[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wdg/ - Web Development General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 23

File: wdg_tiny.png (251KB, 824x553px) Image search: [Google]
wdg_tiny.png
251KB, 824x553px
>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
MDN web docs offer a good intro (independent of your browser choice)
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn

>Free online courses
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.freecodecamp.com/
https://www.bento.io/

>Roadmap
https://github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Resources
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
https://stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
https://caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Youtube channels
https://www.youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
https://www.youtube.com/learncodeacademy - codecademy
https://www.youtube.com/derekbanas

>in-depth comparison of VPS hosts
https://www.webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/
>>
My web server gets hammered by Chink and Russian bots scanning for vulnerabilities, looking for open proxies, referral spamming etc.

I'm thinking about fucking with them by redirecting malicious requests (based on useragent or request uri) to a big-ass file on some 3rd party server (like http://speedtest.tele2.net/10GB.zip). I'm pretty sure most of those bots are shitty enough to actually follow such redirect, download the content and try to process it (possibly crashing). Has anyone tried anything like this or is this a shit idea?
>>
Is is possible to make more than $10/hr freelancing all things considered?
>>
>>62111232
Only if you're actually good at designing or can do backend as well
>>
>>62111232
I do webdev as a hobby and I don't come out of my bed for less than 60 euro per hour.
>>
>>62111270
I can do some backend but my design skills need work. I can only make simplistic sites pretty.

>>62111304
You probably have a nice portfolio and a developed skill set, I'm just starting. I was one of those dumbfucks who bought a car for driving Uber but they've slashed the rates so much to stay competitive I had to move back with my parents to survive.
>>
>>62111232

Depends on a lot of things.

-where do you live?
-how good are you? do you have a bunch of customers in your portfolio?
-how good are you at selling yourself?
-is it a new project where you have to learn a lot of new things or can you basically copy&paste 80% from your last project?
-how wealthy is your customer? You can't/shouldn't bill a poor fag like a big player company..
>>
>>62111330
you need to stop chasing the next shiny thing man
just focus on one thing and become good at it
>>
>>62111330
Well, I don't have a nice portfolio but I do get clients through word of mouth. Pretty much every month. I have a normal job besides it.

I'm currently making a webshop for someone for 1500 euro. I am very clear up front what I will and won't do. Creating a custom theme and setting up something like prestashop will take me 2 days. Then adding a payment system which takes like 1 hour. Then I am willing to make two small changes after I'm done for free. And then everyone is happy.
>>
>>62111370

This.

When you like taxi driving, why not becoming a professional taxi driver? Do what makes you happy..

WebDev is not a bad way to make money, but if you don't enjoy programming and exploring new technologies, it might not be the right things for you.
>>
Is anyone from the UK?
How much should an entry-level job be paying?
>>
>>62111330
Backend is more profitable anyway and you only need basic frontend skills imo. My current gig pays 80 euros/hour for mostly backend php work with some frontend sprinkled in
>>
>>62111402

>I'm a WordPress """"developer""""
>>
>>62111479
>I work 7 days a week
>>
hey fellow devops, what do you use for load balancing/high availability? I'm using haproxy atm
>>
File: 020.jpg (55KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
020.jpg
55KB, 680x680px
>i make everything myself for 10 dollars an hour
>>
Does anyone know if any of the webdev courses, paid or free teach stuff like Webpack?

A lot of the courses seem to have been made 3-4 years ago and are outdated.
>>
>>62111502

The heroku slider.
Slide to the right for more bang.
>>
>>62111509
imo webpack seems daunting because of scaffolded tools like create-react-app.
You get that monster of a config.

Best way is to start from scratch and add things you need.
Start with specifying an entry and output JS file.
Add loaders for js(babel),css,images and any other assets you require in your code.

Throw a dev-server in there to serve and automatically reload your site.

Once that seems to go well you can start optimizing your output with "extract-text-webpack-plugin", "purifycss-webpack", "babel-minify-webpack-plugin" and so on.
>>
java develper here, I've always been curious how guys who work with front end firgure out new frameworks (like Angular2) so quickly given they don't have adequate documentation? do you look in the source code ?
>>
>>62111739

Fair enough, I'm sure it can't be that hard given how many people use it, it would just be nice if one of these courses was so up to date, it did stuff like that as you went along, not just as an afterthought.
>>
is copying html and css illegal?
>>
>>62111973
Both the design and the code are copyrighted.
>>
>>62111973
taking inspiration from something isn't
>>
>>62111402
How would you create a custom theme in just days?
>>
>>62112394
Just create your own framework, and add features to it with each new client.
So you can focus on making things pretty.
>>
>>62111194
interesting.
Maybe test it for a day with a smaller file (like 10mb) on another second server you own, to see if they actually go through with the download.
Or just generally experiment how to waste the most of their resources.
>request uri
that I guess. Anything to /admin, /wp-login and so on
>>
Is Treehouse's content any good, I don't mind paying $25 if its well structured content, and its the best there is. I am not looking to have the subscription for many months after all.
>>
>>62113211
I used treehouse for a month when I started learning and found it helpful in the sense, that you are guided along a certain path, when you have no clue yet what the next logical step would be.
After a while I started skipping over anything that weren't video lessons (code and quiz sections), set the videos themselves to 1.5x speed and coded in a separate editor instead.

If you set aside some time, you can probably go through a lot of content during the trial period.
>>
Php syntax is more similar to JS than I ever imagine... No clue why I thought it was super diferrent and difficult
>>
>>62111194
My website also gets hammered by bots. But the user agent of all the bots is the same, so I just blocked that.

Plus my website has several honeypots, which lead to a IP ban.
>>
Can I create a dropdown menu out of an already existing nav bar or are those two different things?

I've been playing around a bit, having some trouble, and it seems like the latter
>>
>>62113211
You can buy a bootcamp course on udemy for 10 bucks
>>
>>62113504
you mean in a responsive way, so that it's a navbar on desktop and dropdown on mobile?
You certainly can, but it needs to be structured in a suitable way.
>>
>>62113573

Is that better, I have no idea whats best, Looking for a Front End course as I believe its fastest at the moment, I have already done basic HTML CSS JS stuff so I can save time skipping that.

I have 2 weeks off work in a few days and would love to really make a lot of progress on web dev.
>>
>>62113594
>>62113573

Never mind just had a look, and that looks like really good value for a tenner. Ill go with that, cheers for the heads up.
>>
>>62113594

I've never used Treehouse, I was just bringing a cheaper non-subscription based option to your attention. Udemy has worked for me in combination with other courses like FCC.

You can just head to the udemy site and look at a courses full curriculum to see if it fits you
>>
>>62113662
not to necessarily defend treehouse or anything, but the nice thing kinda is, that it's not just one course. So when you are not locked in on only one specific thing you want to learn, then it has its advantages, since you can just jump between any course/track on a whim.

Wish udemy would be more straightforward with their prices and not do that borderline shady 95% off thing every second week.
>>
Reckon I will go with:

https://www.udemy.com/the-web-developer-bootcamp/

https://www.udemy.com/git-a-web-developer-job-mastering-the-modern-workflow/

1st seems to cover a wide skill set and the second seems to come and fill in gaps from an employer perspective.

