[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do you fa/g/s do for backup?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

what do you fa/g/s do for backup?
>>
>>62114130
Google Drive.
>>
>>62114130

NAS

poorfags leave
>>
>>62114135
And what do you do for offsite backup of your NAS dipshit?
>>
>>62114130
I just wipe everything and start over
>>
Nonnormshitter: 3-2-1
>>
I keep irreplaceable things on Dropbox, since I have a lot of free storage space from referrals.

For all of my files, including my Dropbox, I use Time Machine which backs up daily.

We use Google Drive for some things at work.
>>
>>62114146
>nu-/g/
>offsite backups
Lmao. That's why they're such valuable targets for malware.
>>
>>62114146

Colocation server, dipshit.
>>
File: 1498083867282.jpg (64KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1498083867282.jpg
64KB, 960x640px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_memory_crystal
>>
>>62114135
What colocation do you use?

Is it possible to have that backup to another PC you own in another location?
>>
>>62114130
External 1TB drive.

I only hoard music in FLAC so 1TB is more than enough for that + personal data, don't give a shit about movies or storing anime.
>>
1tb vps with openvpn and netatalk.
>>
>>62114130
Now that this is dead ill either get their pro line or sevral encrypted unlimited gdrives

>>62114135
not a backup
>>
>>62114132
good goy

pat pat
>>
>>62115263
But you're keeping those on the same site, not at another location? And backing up manually or continuously?
>>
backuppc pointing to FreeNAS
>>
I do back up on an external. Planning on having a bigger drive in my main system running as a backup soon.
>>
>>62115263
A NAS is a backup if it's not the actual storage location.
>>
1tb cloud store mostly containing OS .iso files, obscure software, pictures, passwords, and documents. I don't genuinely care about anything else, if my computer bursts into flames, I can get a new computer fresh from the store and get it back up to full functionality in like two hours.

As much as /g/ might hate on this and mock it for being a botnet, Microsoft has an office 365 plan which comes with 5 licenses for office and 5 1tb cloud storage instances. I think that's a good deal just for the cloud storage if you can fully exploit it. I love the botnet and the botnet loves me.

I will backup at the same site as the computer I'm backing up in addition if it is essential for me to be able to able to restore quickly from a computer failure.
>>
>>62114130
Hahaha
I can't help but Luagh at those shills for crashplan here in /g/
God, they were so fucking annoying.
>>
Cold storage on DVDs:
par2cmdline (99% of redditors don't get how to use it right and will suggest winrar "because it just werks", except it's god-awful)(please steer away from reddit)
zpaq - error resilient, de-duplicating archiving with the best possible compression ratio you can get; an uncorrected flipped byte won't baloon everything. Useful on DVD-RAM
dvdisater - 20% on DVD+R
BlockHashLoc - my latest addition
Home storage:
Btrfs
Production:
I'm slowly moving from ZFS towards Btrfs with kernels 4.12+, RAID 5 (sorry, redhat, I won't touch xfs with a ten foot pole not even if you paid me to)
Don't fall for the cloud meme, unless the cloud is entirely in your premises. Data has gravity, and it's very expensive.
If your data is valuable, it should be replicated at least three times and one of the storages should be offsite.
>>
>>62114130

I bought a refurbed Chromebook which means free 100gb of Google Drive space. So now across my Linux, Windows and Android devices I share my important files via Google Drive.

I store nothing locally. Nothing can get infected. Just work on files in the cloud.
>>
>>62121475
>look at me being silly
here your (You), buy yourself a floppy disc with it
>>
>>62114130
lots and lots of USBs
>>
>>62121475
Until you store something that they do not approve of
>>
File: header_zazen-attitudine.jpg (25KB, 523x297px) Image search: [Google]
header_zazen-attitudine.jpg
25KB, 523x297px
>>62114150
Are we the only ones that do this?

I only keep a basic system image and a small external of some photos and documents.

The rest are menial earthly attachments, grasshopper. They are holding you back.
>>
>>62114130
Git. My downloads folder is literally a git repo.
>>
>>62114130
Rsync to my schools 1tb OneDrive :^)
>>
>>62114130
monthly writes to cold storage hard drive and optical discs

if there's a fire while i'm away i'm pretty fucked, otherwise if i feel like risking it i can grab the drive or a spindle pretty easily
>>
>>62114130
>what do you fa/g/s do for backup?
Telegram
>>
File: Media Drive.gif (178KB, 1910x914px) Image search: [Google]
Media Drive.gif
178KB, 1910x914px
I have a 8TB media drive and a 8TB external drive I use as a backup.

A 1TB drive for misc software and game installs, as well as projects. I back this up on an external 1TB, and my projects are also on a GIT.

And finally a 500GB SSD I use for my OS and any games/applications I play/use on a daily basis. This isn't backed up because it doesn't really matter to me. Software/game installers are kept on my media drive and my projects are backed up twice anyways.

I have a 64GB usb drive I carry with me. I've been thinking of backing this up somewhere but I don't think I'd care if I lose whats on it.

I'll probably invest in a NAS system in the future once I've filled up my 8TB. Anyone have a guide to setting something like that up?
>>
File: 1331136326534.jpg (349KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1331136326534.jpg
349KB, 1024x683px
>>62123508

But I need my 300gb of smug reactions for every scenario possible
>>
>>62114130
All my desktop stuff is file historied to a NAS and that's set up in RAID1. In a few years I'll have more bays and it will be RAID5
>>
File: 1468873648957.gif (301KB, 307x281px) Image search: [Google]
1468873648957.gif
301KB, 307x281px
>>62123643
>>
> companies finding that while most users of their services don't use much storage, there are always outlier users that use tens of terabytes or more, making the economics of such services untenable

so data hoarders ruined everything.

>A lot of Linux users have been asking Backblaze to make a Linux client. Backblaze said that's not going to happen because there are many Linux servers in home usage by data hoarders, etc. Backblaze recommends B2 for Linux and NAS users instead

hahaha
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.