created a distro with detailed tool tips and a few little guides on how to best use the operating system (especially for windows users coming over)

It would also be nice if it really showed the benefits of the operating system over windows

Most people install ubuntu as a starting point and when they cant find what they want in the software centre they either give up and go back to windows or get confused as fuck as they have to type in commands in terminal or get a few windows popping up about untrusted sources (which a lot of new people arent comfortable with as they dont understand what they are doing)

OSX and Windows are popular because you can be braindead and use them effectively.
>>
>>62129347
Use firefox, m8
>>
>>62129525
Zorin Core/Lite with Cinnamon/Xfce
Any GNOME
>>
>>62129395
>i-i never said that
nobody quotes directly in greentext
>>
>>62127641
A usable, unified and consistent desktop environment, websites that distribute prebuilt distro agnostic packages for retards to install, development support from large companies that have the ability to shill themselves as "professional" software (Adobe).
>>
>>62129711
it's not my problem if /v/edditors don't understand the use of the quote function, and you didn't even paraphrase - you just completely made up arguments to attack

now please don't reply to me if you don't have anything intelligent to say thank you
>>
>>62129698
That piece of crap can't even display webp images, and some of it's "security" is doing more harm than good, for instance using CSSOM on stylesheets from different domains. I gave up on ff back in 2011, because it was getting slow.
>>
The open source community needs to get its shit together and design production software that's better than GIMP, instead of reinventing the wheel a million times.
>>
>>62129817
>the quote function
>2011+6
>calling the implication symbol "the quote function"
>greentext is only for quotes
Shiggy Diggy Doo, not even that other guy.
>>
>>62129822
It's much faster now. Nightly was at one point faster than chrome, maybe it still is.
>>
>>62127641
binary
>>
File: Face_close_up.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Face_close_up.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>62129843
áž´>2^11 - 2^5 + 1
áž´>not blacktexting
You should retire already, because you can't keep up.
>>
>>62129544
This
I'm not completely retarded with terminals and I use them in android and windows quite a bit but I don't currently have the time to learn and debug a bunch of commands with intricate syntaxes spanning pages just to get my graphics drivers working.
The reason most people are more willing to use guis rather than text is because of the steep learning curve when a few swipes on their iphone is all it takes. GUIs are designed by professionals to appeal to people who have no idea how to computer, while terminal commands are designed by hardcore autists for hardcore autists. There is no financial incentive for these people to create and maintain a program that does not benefit them directly enough in a meaningful way.
Of course this does not apply to the actual normies who would ditch a PC for their smartphones if they could today, but the ""ironic"" meme spouting gaymer that are currently mostly looking for an os without the telemetry windows 10 has.
Ubuntu's pretty good as a browser for grandma though, since most of the fun stuff is locked under the terminal or an actual privilege system
>>
>>62127641
What is considered significant? It's already more popular than Fag OS X.
>>
>>62127641
Advertising and having it pre-installed on systems
>>
File: dance of my people.png (1MB, 987x604px) Image search: [Google]
dance of my people.png
1MB, 987x604px
>>62127641
Only ChromeOS and Ubuntu have any chance. Google should start working on desktop PC compatibility and not get stuck on the cloud meme. Canonical should fix retarded shit like not having full control on mouse sensitivity and being unable to install .deb files without downloading gdebi. Also the wifi service bugs every single time.
>>62128912
I had to turn off X and manually install drivers on Ubuntu for my 1050ti. After that everything worked fine, but every time I woke up my computer from a sleep the screen wouldn't turn on.
>>
>>62127641
Some distribution should get TV commercials and that that shit
>>
>>62131292
Yeah, Linux is shit when waking from sleep. I have issues with KDE Connect getting completely shut down, and thumbnails no longer displaying.
>>
Google/Linux has a chance. Anything GNU is not for normies.
>>
>>62127641
standardized software installation routines that aren't the package manager.

I don't think it's possible. I think Linux is fucked going forward. It's fundamentally broke.

Temple OS would be idea if it weren't just a toy.
>>
>>62127641

Nil, even with a dying desktop market.

Normies would rather opt for an over priced mac versus going full retard on GNU plus Linux.
>>
>>62132212
What's wrong with package managers? It's literally equivalent to the Play Store, just make a good graphical front-end and people will love it.
>>
>>62132251
shit ends up not on the play store all the time. thus the play store is pointless.
>>
>>62129134
probably wants more software to be supported
>>
carefree normie-package as preinstall.
>>
>>62132274
Such as? Most apps not on the store requires root and/or is shady pajeetware.
>>
Being mainstream wod mean forced NSA telemetry built in, though. If anyone wants that.
>>
Why would you guys want gnu/linux to be more popular? If anything you would think /g/ would want it to be small, elitist, and high quality. Not normie infested bullshit.
>>
>>62132413
ungoogled chromium

