[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UPS for homelab

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: s-l1600.jpg (274KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
274KB, 1200x1600px
Hello /g/

I'm starting a homelab in my basement and I just recently bought a fullsize 42U rack to house the equipment, an HP 10000 Series G1. I got it for next to nothing on Craigslist and it's in pristine shape and included an RKM, a 16-port ethernet KVM, and most importantly two HP EO4501 240V PDUs. I think I made out pretty well.

I am trying to work out power distribution. I want to put both PDUs behind uninterruptible power supplies. Each PDU connects with a NEMA L6-30P locking connector and is rated for 24A. I need to find a single UPS with either 2x L6-30R receptacles or two UPS units each with just 1 L6-30R. The difficult thing about this configuration is that since I'm in a residential building, I have 240V single phase as opposed to the more nominal 208V used in datacenters and on most UPS units.

The closest thing I have found is the Tripp-Lite SU6000RT4UHV, which I believe works with 240V input and output and provides 2x L6-30R receptacles. However there are some bad reviews of this unit criticizing the way it works during a power failure, so I would rather avoid it if possible.

So long story short, any recommendations for rack mountable UPS units for use with 240V North American residential mains power and L6-30 connectors to HP PDUs, or anyone with experience powering server racks at home who can give me any tips? Thanks.
>>
>>62118077
A APC SmartUPS 3000-X will work. I have one and it can be ran off of 208V or 240V
>>
>>62118077
>>62118397
Also there is no reason to keep your PDUs, they arent network switchable. I have a pair of 2U APC switched PDUs, one for 120V the other for 208V. They were about $100 each on ebay.
>>
>>62118397

That doesn't provide an L6-30R receptacle though.

>>62118498

I don't really care that they aren't network switchable, that doesn't particularly matter for the applications I intend to use this for. I could always add a network switched PDU further down the road. For the moment I'm leaving these in as they're already completely wired in and provide 64x C13 plugs on 8 powerstrips, and the whole assembly is side mounted and takes up 0U in the rack.
>>
>>62118559
>That doesn't provide an L6-30R receptacle though.
yeah i forgot about that. My PDU has one and I forgot that I used a adapter plug.

Something makes me thing you aren't going to be pulling 12kW through your rack though so it shouldnt matter.

>>62118559
>I don't really care that they aren't network switchable
Then why even bother with the PDUs, just plug the equipment directly in to the UPS
>>
>>62118077
>no mouse
lmao
>>
>>62118619

>just plug the equipment directly in to the UPS

This seems completely impractical, not sure if you're serious. For one thing the UPS won't provide enough sockets, and for another cable management would become hell on earth instead of nice and neat short connections to the PDU extenders that are already mounted in the rack. I'm a beginner here but this seems like common sense.
>>
>>62118645
>For one thing the UPS won't provide enough sockets
Your pic has no equipment in it, and you dont even own switched PDUs. You aren't going to fill that rack. You clearly couldnt even afford to power a full rack as evidenced by the fact you're buying this shit off craigslist
>>
>>62118658

OP pic is just taken off some ebay listing on google image search of the same rack I bought, I never said that was my equipment. The rack I bought has the PDU and PDU extenders in it as well as the other equipment I mentioned in the OP, and I have a lot of other equipment on order that will be populating this rack. I just wanted to get power sorted out as a first order of business.
>>
>>62118685
>I have a lot of other equipment on order that will be populating this rack
No you dont if you dont even own switched PDUs yet
>>
>>62118711

I can see that you have nothing helpful to contribute here. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>62118735
>b-b-but my worthless PDUs and non-existant equipment which I cant even take pictures of and have to rely on ebay photos
>>
File: smile 3.jpg (18KB, 400x372px) Image search: [Google]
smile 3.jpg
18KB, 400x372px
>>62118798

>ask for a UPS with L6-30

>"I have zero reading comprehension, here's a product with nothing you asked for"
>oh shit it's obvious I have no idea what I'm talking about, better rant about how superior my switched PDUs are even though it has absolutely nothing to do with his question
>>
>>62118915
>I couldnt even pull 7.2kW with a space heater
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.