>>62113803

Do they do these deals often, because I don't want to panic buy anything. Why would anyone ever buy full price, that's a massive price hike.
>>
>>62114110
>Do they do these deals often, because I don't want to panic buy anything.
Yes all the time. You never have to wait for more than a few days.
>>
lol node
>>62114173
>>
>>62111502
I use AWS ELB onto my nginx http servers which are themselves load balanced across two dozen app servers.
>>
>>62114353
Should I bother learning react anymore?

I just got a udemy course the day before the licensing thing.
>>
>>62114382
Yes. But also learn Vue.
>>
>>62114393
Aight.
>>
>>62114382
React is a shitshow in my book. It's performance isn't any better than Vue, but it's extremely rigid in its implementation. Vue is great if you need to convert a legacy application in steps because it can work like angularjs. For new projects, I like angular 2 because I don't need to wire up all my own shit to attach to the view layer, and TS is nice. My last two projects have been in angular 2, and I wrote so many reusable components that the second project took a third the time, but I got to charge the same.
>>
File: image.png (793KB, 459x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
793KB, 459x650px
What do you guys use for backend? Do you vary what you use in backend depending on what you are using on the frontend?
>>
>>62114645
Pleb taste.
>>
File: nodecreature.png (99KB, 273x464px) Image search: [Google]
nodecreature.png
99KB, 273x464px
>>62114346
>conduct coders create their own feel-fork
>Node devs continue working on Node
Doesn't seem like a bad deal really.
>>
What actual advantage would i get using pic related, insthead of writing my own in c++ using the standard library?
My database would go as follows:
SimpleFiles(databases) that hold formatted texts like: "ID=1;NAME=Hello;"
>>
have any of you guys gotten a webdev job with no degree?
>>
>>62114645
I wrote a php REST API library that hast let me down across 5 projects.
>>
>>62114830
I have. 150k architect job and no college. Granted, I have a very high innate proficiency for this shit, but if you can demonstrate competency, no college really gives a shit about a degree. They just put that shit on the posting to weed out the uninitiated.
>>
>>62114949
Really? Fantastic, thanks
>>
File: rYFWTiD.jpg (92KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
rYFWTiD.jpg
92KB, 800x800px
>>62114829
Are you seriously asking what's the advantage of using an already working and tested DB (any, not just Mongo), that lots of people worked on for a long time, that easily integrates into various backends compared to coding your own inferior version from scratch, that you will have to spend an unforseeable amount of time on?
>>
>>62115007
This. I didn't bother replying, but everyone thinks you are retarded.
>>
>>62115025
seconding this
>>
>>62115007
What are you guys talking about, who knows what bloat that i will not use is in there.
I could just:
>420db.exe Insert "GayFactor="Above Average";
>>
>>62115141
I can't tell if this is trolling, or if this person actually takes /g/ memes seriously.
>>
>>62115352
How do you expect to become proficient, if you use "technology you don't know how works"?
I can use my db now, then when i grow use the real bois
>>
>>62115887
Knowing how some junk DB you wrote works doesn't mean you know how a DB someone else wrote works.
>>
>>62115887
Then write a fucking flat file db in bash using sed and awk
>>
>>62115980
I could just implement newer stuff and git gud.
>>
>>62116398
There is more to a modern rdbms than you could learn in a lifetime. You have to "git gud" before you can even use one effectively.
>>
File: 1495338985638.png (87KB, 358x467px) Image search: [Google]
1495338985638.png
87KB, 358x467px
Would null values in this table be justified?

>have phone call info that are tied to two businesses
>sometimes, only one business is associated with the call. Sometimes none.
>if one or less businesses are associated, column(s) is left null

What do I do here brehs. I was thinking a many to many table, but what do I do about the calls with only 1 business associated?
>>
>>62111074
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.

I want to turn my Raspberry Pi 3B into a web server. Either host a website or later just the heavy parts of web/mobile apps (mostly databases, MongoDB or mySQL when I figure out exactly what the needs are).
Is that viable/safe? I don't expect a lot of traffic (basically just login and fetching settings for one app, and info about a finite number of foods/ingredients for another).

I was thinking of hosting it on OpenShift which is free if you don't have a lot of needs, or even on the pi if it's viable.

I don't have that much experience with back end web technologies, I'm in Computer Science and know algorithms, data structures, a bunch of languages like C, Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript, HTML and CSS along with a couple of frameworks for the front end.

btw, will probably use the MEAN stack for developing those (mobile might be in Java but still needs a DB).
Can you point me to any resources on how to do that, or why not to?

tl;dr is it possible/viable to host website/web app/mobile app DB on my RPi? Is it safe? Any guides?
>>
>>62119236
As long as you take all the usual server hardening measures nothing is likely to happen.
Do you expect random visitors and is performance or server response time of high priority?
Do you want to host on the Pi as a kind of personal project or to save some money?
How did you decide on MEAN specifically?

Just start experimenting on your local PC and get a simple express server going then.
>>
File: 1503285925907.jpg (108KB, 780x615px) Image search: [Google]
1503285925907.jpg
108KB, 780x615px
is it even possible to get a job as self-taught anymore? How good do you have to be?
>>
>>62114645
God damn, I want to live in that ass.
>>
>>62119510
Thanks for the answer, those are good questions and answering them makes it clearer for me as well.

>As long as you take all the usual server hardening measures nothing is likely to happen.
I will read up on server hardening.

>Do you expect random visitors and is performance or server response time of high priority?
I do not expect any visitors as of release time. I would assume, just like anything else, that it will slowly multiply traffic over time.

>Do you want to host on the Pi as a kind of personal project or to save some money?
I host all my project websites/web apps on GitHub pages right now. I am definitely interested in doing the web server thing as a project though. However, for 2 of the apps I have in mind, I need to have a database, which means it can't be on GitHub pages, and only I should have access to it. This is the primary reason (so, I guess, to save some money). I do NOT expect to make a single penny off those apps. If sometime in the future I put them on the play store or w/e and get enough ad revenue, I'll use something like Heroku or Digitalocean. This is not in the near future - the near future is me building stuff to add to my portfolio, learn back end development, and making personalized apps to solve personalized problems, for fun.

>How did you decide on MEAN specifically?
To be honest, I just fucking hate PHP, while Node.js looks much more interesting. Angular gets you jobs. I was learning React and then saw the BSD + patent thing and quickly moved away from it. MongoDB really has no downsides for what I want to do. Express looks fine also.
Bonus: Meteor with Angular is pretty much a MEAN stack, and I won't have to write my apps twice (mobile vs web). I know people shit on hybrid apps but if I ever need something to run better, I am really good at Java and can do it. I just don't want to for small project stuff.

Would you advice against MEAN? My primary goal is to build stuff, build a portfolio and get a full stack job.
>>
>>62115887
In case you are serious and/or anyone takes what you wrote seriously. There is nothing wrong with writing your own database, HTTP server, etc., especially if you approach it somewhat seriously and go beyond the simplest toy implementation, but if you're building something as a learning exercise you should not use it in production AT ALL.
>>
File: backend.png (108KB, 1280x776px) Image search: [Google]
backend.png
108KB, 1280x776px
>>62119781
>Would you advice against MEAN?
not really, like you said Angular gets you jobs and Node is also steadily growing more popular.
I like Vue for my own stuff but have to admit, that job opportunities aren't that particularly great, unless you are in china or something. Can only hope that changes at some point, since I like using it a lot.