icecat

I'm sure the list goes on, but that's only yesterday for me.
>>
File: 1475475866353.jpg (17KB, 256x352px) Image search: [Google]
1475475866353.jpg
17KB, 256x352px
>Thinks strawmen are counter arguments
>>
>>62132629
Do you honestly see a normie trying to install Ungoogled or Icecat? It's niche software for tinfoilfags that most likely know how to install software outside the repo. Hell, iOS doesn't even allow to install software outside of the App Store without jailbreak and yet normies love it.
>>
>>62127641
why are end-user desktops the metric for success? Who cares about capturing more market share in such a small market when the B2B enterprise market is where the real cash is.
>>
Gayms or Windows 10 getting even worse.
>>
>>62133763
a-am I not a normie any more?
>>
>>62132831
Ahh... the Legend of Zelda CDi... That scene for YTP... All Linux needs is some refurbishment and advertising...
>>
>>62127641
Half Life 3 is an exclusive for GNU/Linux, and forever will be.
>>
>>62128500
This guy gets it. Most of the other early responses suggest features but features alone aren't enough.

If you want something everywhere you have to make it accessible to everyone and as it stands, installing your own OS is not something everyone knows how to do.
>>
>>62127641
The only way is to bribe OEMs just like microsoft is doing to make it preinstalled by default on every PC. Also, run smear campaigns against microsoft, apple and google just like they are doing.
>>
>>62136758
...so why don't we do this?
>>
>>62136817
We're not rich enough for bribing. We're already shilling against Microsoft and Google here, but not outside /g/.
>>
>>62136858
what if we just start mom and pops electronics stores then wage guerrilla war with best buy?

"shut them down"
>>
File: 1503486714359.jpg (20KB, 230x300px) Image search: [Google]
1503486714359.jpg
20KB, 230x300px
>>62129293
>anon says that people are put off by rabid zealots who freak out over literally everything proprietary
>you proceed to screech like a triggered autist

Methinks he had a point.
>>
>>62137143
>people are put off by the truth being told
methinks you don't actually know how people react to being told about real issues and your basis is shills on gee
>>
>>62127641
More corporate control over your work and online activity if you use commercial OS's. The growth of Gab etc. is a good precedent in the social network domain
>>
File: 1460888221604.png (230KB, 400x425px) Image search: [Google]
1460888221604.png
230KB, 400x425px
>>62128500
Being preinstalled is the best idea honestly, but modification is far less important to the regular user than people seem to think. Remember that many users are just someone's mom/dad/etc, who don't give a shit how something works. All they want is something that works and is on some interface they can already understand. You can kind of see this when you look at google searches, people type whole sentences and questions into google even though it doesn't really make a difference, it's just because they understand natural language so that's what they're going to use. You can see this with all the trends towards developing products that use voice interfaces. It's easier for a grandma to say: "[voice-recognizing-product]: what is [shit noone cares about]" instead of hoping on google and typing "[shit noone cares about] -[shit it definitely isn't] site:grandmarecipes.edu".

Even better game/software support wouldn't help, honestly. It would pull over people like me who still keep windows around for games, but that's because I already use linux and know what I'm getting myself into. You need a UI that they understand and can use, a normie-mode if you will. I think that's the biggest thing. Just do that and have a some kind of advertising that is literally just: "Linux is better" with no nerd shit and people would fall for it. They don't care why it's better, they'll just think "oh yeah I heard it's better". Ironically to beat MS, etc you have to stop giving reasons and just start manipulating people.
>>
>>62127678
and proper drivers for current hardware.
>>
>>62128500
>It has to be preinstalled on computer, as an option
You could (can?) get some Dell with ubuntu preinstalled. But it still a PITA since many tech departments don't give support to Linux unless is used widespread through the organization.

>sis works some state uni
>gave her old laptop with debian and openoffice (circa 2005)
>works fine more or less
>uni setup city-wide wan
>they can't setup my sis laptop due relaying on some cisco software for configuration
>had to install windows anyway
>>
>>62137283
Social media will always have de facto monopolies because most alternatives cater to a specific niche.
If you aren't a mainstream American conservative, for example, you probably won't find many people you share common interests with on Gab.
>>
I hope linux gets more popular, but not overwhelmingly so.

Maybe a 10% market share on desktops would be just about the sweet spot.
>>
>>62127641
Essentially the acceptance of proprietary software. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
>>
>>62127641
linux would have to stop being free, how in the fuck do you advertise something let alone make money from a product that doesn't even have a company behind it, it's contributed to by a number of companies. unless someone like ubuntu goes on a major campaign to spread awareness and workshops. but lets get real, those nerds aren't even on the same planet so i don't even know how they would present themselves to normies or even other tech companies
>>
>>62127641
I hope that I've been beaten to posting this. It should've been fpbp.

https://archive.is/QsWvV
>>
>>62127641
Why does Linux need to have a significant share on desktops?

