[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on Rust?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: rust.png (15KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
rust.png
15KB, 200x200px
What are your thoughts on Rust?
>>
The BC was a huge mistake.
>>
>>62124282
BC?
>>
>>62124308
Borrow checker.
It's how Rust achieves safety, in the most incorrect way ever.
>>
>>62124308
Borrow Checker.
>>
>>62124317
>>62124320
this. it's a disaster
>>
>>62124317
>>62124330
Which aspect of their memory model do you disagree with?
>>
>>62124234
triggers C-tards

I love it
>>
>>62124347
The part where it rejects perfectly correct programs.
The BC is too coarse.
>>
>>62124422
I think C++ triggers Ctards even more.
>>
>>62124347
Learning Haskell was a breeze in comparison to rust specifically because of rust's borrow checker. I've never heard of anything so frustrating. The IRC channel was literally empty. Not a single person cares, apparently.

I was eventually able to figure it out, but since then I've been unable to figure out how to write refactor-able code. Refactoring parts of the application seems to create hundreds of seemingly unnecessary compiler errors.

Maybe there's some way to write efficient Rust, but I couldn't figure it out after a whole month so I just gave up and used Go.

That was my experience with it, at least.
>>
>>62124441
Meant for >>62124394
>>
>>62124422
>it rejects perfectly correct programs
this this this this
>>
>>62124422
That's what you get from trying to solve an insolvable problem each time you want to build a program. My main issue with Rust is rustc, not the language itself with is just fine (although I seem to understand this is part of the currently non existent but planned specification?). And the retarded community.
>>
>>62124444
check em tho
>>
Rust is trying to do everything Ada already did perfectly 35 years ago, just learn Ada if you want absolute error free programming
https://app.pluralsight.com/library/courses/ada-2012-introduction/table-of-contents
>>
>>62124444
checked
>>
File: Untitled.png (40KB, 445x357px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
40KB, 445x357px
>>62124513
>if you want absolute error free programming
Coq my man
kek captcha has Isabelle in it too
>>
Boring game. A lame version of Ark
>>
>>62124539
Wrong board, manchild
>>>/v/
>>
>>62124444
Can you give examples where you had problems with BC? Personally I only had minor problems with it, only when I had to deal with nested match statements.

I know it's hard to make self-referencing types, much honestly they're usually already implementation available on std or just a crate away.

Personally while the borrow checker was a pain in the ass, it did help me write better code.
>>
>>62124234
Rust is fine. Actually pretty decent once you get used to it.

I'm not using it because I need a good GUI library, not an undocumented wrapper
>>
>>62124234
I don't think about irrelevant things
>>
>>62124699
it's def relevant anon. some not-unpopular people say it's going to overtake C.
>>
>>62124308
Black cock
>>
>>62124842
who?
>>
>>62124867
Donald Trump among others.
>>
>>62124234
C/C++ won't change whole ecosystem, python/java/go/javascript developer don't care low level languages, OCAML/Haskell/F#/Scala saw rust as inferior language, swift begin in ghetto Apple, nobody love rust.
>>
>>62124921
>nobody love rust
It definitely has a community. I wonder whether it's a valid one though.
>>
>>62124921
Rust is the third fastest language you mentioned, it comes with automatic memory management without GC/Ref counting.
>>
>>62124234
I've been trying it out recently and once you learn how to do something, it's amazing how easily it all just works. There are far fewer gotchas than I have to remember in C or C++.
If it doesn't compile, it tells me exactly what the issue is. If it does compile, it runs fine too. Really a nice experience once I got used to the borrow checker
>>
>>62124444
That's the problem with Rust's "safety" model. It makes it impossible to write modular code that is amendable to change.

>>62124513
Ada actually does it in a sane way, Ada 2012 has obsoleted Rust.
>>
>>62124983
>t. Rustnigger
I think after seeing the latest shitshows in tech, people are going to be staying away from your SJW languages as much as possible.
>>
>>62125034
The only thing that can make people avoid Rust is the lack of user friendliness. Plain and simple, no other reasons
>>
Ugly faggot syntax.

Do you even need another reason?
>>
>>62124234
http://xahlee.info/UnixResource_dir/writ/lang_purity_cult_deception.html
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.