Good luck with your undertaking in any case.
>>
>>62119781
>I hate php
>I hate jobs
>>
>>62120113
I will also learn Vue after Angular. Vue is basically if React and Angular had a super baby with the best of both worlds. I only left it for later because it's still new and not widely used, I expect it to grow really fast. Most of Angular will translate to Vue as well.
>>
>>62120354
Vue is the best of angularjs and react. Angular 2 is a different beast altogether.
>>
>>62120449
When I say Angular i mean Angular 2. I'm sorry I wasn't so familiar with web dev (my roots are in C ans systems programming) and when I got into it (a few months ago) I got used to thinking of Angular 2 when I see Angular. I think there's Angular 4 or something right now.

Still, even if I'm not learning angularjs, I'm pretty sure most of the philosophy and architecture of Angular 2 will translate to Vue, even if it has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>62120449
If i lean vue will i be able to quickly pick up angular and react later?
>>
>>62120578
Not really. Angularjs (angular 1) is pretty analogous to Vue, but react is out in the weeds somewhere with all the props passing and shit. Angular (now version 4), in addition to being written in typescript, which is actually pretty nice, is a different breed of framework, it's very heavy duty, but it doesn't force you to decompose your components ad infinitum like react, it has a few quirks, if you're coming from an angularjs background, such as the lack of a root scope, but once I got used to it, I liked it more than angularjs.
>>
>>62120528
Vue isn't really like Angular 4.x at all.
>>
>>62111194
yep zip bombs still work. try this
https://blog.haschek.at/post/f2fda
>>
>>62111458
good rate, which country?
>>
>>62121191
Now I'm torn. Vue seems like the perfect thing for what I need to build my portfolio and really easy to learn, but then Angular 4 = waaaaay more job opportunities, you know it's not going anywhere anytime soon, but it's harder to learn and especially for small web apps. What do?
>>
>>62121553

Instead ask yourself:
What would a free man do?
>>
>>62114645
I use go or typescript with node. trying out nim on a side project. excellent language
>>
>>62121597
Does the free man get a job to move out of his parents' house?

But point taken. I'll go for Vue first.
>>
File: wdg (2).png (980KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wdg (2).png
980KB, 500x500px
/wdg/ discord server - for those who are interested:

https://discord.gg/wdg
>>
File: maymay.jpg (75KB, 540x414px) Image search: [Google]
maymay.jpg
75KB, 540x414px
>>62119562
>>
>>62121647
You can learn Vue in a weekend if you already know js.
>>
>>62121681
>come here to talk about webdev
Stop spamming your discord.
What do you think the thread is for?
>>
>>62121797
I will give it a shot then. Thanks mate.
>>
>>62121762
>>41265125
>>
if( $('div.banner').length > 0 && $(".post.op").size() == 1 ) {

var poll_interval;
var reload_timeout = 5; // seconds
var count = reload_timeout;

/* From: https://github.com/savetheinternet/Tinyboard/blob/master/js/auto-reload.js */
var poll = function() {
$.ajax({
url: document.location,
success: function(data) {
$(data).find('div.post.reply').each(function() {
var id = $(this).attr('id');
if($('#' + id).length == 0) {
$(this).insertAfter($('div.post:last').next()).after('<br class="clear">');
$(document).trigger('new_post', this);
}
});
}
});

$('#autoreload-counter').html(reload_timeout);
poll_interval = setTimeout(countdown, 1000);
};

var countdown = function() {
if (count <= 1) {
count = reload_timeout;
$('#autoreload-counter').html('...');
// poll in 1 second
poll_interval = setTimeout(poll, 1000);
}
else {
count--;
$('#autoreload-counter').html(count);
// count down again in 1 second
poll_interval = setTimeout(countdown, 1000);
}
};

var toggle_autoreload = function() {
if (poll_interval) {
clearTimeout(poll_interval);
poll_interval = false;
}
else {
countdown();
}
};

this js seems to produce a memory leak, can anyone tell me what could possibly be the problem?
>>
Anyone want a project partner for something? RoR. or beginner nodejs
>>
>>62122323
I aint gonna read all this shit, but memory leaks are usually caused by shit like even handlers being attached to DOM nodes and not getting cleaned up. As the event handlers are closures they keep a reference to everything in scope.
>>
>>62114830
Yes. Just started 5 months ago and already at my second job.
>>
>>62122683
Good luck. I just started a partner project too.
>>
>>62125091
c-could you use another partner? I just want I buddy to code with.
>>
>>62125467
How feminine is your penis?
>>
File: 1472095065496.jpg (33KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1472095065496.jpg
33KB, 500x376px
guys for the love of god what is the best way to quickly create frontend interfaces as a backend fgt. i HATE angular, but not as much as the rest, i just want something that's easy to prototype with, doesn't require a 4.5hr build with node and is comprehensible to someone who has a strong understanding of HTTP, HTML, CSS and _plain_ JS.

i just cannot pick up these huge frameworks, all i want is simple form ui's that work with a REST endpoint.
>>
Would this be i nice web app setup:
React, js frontend
Rails front server
Java Backend Server
>>
>>62125709
No.
>>
>>62125722
why not? please help a brotha out
>>
>>62125620
Sounds like you want vanilla JS and DOM.
>>
>>62125514
If I say yes, will it make you want to work with me?
>>
if you guys want jobs why dont you just go to college

employers care more about a piece of paper than your 400 self taught projects
>>
>>62126709
Demonstrably false.
>>
>>62125467
I'll make something with you if you're not an asshole
>>
>>62125709
Fuck react and their BSD + patents licence. Learn Vue or Angular 4 or Ember or anything else. Vue is actually better than react.
>>
Need some advice on something I've been writing ideas down for for years, some business related customer management application. I started the application using nodejs as a back end without ever having used it, I thought it would be a good learning experience. I think doing this really affected my ability to make progress on the project.

Any suggestions for backend technogoly? I'm comfortable with c# and have some understanding of python. I want to use this project to learn something new, I don't think it's going to be node.
>>
>>62111439
but the anon you replied to said to focus on one thing and be pro at it and you said that you should hop on new things and explore new technologies
>>
>>62128488
Node
>>
>>62128488
Node.js is a really good back end if you want to develop web apps, the MEAN stack (MongoDB, Express.js, Angular2, Node) is the best if you want to do it in only Javascript, and you can pretty much make it into a mobile application by using Meteor in a day or so.

Now, if you don't want to learn Node, the other big option is the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP (or Python)).

To be honest, I'd still go with Node. It's your call. Take an introductory course before you dive in though.
>>
>>62128573
I'll stick with it, just wanted to get an opinion, thanks
>>
Should I bother with selling wp theme? Designer colleague approached me yesterday and offered to do it together
>>
>>62128488
Java- similar to c#
Go- good performance and language
Ruby- should be similar to python in idea
PHP- not the best language but easy to learn and very popular
And yes JavaScript is shit.
>>
How can I learn to build eCommerce stores?
>>
>>62114645
Spring
no

>>62125709
>Fuck react and their BSD + patents licence
oh great, so now everyone is a software law expert and we'll be getting this "argument" repeated ad nauseam for the next year
>>
>>62130176
>so now everyone is a software law expert

No, but I can read papers written by software law experts.
>>
>>62130176
just check out what it means, it's not fucking rocket science.
>>
>>62130232
can you?

