[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop Shuts Off Hardware Problem?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: well ok then.gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
well ok then.gif
1MB, 680x680px
Sony VAIO POS I'm trying to recover files.

Basically I can boot to linux from USB but in about 10 seconds it clicks and drops off.

It's had fan problems and fan replaced, and problems, but I don't think heat is the problem because it dies at about the same time (<30 seconds all told) regardless of what is booting, if it's BIOS screen, and regardless of how many times I've done it (stone cold seems no different from the dozenth time in a row I've tried to start).

So my assumption is:
>not the ram (Linux boots to desktop)
>not the MoBo (BIOS functions and saves settings)
>not a heat issue (cold vs 10th time same issue)

Windows 10 however does not boot and goes into a recovery loop which is longer than the seconds available.

My thoughts are:
>harddrive: the milisecond it tries to spin up the HDD which fails it just shuts down on the hardware error
I have no idea how to test this or if USB booting linux would touch the HDD before several seconds of desktop. Also windows tries to boot, I get the windows logo before recovery mode shows up, and I can make a choice.

So question 1: does any of this indicated good/bad HDD?

>other hardware problem: so like the fan not being able to test spin, e.g. the blade itself is stuck and when the computer tries to spin it, regardless of heat, and it doesn't everything shuts down. I feel like before it would spin for one second shortly after starting, but I can't be sure.

>3rd: CD drive doesn't spin up. Tried to boot with a linux CD and it didn't even spin. Would this trigger instant power off?

What else might BIOS functioning but powering off if you don't change and save settings in time, as well as linux boot from USB and win10 trying in it's own pathetic fashion?

More importantly what can I do to troubleshoot beyond what I've done? Taking it apart is no problem but I'd like to do as much as possible before removing the main shell.
>>
>>62117038
laptop is toast, some star-wars turret isn't holding the charge.
>>
not your personal tech forum nigger
>>
>>62117530
why does it boot and run, then die though?

>>62117572
well I did try posting on /k/ but they all just suggested different rounds to shoot it with
>>
First problem, not using thinkpad
>auto denote to pleb level
Second problem, kekd himself by not just taking hdd out and throwing it on a Linux vm (assuming that shittop runs winpajeet)
GTFO JAMAL
>>
File: what the fuck am I reading.jpg (103KB, 458x581px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck am I reading.jpg
103KB, 458x581px
>>62119000
>>
Welp, think I'm boned. Even on Missing Operating System screen it dies. HDD & CD drive out. Fan struggles to get going but spins and it still dies.

The chip sink gets slightly warm even in the short time it's on. I'm going to try alternate cooling then probably take up /k/
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.