Also, why is two percent and rising not significant enough? Also, what do you make of Chromebooks? Are they "not real linux" or do you actually mean desktop PCs instead of laptops?
>>
>>62138317
>An article from at least five years ago
OKAY MAGNE
>>
>>62138532
>he can't read that is still being updated
>the problems still persist
Fucking mandingos. Perhaps a video is more your speed since, you know, is not reading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKeWTVYBUo
>>
>>62127678
>>62127716
mad pajeets don't know about steam and wine
>>
>>62128500
Way back in the late 1990s I had an Abit motherboard with Turbo Linux in ROM.

It was great.
>>
>>62127641
Why would you even want that to happen?
>>
>>62138625
>>steam
>a bunch of indies games
>barely any triple A games
>>wine
>software in golden list on appdb
>doesn't fucking runs
>>
>>62127641
Ability to run Windows software natively.
>>
>>62138532
>2017 edition
>>
>>62127641
People learning more than they need to learn just to accomplish a certain task so they can repair things if they go wrong and not just call support or whatever and enjoy the workings of their software and machine. It's not going to happen.
>>
>>62138648
If Linux becoms popular all you dorks will lose your only defining characteristic.
You'll find it impossible to convince people you're so kewl when they learn how really bad Linux is.
>>
>>62138673
>>triple A games
>pozzed SJW-infected BS which nobody buys
>muh shooters
grow up faggot, most of the new interesting games are in steam
>>
>>62138625
Steam and its games run like dogshit on Linux
>>
>>62128912
This. Unless, these dingys mean laptop gpu's.
>>
Games need to come over, and Adobe needs to come over. Also having a universal package manager so one no longer needs to deal with the fuckery of every distro needing its own special snowflake package manager, hoping appimage fixes this shit.
>>
>>62127641
Macfags must die. It'll help everything, cancer, AIDS, global warming, poverty, starvation, poof, gone in an instant.
>>
>>62140484
You probably pressed the wrong button anon, works great for me.
>>
>>62127641
>Redhat centralizes control over desktop Linux development
>Devs are paid end mass to port or build competitive mainstream programming to the platform
>Top OEMs are paid to push Linux over Windows
>Media is used to push the Open Source meme and rightfully smear apple as a tax dodging walled garden
Viola
>>
>>62127641
why does it need significant shares? fuck off
>>
Nothing can ever make it catch on.

People buy a computer, and use it. Nobody would sell Linux preinstalled. If they did, people would get mad because they couldn't use their microsoft outlook anymore. People don't like change.

Linux is a hobbyist OS and there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>62132126
Hopefully google/Linux's gains will spill over into the greater Linux market. If enough of the industry moves to it we may see real drivers and developer support.
>>
>>62141111
By the time Linux becomes way better than Microshit, normies will flock to Linux because they have no free will or thoughts.

Literally all that will take is one game. I shit you not, World of Warcraft is all that ties people to Windows. (and that game is trash)
>>
>>62141111
I'd say "niche" more than "hobbyist". It has real world usage even on personal machines.
In particular it's becoming a common choice for people who just want a Unix-like OS for their work box. OS X used to be the de facto standard here until developers got sick of having to monkey patch it into something useful.
>>
>>62127641

Linux will never be for normies. Why?
Because they have no interest in customizing their OS and never will.
>>
>>62142079
You're seriously underestimating how much people hate change: even developers hate it. There are still some games being made in DirectX fucking 9 because it's what some dev companies are familiar with. DirectX will be the de facto standard for way longer than it ever deserved to be, and that is just a fact of life.
Windows has never been the best the market offers, Microsoft just bullied out the competition in the nineties and made themselves a monopoly. IP law means they don't have to try to compete because software needs their proprietary APIs to run properly.
>>
>>62127641
>convince every normie that Apple and Microsoft are racist
Seems easier to pull off than other suggestions ITT. Maybe Google's Intel connections can make it happen.
>>
I proudly run linux knowing that most people never even heard of it
just like I proudly listen to death metal, knowing that most people don't
same goes for anime, especially the violent, adult themed, old school stuff I'm into
same goes for sports, I'm into hockey and formula 1
our user base is big enough already, and it only ever grows if anything... linux doesn't lose users
>>
>>62142158
>You're seriously underestimating how much people hate change
no. YOU are overestimating how many programs normalfags use

4. that's it. that's why adapting to smartphones was easy as fuck for them. They don't give a fuck. They simply want what everyone else wants. Like mindless fucking simpletons. Automatons without feelings or individuality.

As soon as someone makes a single game, windows is done. And I know there are games on Linux, but they need THE ONE.
>>
>>62142235
>same goes for sports, I'm into hockey

As a leaf, it's funny to hear someone say they're into obscure sports like hockey.
>>
>>62136646
That would be hilarious if Steam only released on linux
>>
File: hm.png (79KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
hm.png
79KB, 600x600px
>>62142179
>>
>>62142158
People only hate change because they're afraid of breaking something that just werks. Fucking nigger mentality right there. Give a nigger a fishing rod and he'll use it for firewood.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.