>>62130277
it means that facebook can't use any patents that cover react they might or might not have to sue you if you don't sue them for patent infringement first. this is pretty similar to what apache 2 license does https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0#patent
>>
>>62130414

Yes.
>>
https://github.com/P1xt/p1xt-guides/blob/master/job-ready.md

Is this a good guide to get started?
>>
>>62130414
Dude, no. It means that if you file for a patent on something using React, and then they steal it, if you file a copyright infringement lawsuit then they revoke your rights to use React, so you have to rewrite it all. Basically, they have the right to steal anything you patent.
>>
>>62130480
does facebook even have any react-related patents? how do you know that, for example, vue doesn't infringe on any of those?

also
https://medium.com/@dwalsh.sdlr/react-facebook-and-the-revokable-patent-license-why-its-a-paper-25c40c50b562
>>
>>62130609
Good point. Are you the guy who linked that in the discord server? I just read it and realize I was wrong.
>>
>>62130635
nah, I'm not him
>>
>>62129825
By just doing it.
>>
>>62130649
Thank you anyway.
>>
>>62130655
but where to begin? there's just so many out there like magento, woocommerce...
>>
>>62130430
Nope.
Reminds me of that one google one where he didn't get the job anyways.
>>
>>62125467
Unfortunately no. It's an actual business that we are dumping thousands into.
>>
>>62126709
Incorrect.

Besides, it's enjoyable to see the frustration of devs with degrees when you take their job.
>>
>>62126709
It's funny because some people are actually stupid enough to believe this.
>>
Any good sites to download (Free) Udemy courses?
>>
>>62131192
udemy is trash
>>62131168
it's like what a 10bn industry now (well obviously 400bn+ for general education) so of course people are going to rationalize overspending at a shitty college
>>
when i add into my file
namespace something;
code is not working with composer autoloader
without namespace, it is working

what could be problem
>>
>he doesn't understand patents
>he still talks about it as if he knows shit
when will reddit leave
>>
>>62130609

edit: formatting

>not getting it

The license granted hereunder will terminate, automatically and without notice,
if you (or any of your subsidiaries, corporate affiliates or agents) initiate
directly or indirectly, or take a direct financial interest in, any Patent
Assertion: (i) against Facebook or any of its subsidiaries or corporate
affiliates, (ii) against any party if such Patent Assertion arises in whole or
in part from any software, technology, product or service of Facebook or any of
its subsidiaries or corporate affiliates, or (iii) against any party relating
to the Software. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if Facebook or any of its
subsidiaries or corporate affiliates files a lawsuit alleging patent
infringement against you in the first instance, and you respond by filing a
patent infringement counterclaim in that lawsuit against that party that is
unrelated to the Software, the license granted hereunder will not terminate
under section (i) of this paragraph due to such counterclaim.

If you don't want to read it yourself:

1. If Facebook infringes on ANY of your patents and you take legal action, they can revoke your license.
2. Same applies if you sue anyone involved in React (1 successful pull req/ 1 line of code).
3. Same applies if you sue FB for a patent infringement on any other piece of software (even if unrelated to React)

>how do you know that vue doesn't infringe on a facebook patent

Completely unrelated to the issue, nice.

Further reading:

https://www.elcaminolegal.com/single-post/2016/10/04/Facebook-Reactjs-License
>>
>>62131226
What do you suggest instead?
are the links at the OP still relevant?
>>
>>62131386
Yes but I haven't watched the youtube channels to verify. FCC and CC are great for beginners and it's easy to then branch off into harder material elsewhere.
Video content is probably the worst to learn from because it's such a huge beast to update.
>>
Fuck PostgreSQL
>>
>>62131226
>so of course people are going to rationalize overspending at a shitty college
Yep, pretty much
>>
>>62131255
Are you following prs-4?
>>
>>62131454
Why? It's pretty cool.
>>
There are plenty of sites that teach web development. But how do you learn web design?
>>
>>62131373
>1. If Facebook infringes on ANY of your patents and you take legal action, they can revoke your license.
no they can't. they can only revoke the patent grant. you can still use React under the BSD license.

>Completely unrelated to the issue, nice.
it's not though. let's say facebook holds a patent for virtual dom that encompasses both react and vue.
1. if you're using react, you have a patent grant from facebook until you sue them for patent infringement. if you're using vue you're fucked and you can get sued immediately after you file for your patent
2. facebook has never used any of their patents offensively. it's much more likely for you to get sued by a random patent troll than by facebook
3. some of the biggest tech companies have no problem with the license. I don't think anybody here understands this situation better than microsoft's or google's lawyers

>>62132634
1. have a good taste
2. design shit until your designs begin to look good to you
>>
>>62132634
VISUAL HIERARCHY
TYPOGRAPHY
COLOR THEORY

That's it, you should be good to fucking go. But there are many other design theories in various fields you could get into to keep refining your understanding.
>>
Employers say they are looking for people who have been coding for a year+, say I made my Github account a year ago, but didn't do anything with it for 10 months, then started adding stuff, will it look like I have had it for a year, or will it be obvious I have been active for 2 months?
>>
>>62133501
Yes because employers look at the green squares thing which highlights your activity.
That shouldn't stop you from applying if you know you have the skills though.
>>
>>62111453

Depends on where in the country you are. Most junior web dev jobs will net you somewhere in the region of 18-22k, dependent on experience and skill. If you're a particularly good junior you might be able to land in excess of 30k (more likely if you live in London).
>>
>>62133501
They say that to deter people who are not actually that interested in the job from applying and flooding with useless applications
>>
>>62133501
They say 1+ years to deter the "I dont know programming yet but I learn fast" and "I made websites in dreamweaver during highschool multimedia class" applicants
>>
>>62133884
>>62133601
>>62133523

Thanks guys, thats encouraging to hear.
>>
>>62133972
Try to make stuff with passion and keep growing them and people will appreciate them.
>>
>>62132634
>>62132856
>>62133476
Unlike web development, you really should have a degree in graphic design before trying to sell your services as a web designer. There are lots of great graphic design programs in traditional schools, and until you have gone through one you are really not fit to call yourself a designer.
>>
>>62134093
That's the same exact shit elitist web devs used to say lmao
You don't need a degree in design to sell web designer services whatsoever.
If you're actually good, the money will roll in, if not, no money. It's that simple.
>>
>>62134131
>That's the same exact shit elitist web devs used to say
Never happened.

>lmao
kys

>You don't need
You don't need anything to do anything. My words were "you should," I didn't say anything about "need."

Anyway, if you're billing yourself as a "designer" without proper qualifications, make sure to talk to your lawyer about it first.
>>
>>62134093
>Unlike web development, you really should have a degree in graphic design before trying to sell your services as a web designer
haha

>>62134202
>if you're billing yourself as a "designer" without proper qualifications, make sure to talk to your lawyer about it first
show me ONE country where "web designer" is a regulated profession
>>
>>62134202
>Never happened.
Oh you're just trolling, got it.
>>
Is create-react-app not working for anyone else? Getting a -4058 error
>>
>>62134758
worked for me a few days ago when I tried it last. However the react native barcode thing didn't, expo just shat on me.
>>
>>62134797
thanks, telling me npm cant find a package called 'abab' will try yarn
>>
>>62134093
Lel. Do a design 101 online and learn some terms to impress clients and you're good. If you're shit all you need to do is practice more and look at other websites. I have a bookmarks folder of well-designed sites that I use as reference.
>>
I'd just like to get this off my chest.
I write all my websites in Perl heredocs, and use the almost 20 years out-of-date cgi-lib.pl for input.
>>
whats the point of XSD when you can check if XML is valid using literally any language
>>
>>62136005
to describe what you want valid XML to mean
>>
File: worried doggy.jpg (351KB, 1200x1096px) Image search: [Google]
worried doggy.jpg
351KB, 1200x1096px
Anyone here developing on a Windows 10 machine?
Currently learning PHP on my Linux laptop where everything goes smooth. However sometimes I work on my desktop PC which has Windows 10 for Visual Studio and other software. The problem is that PHP stuff run like shit on Windows and barely work. Setting up anything is a nightmare. I effortlessly develop node.js on it but PHP is a mess there. I manage to get it to work but always run into shitty problems now and then. Anyone have a similar experience? I really don't want to waste space on a dual boot or a VM
>>
File: Screenshot_61.png (52KB, 1028x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_61.png
52KB, 1028x768px
Hey lads, I have a question about hosting. I'm making a small portfolio website for a friend. Developed it all in Wordpress using XAMPP and I'll be ready to publish it soon.
My specific question is regarding GoDaddy, I was thinking of getting the domain there and doing the hosting on DigitalOcean on a 512 mb droplet since it is a very simple website. Would this combination work okay? I haven't had that much expirience with publishing a website myself usually clients already had their hosting set up. Do I need to have the 'office365' mail essentials if I want to host an e-mail address on this domain or can I do that on the DigitalOcean droplet as well? I'm thinking it would be a convinient thing for my friend but I also want to save the man's money. Also is this 'keep your contact information private' thing worth getting or no? I mean his name will be on the website anyway.
>>
>>62136267
use xampp on windows

you can also use this on linux if you want to be consistent
>>
I started doing this last year as a hobby with a lamp stack. My site performance is now pretty slow with a large amount of sql queries, entries, and php processing. Should I try learning a new backend or just write my code better?
>>
>>62136508
I'm hosting my portfolio on GitHub pages desu.
Check out openshift though.
>>
>>62136267
Use the server that php provides, just install it , put it in the PATH

and then go to the .php file folder and type php -S localhost:8888
>>
>>62136741
Terrible idea!
>>
>>62136755
I think its more than enough to learn, then you go to a more robust solution when doing projects.
>>
>>62136267
Google LAMP stack. There is a WAMP version. Take a free course in it somewhere - even youtube. You don't need much to get going.
>>
>>62136713
He's an illustrator and it's really essential for him to have multiple pages which is why I developed it in WP and I looked it up, you can't host WP on GitHub pages. Thanks anyway, I have an idea what to look up on google at least.
>>
>>62136889
Openshift might actually suit you, it's free for light use (I think 512gb ram and stuff light that).
>>
File: 1502031469647.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1502031469647.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>62136944
Cool! Thanks man. I'll look into using that, it sounds pretty ideal. I was about to look at what kind of service they offer on that site but got distracted with something. Thanks again for the info
>>
MEAN or LAMP?
>>
>>62137247
MEAN if you are using JS and LAMP if you are using PHP
>>
>>62137261
Is there a difference beyond that.
>>
>>62136267
I dont use PHP but Node and have a good time with WSL / bash for windows or whatever it's called. Have you tried that?

>>62136508
>email
GSuite is great if you are ok with Google.
You should have a really good reason to host your email yourself, especially if it's for business use, imo.
>whois privacy
worth it imo, unless you want anyone to easily get your full address, phone number, etc.

Why are you commiting for 3 years already if you are not sure about many of those things?
>>
>>62137287
The MEAN stack is MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS (or Angular), and Node.js. Because all components of the MEAN stack support programs are written in JavaScript, MEAN applications can be written in one language for both server-side and client-side execution environments.

LAMP is an archetypal model of web service stacks, named as an acronym of the names of its original four open-source components: the Linux operating system, the Apache HTTP Server, the MySQL relational database management system (RDBMS), and the PHP programming language. The LAMP components are largely interchangeable and not limited to the original selection. As a solution stack, LAMP is suitable for building dynamic web sites and web applications.

TL;DR - Learn to google
>>
>>62137325
Hmm, I was hoping to see thoughts on performance and flexibility and whatever.
>>
>>62136242
i can do that in php or javascript though
>>
Will this course make me into a hacker?
https://www.udemy.com/penetration-testing/
>>
>>62136508
You can always use a cheaper domain.
>>
>>62137460
It never hurts to learn.
>>
// A:
return dateA < dateB ? dateA : dateB;
// B:
return [dateA, dateB].sort()[0];

Am I the only one who likes B? I find it impossible to be confused by.

I feel like both add to the pile of things the reader must keep track of all at once in order to understand a method, but A adds a scalar value of complexity and B adds a static value. I think that keeping track of which variables are which in the ternary is not as dead-simple as the sort.
>>
>>62137841
why not
return Math.min(dateA, dateB)
>>
>>62137972
I guess I should be clear that they're ISO date strings in this case, but I'm more referring to the general case. But I guess I could do:

return new Date(Math.min(dateA, dateB));

if they were date objects (Math.min will convert them both to unix times before comparing, so need to convert back to a Date).
>>
>>62114464
>angular 2
Are frameworks really worth it for small to medium sites? Maybe a dozen functions and 4 ajax requests.

Asking because I finally took someone's advice to use bootstrap instead of manually writing everything and I like it. Feel like I cut my html/css time in half and got better results.
>>
>>62138248
And what's the best one that doesn't need a nodejs server? Just html/javascript and php on backend.
>>
>>62137420
specific validation code is a poor universal descriptor of a document format. you can't even properly formalize it because your validator implementation will probably be different than mine.
when I want to describe a context-free grammar for example, I can write
 <postal-address> ::= <name-part> <street-address> <zip-part>

<name-part> ::= <personal-part> <last-name> <opt-suffix-part> <EOL>
| <personal-part> <name-part>

<personal-part> ::= <initial> "." | <first-name>

<street-address> ::= <house-num> <street-name> <opt-apt-num> <EOL>

<zip-part> ::= <town-name> "," <state-code> <ZIP-code> <EOL>

<opt-suffix-part> ::= "Sr." | "Jr." | <roman-numeral> | ""
<opt-apt-num> ::= <apt-num> | ""

and everyone familiar with this simple notation knows 100% what I meant. that wouldn't be the case if I instead posted a 300 line long parser source code written in haskell.
same with xml. I can describe my schema using xsd or even verbally. but using parser source code instead would make it much less readable.

>>62137380
depends on your use-case. there are no general answers

>>62137841
yes. A is as straightforward as it gets, B requires you to think about what is the default order of sort()

>>62138248
>Maybe a dozen functions and 4 ajax requests.
probably not. also depends on what you really mean by "a dozen of functions" and on what exactly you plan using javascript for

>>62138390
React+MobX, Vue or Angular 4
>>
>>62136508
Godaddy is considered bad choice. There are many alternatives, just make sure it supports let's encrypt.
>>
>>62136681
Better code. If you can make normal PHP site slow then switching language won't help you that much.
>>
>>62137247
Ideally neither.
>>
>>62138390
Vue. React needs Babel and Angular is in typescript
>>
Have you used symfony components for your project?
If you have, can you give me some docs about that?
I want to use symfony/routing but im stuck a bit
>>
>>62138456
>B requires you to think about what is the default order of sort()
I just don't see this as a thing.
>>
>>62138456
>>62139329
Thanks.

And what hosting do you guys have? I was thinking of moving away from the old standard sharedhost and looking at heroku, but I see they charge $7 per month per "dyno" which I assume is one site/app.
>>
>>62138390
By "nodejs server" do you mean the server running in Node, or do you mean Node installed on the server in general?

>>62139329
Babel and TypeScript need a Node environment to do their translation, but it only has to run when you make changes to your code and need to recompile. Also you can always just install Node on your development machine only, and then upload the compiled/translated files to your server when you go live.
>>
>>62139659
Disregard what I said about node, I'm moving away from the shared host so now it's completely open-ended. >>62139579

Watching videos about vue and angular right now to decide on one. My project is already bordering on being a headache without a framework and the users request new stuff all the time. Like I said, I added bootstrap and it blew me away that I've been doing everything the hard way for so long.
>>
How can I make embedded documents in Mongo have no ID?

This is an example of what I have

{
_id: objectid
something: something
arrayOfThings:
[
{
_id: objectid,
},
{
_id: objectid,
}
]
}

I don't need an id in the array of objects
>>
>>62140788
Does "mongodb hide _id" yield any results?
What if you want to update the record afterwards?
>>
>>62137247
Lemp
>>
>>62131454
Do you mean fuck SQL in general, or fuck Postgres? I can understand feeling the former, the latter is just wrong.
>>
>>62139858
Which is why the whole "don't use frameworks" thing is so retarded. The entire reason they were created was to streamline the process allowing you to focus on what really matters. Can they get bloated? Sure, but that hasn't really happened. I still don't recommend people jumping straight into frameworks as a beginner not knowing much, but being vehemently against them is strange.
>>
>>62111839
YouTube tutorials.
>>
Vue has the best SSR support
>>
>>62141078
This is a really fundamental misunderstanding of what a framework is.
>>
File: 1469499924692.png (368KB, 1038x370px) Image search: [Google]
1469499924692.png
368KB, 1038x370px
>>62141361
>>
>>62141505
Just read this last night. Pretty good stuff.
>>
>>62141489
Redundant comment is redundant.
>>
Does anyone know if freecodecamp.org is a good place to learn web stuff? I know how to program but would like to know more about web development, especially front-end.

Any other sugestions?
>>
>>62142185
Depends on what your goal is. If you're planning on using some framework, your best bet is going through example projects on the framework's site. They should have some guided project sort of stuff.

If you're not doing that, then, well I'm not sure. I honestly hate any but the most top-level front-end work.
>>
>>62137761
Good idea, we might just do that to save money. It really shouldn't matter...

>>62139231
I've used them before it's not exactly a walk in the park to get everything set up plus i feel like they're trying to get more of my money on every settings page

>>62137323
Yeah we might just do two years then.

Thank you all for the feedback!
>>
how do you fix this shit? It's always this fucker.

require_once __DIR__.'/../vendor/autoload.php';
>>
>>62143586
>php
Found your problem.
>>
File: Orangutan apples.jpg (141KB, 634x543px) Image search: [Google]
Orangutan apples.jpg
141KB, 634x543px
How do people handle a server? Say if I pay yearly for a server, do they provide me root access to the linux on it? Do people choose server providers based on the distro on their servers? Currently using heroku for free because some tutorial told me to. Feels really clunky and bloated but it just werks. It feels I don't learn enough about server side issues when using it. I want to be a back end developer eventually.
>>
>>62143586
Sure don't tell us error or anything else.
>>
>>62143791
It depends on the hosting provider.

I intentionally picked one that gives me vps specs and handles the OS, updates and backups for me.
>>
Got a job in major software firm. I'll be working with crystal reports and I start tomorow. How do I prepare? How fucked am I?
>>
Is it possible to somehow stretch or enlarge an image to cover an entire piece of padding without it affecting the padding width?
>>
>>62143791

More freedom = more responisiblity.

If you do shared hosting, you get a lot of security service "for free". Of course you don't get root access to their linux, because there's a couple of other guests (with their own websites) and you mustn't see their content.

If you really have your own vps or even dedicated server, you get more power, but also more responsibility. You have to be your own SysAdmin which means you constantly have to log and monitor what's happening. You need to know your security tools (i.e. fail2ban), you have to be up-to-date with security issues and the most important point: You have to constantly log and monitor what's happening at your server. Someone WILL try to penetrate your server and make him burn. You have to respond to things like DDOS attacks as soon as possible. You have to monitor the throughput and bandwidth, so your provider doesn't shut you down for going over your limits..

It's not impossible to be your own admin, but it definetly takes some hours per week..
>>
File: 1496597667044.jpg (2MB, 1955x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1496597667044.jpg
2MB, 1955x3000px
Making my first React Native app. I want to stylize like this, three images in a row.

Now with ListView I can get a scrollable list, either vertical or horizontal.

How might I get a grid like this?
>>
Question, if I'm making a "portfolio" site should I try not to use more "niche" libraries like three.js and p5.js? Maybe they aren't actually nichey I just never see anyone else using them in real life
>>
Question:

If I want a job; and I already have a good grasp of programming fundamentals (specifically, in ruby and python) (did a minor in compsci in college)

Would I be best of learning:

Rails
Django
Node

My next step is going to be going through Eloquent JavaScript, and learning vanilla js, but I'd like to know where to go from there.

My plan right now: Learn some vanilla JS > learn a backend framework > learn algorithms

Or, I could scrap all this and go back and get a second degree in cs
>>
what's the route I have to follow in order to become a back-end webdev? what are the languages and technologies I need to study and learn?
>>
>>62111194
302 them to some large file on a cdn
>>
>>62145057
Rails is honestly useless, it's not scalable at all

I honestly don't recommend going into webdev unless you have a bachelors or masters. Your resume will end up in the trash alongside all the other "self taught" pajeets who just finished a 2 hour YouTube tutorial
>>
Is there a way with HTML and CSS to make a table cell not contribute to width of table?

| ----- Cell A ------ | --- Cell B ---- |
| ---------------- Cell C --------------|

If I add text to either of cells, the table becomes wider. For cells A and B this is desired behavior, but for cell C, I want contents to be wrapped, leaving the table just as wide as it needs to be for cells A and B.
>>
just finishing ydkjs
is this really so complicated?
or frameworks makes things easier?
>>
>>62145539
>complicated
can be, but it's not like you really deal with a lot of those in-depth concepts on a regular basis.
>frameworks makes things easier?
why else would they exist.
>>
>>62145105
>OSI model basics
>TCP/IP model basics
>HTTP and how it is used for browser-server communication
>HTML basics
>JS basics (mainly AJAX)
>minimal web application (Java servlets fit well here)
>JSON format and REST
>SQL
>selected MVC framework
>basic security (OWASP Top Ten)

>>62145140
>Rails is honestly useless, it's not scalable at all
github is at #59 alexa global rank
>>
When should I use the react router? As of now I've only used components that render other components given a state.
>>
>>62146732
When you want a (by url) navigable single-page-application
>>
>>62146919
And why would I want a (by url) navigable single-page-application? Cons / pros?
>>
>>62146732
never. all you need is a simple url parser https://github.com/mweststrate/react-mobx-shop/blob/react-amsterdam-2017/src/index.js

>>62146937
you need to sync the history object for "back" button to work, you need to sync the url so that your users are able save a link to the page they're on and maybe share it or whatever.
if you don't need these then just don't usem. it's not "what the pros/cons are" but "what my requirements are"
>>
>>62147003
ok this makes sense. Thank you anon, I love you. Platonically.
>>
So I'm making a log in screen with react. Should I have the log in form and register form in a single component or should I have a component for each form and then a box form that has them? I'm new to react and don't know what the thought process should be.
>>
>>62147169
Having them separate will help you if you need only a single one for another location.

I usually split my components based on the likelyhood that I'll use them elsewhere, works fine.
>>
I'm a total webdev idiot, I'm building a side project for fun and I need something quick, nice and that won't give me too much headaches to make a pretty much mobile only webpage with a few buttons, lists and state updates through websockets. What do you recommend?
>>
I'm currently trying to find a sort of "all-in-one" web dev resource, paid or not, to fast track my way to an entry-level position. I eventually intend on returning to dedicated study of computer science fundamentals, but my top priority is to get an actual job first so I have the time to do that.

Any suggestions on the best course of action? I've considered freeCodeCamp, Udacity Nanodegrees, Code School, the various Udemy courses, The Odin Project, Treehouse, TutsPlus, etc. The two strongest candidates seem to be freeCodeCamp and Udacity.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>
how do you get into freelancing?
>>
>>62147461

Recommend what for what?
Do you want to make a mobile webpage? How much do you want to spend on this? (nothing? Something? A lot?)
How complicated/hard do you want this to be?

Cos you cam make this stupid easy and look like it or you can make this stupid hard or somewhere between.
>>
>>62147869

Make a github/likedIN profile.
Build a portfolio.
Sell yourself to everybody, ask literally everyone if they want a site, reuse your old work.

During dry seasons work on your fun projects. Do more networking.

Seriously, the hardest part is starting - people need sites. EVERYONE needs sites. They just need to know about you and if they look, see you can do shit.
>>
>>62148082
what type of skills should i get before i get started? i've only been doing some messing around in html/css and js so far

also, why isn't there are resource for this in the op?
>>
>>62148199
The way into freelancing probably varies a lot more than your usual path to a junior-frontend position.
I think it has a lot more to do with being able to sell yourself and no just pure coding skills.
>>
Whats the difference between mysqli_connect and mysql_connect, im very new too this and i cant figure out what the "i" means. Is there somewhere similar to the documentation that i can have these things explained? (how they relate and how the new differs from the old)
>>
>>62148444
Don't use mysql_ functions, they're old, unsafe and deprecated.

mysqli_ still works, but I'd recommend using PDO instead.
>>
File: butwhy.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
butwhy.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>62147796
>I'm currently trying to find a sort of "all-in-one" web dev resource
>>
>>62148492
can anyone recommend a good place to learn it?

Im doing a php/mysql course on Udemy, i should finish that to learn how php functions work and then move on to PDO shouldn't i?
>>
>>62114645
spring and dojo for frontend
>>
>>62148199

I would gess thats more along the lines of career/life advice rather than actual discussion of web development technolo/g/y....

The most important skill (aside from the technical ones that actually make you good at your work) is being social and pleasant to talk to.
You will be networking a lot in the beginning and for that, people will need to like working with you/giving you work.
You gotta be quick and know how to do some special gimmicks, otherwise there´s no reason for them not to use wordpress/squarespace. Try learning about <canvass>, at least one modern framework (angular is a full one, react is just the view), and know how to make fully rsponsive websites (media queries for starters and then bootstrap if you feel flashy) (most of all web traffic nowdays is to mobile sites, not desktops) redis (or other session running virtual RAMS) and at least one Database backed (mongoDB or postgreSQL) - knowing these you will be able to do like 90% of what people want from a site (that they can't get from a machine generated one)

The most efficent course as you learn would be for you to make every one of these things (canvass, redis, Angular) a "site" or a web app and include it in a portfolio site showing all the things you know.
Make it pretty, since the people who will be giving you work won't know a lot about tech but will probably know buzzwords. You have to meet these people and catch their attention - start with your social circle, show them your site and if its very simple make a site or two for free for a friend/senpai, Once you make a few commissioned things you will kick off.
>>
>>62148589
>Udemy
Oh boy. If it's that beaner that's teaching it, then you're going to learn a bunch of bad practices. I've gone through half of PHP courses on Udemy and most of them are terrible.
>>
>>62148589

best way to learn is to do.
think of a cool thing you would like working on and a tech that seems to be hot and just start doing it. It doesn't even need to be original - start with making a "Hello world" and take it from there, you will always encounter problems you must solve and by solving them, you will learn.

Google is the best resource. Make sure you have a stackexchange profile and ask like crazy, there's always point hungry old geezers looking to score a cheap few XP from a noob question.
>>
>>62148199

Node.js, jQuery, Canvass, Angular.js (or some MVC like Rue.js or Backbone.js), SQL., git and integration/code review, boom you can now work in tech as a junior.

if you wanna be cheesy and easy and literally a punchline to all your programmer friends, learn about javaScript - let it course in your veins. Learn about prototypes and inheritance, about events, switch, for/while loops, if/else statements, promises/callbacks - this is a start.

If you wanna be clever and nolife learn the backends (e.g. what the actual computer keeping your site alive) of Java, .NET, Ruby, Python, C++, Swift or Go.... you will still need javascript to make dat sweet browser magic tho....

For example Rails is a framework of Ruby that lets you run a server and has loads of modules (called Gems) you can use in your work - other people made these.
Python has Django, javaScript has Node...you get the idea.
>>
File: 1503858032310.jpg (130KB, 1067x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1503858032310.jpg
130KB, 1067x1063px
So I'm running a VPS on a cloud server. I have a an IP address and when I connect to it using the port in the address (e.g. https://800.001.002.003 : 9001 ) I get a response from my trial site. So thats working.

I bought a domain name but the DNS site where i connect to won't let me connect directly to that port. Wont route to it, won't connect without it. setting SRV isn't doing this. DNS support says -I- have to set the thing on the server = to route port.

I don't even.....

Any one has any idea how to?

Thanks
>>
>>62148817
https://www.udemy.com/php-mysql-tutorial/learn/v4/overview

I'm doing this one, but if you got a better suggestion i'm happy to switch.
>>
>>62149045

TL;DR I don't know how to either set up the domain to route directly to port 9001 OR to make my server catch all incoming traffic and send it to port 9001

Im runinng Ubuntu with Node as Backend
>>
>>62149045
you just point the domain to your IP, there is no extra step anywhere.
No difference between 12.34.56.78:9001 and http://mydomain.com:9001 after that.
>>
>>62149045
>>62149174
eh, read you posts a second time.
You either forward requests to your domain to that port with nginx or something or just host it on the proper port to start with.
Why host it on 9001, if you want it reachable on the standard http/https ports ?
>>
How do people here learn new stuff if it's something you've never done before. Do you just follow tutorials and copy the code and hope that you will learn how to do it yourself eventually?
>>
Is it safe to assume that if a page works well on Midori it will work well on Safari? Since they're both just webkit.
>>
Sup guys. I'm making a Wikipedia search viewer app for FCC. I'm trying to make it so that the user has an unlimited number of searches. Right now the first search loads but the following ones do not, although the console shows that the functions are functioning at least. Any ideas?

Here is the codepen: https://codepen.io/jonnyd94/pen/XaEyJz

>>62149701

If I have to copy it I try to go through it line by line and explain it to myself, usually on paper
>>
>>62147869
1) use freelance sites-you will be competing with pajeets for massively underpaid projects
2) find work-basically go around offering your services
3) connections-usually come with previous working experience or through events/groups
Notice that 2 not sucky ones require communicating
>>
>>62149857
it works, it's just appending everything at the bottom of the page
silly you
>>
>>62149980

Top kek I am such a dumbass. Thanks
>>
Guys, I need help. I need to set up a google map page on client servers 1 (unknown unix) and 2 (win10) that takes data from a postgreSQL db on server 3 (CentOS).

As far as I understand it, I need to set up a permanent SSH tunnel from each client server, assign an arbitrary port for client access, and write the client page code to connect to those arbitrary ports, keeping SSH tunnels separate from the webapp, correct?
>>
>>62149065
Oh it's free. Well, word of advice, don't get anything from Edwin Diaz. As for better courses, there is one but it's OOP PHP course, so if you're a novice that might be too much. Tbh you're better of following a book by Larry Ullman, he has several books ranging from novice to web development to more advanced php.
>>
How the hell do people (or bots?) inject php code in various wordpress php files? Mate asked me to look at his website and swears that admin credentials weren't compromised
>>
>>62128488
asp.net since you are ok with c#
>>
>>62149254

set the serv to listen on 80. all works well, cheers!

Isn't using port 80 considered bad practice btw?
>>
>>62148589
https://phpdelusions.net/pdo
>>
Do you think that php will be important for a long time? (at least for our lifetime)
>>
>>62150423
>wordpress
any plugin or theme with a vulnerability.

Once was managing a small gaming community site, that was using wordpress and one day suddenly get a message from the host, that they took the site offline, due to seeing malicious activity.
Turns out some outdated theme, that was sitting around in the theme folder unused had a vulnerability, that allowed some bot to mess with the sites files.
I know in the end it was my fault, but still.

>>62150617
not really. I mean, that's what a normal web servers listen on.
Only in relation to permissions for the user running the server I think, since any port 1024 and below requires admin privileges as far as I know.
Someone with more knowledge about that should chime in.

>>62150808
PHP will stay around for long enough, that it's not really worth thinning about.
>>
>>62150853
Yeah, I guess old as shit themes/plugins are the cause. But how does it technically work senpai? How does one inject things in server side php files
>>
>>62150853
>PHP will stay around for long enough, that it's not really worth thinning about.
beacuse as far as the webdev goes i wanted to master one thing and i chose php (laravel) (not counting html/css/js bcs i find them obligatory and easy enough)
>>
>>62150411
>don't get anything from Edwin Diaz
huh?
Isn't his ecommerce project like, top notch?
>>
>>62150871
If I remember correctly, in that case there was some exploitable file-uploader in the theme (for a gallery or something, not sure), that allowed for uploading the malicious code.
Don't really know much more. Have no clue about Wordpress development or PHP
>>
>>62150229
You need some sort of backend. Preferably REST service.
>>
How do I localize my Firefox webextension correctly? At the moment I just load a script that does a bunch of
xyz.appendChild(document.createTextNode(browser.i18n.getMessage("xyz")));

Am I doing this right or is there a better way?
>>
test
>>
>>62152058
what ya testing anon?
>>
>>62144673
Each list entry is going to be 4 horizontal images
>>
>>62150871
https://www.google.com/search?q=exploitdb+wordpress

>>62151352
are there no localized firefox webextensions on github? how do they handle localization?
>>
>>62150871
>>62152175
https://wpvulndb.com/ that's better yet.
I didn't realize even fucking themes have vulnerabilities but it makes sense given that it's shitpress
>>
>>62128488
D + vibe.d is amazing.
>>
>>62111074
i need to implement an api rest with JAVA, what's the easiest way to do it?
>>
>>62153075
spring boot
>>
>>62151001
I have both his ecommerce and regular php course, which I regrettably looked into after a month, so no way to ask for a refund. It's really bad. I have no idea how it got to a 4+ star rating. That fact made me question all other bestseller courses on Udemy. There are a few good courses, this one for instance: https://www.udemy.com/web-development-html5-css3-php-oop-and-mysql-database/
>>
any reason to use PHP storm if you are learning php or only for production?
>>
>>62153075
either >>62153091 (my favourite), Dropwizard or Spark

>>62153167
you'll need a good editor with debugging support eventually, and it's between vscode and phpstorm I'd say
>>
>>62153075
alt f4
>>
>>62152175
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Internationalization
>>
>>62152099
You'll see :^)
>>
File: 1481927790274.jpg (26KB, 343x354px) Image search: [Google]
1481927790274.jpg
26KB, 343x354px
>>62154864
should i be concerned
>>
Yo /wdg/ homies, I got a big contract through bull shitting, I have to build 2 mobile apps plus a data analysis engine backend. I plan on using Ionic to build the apps and my backend is going to express or django probably.

How do I go about doing the architecture and break stuff into smaller pieces so that I can actually build shit.

It's a big project and I have'nt done anything as big on my own before so I'm pretty nervous, plus considering I'm getting paid for this, it has to be good quality code.

The client wants to see an architecture diagram and some sort of gantt chart or some delivery timeline thing. How do I go about doing this, my estimates at work were always way off.

Thanks
>>
>>62153167
PHPStorm is ok. Not a bad thing to have on the resume.
>>
>>62155071
just like bullshit through it dude
do you expect concrete answers for this vague-as-fuck question?
>>
>>62155071
If you think it has to be good code just because you're getting paid for it then you've never worked in the industry.
>>
>>62155071

> good quality code
kek no such thing, good architecture is much more important than """good code"""
>>
Have any of you used Go? /dpt/ shits on it daily, I was wondering what you guys thought of it.
>>
>>62153217
>>62155297
Is there any way to get it for free? aka not pirating.
>>
>>62155840
A school email lets you grab all of it for free. You just can't sell anything made in it.
>>
I certainly hope that all of you have upgraded your old node.js projects to ayo.js.
>>
>>62156180
AYO HOL UP
SO YOUS BE SAYIN NODE.JS IS TOXIC AND SHIIIET?
>>
>>62156180
Too busy counting privileges
>>
File: ss-2017-08-30-03-28-51.png (37KB, 674x192px) Image search: [Google]
ss-2017-08-30-03-28-51.png
37KB, 674x192px
>>62156180
thanks for reminding me
>>
NEW THREAD
>>62157737

NEW THREAD
>>62157737

NEW THREAD
>>62157737
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.