[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have never ever used a TV card. Did I miss out on anything?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: 1200px-Ati-twin-wonder-tv-tuner.jpg (119KB, 1200x662px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Ati-twin-wonder-tv-tuner.jpg
119KB, 1200x662px
I have never ever used a TV card.

Did I miss out on anything?
>>
>>62105236
Thanks

Mods, pls close this thread
>>
My impression is that HTPCs in the full fledged desktop sense never really went mainstream.
>>
>>62105209
Yes, it made a computer function as a DVR. Its useless on cable services that require a DVR or set up box to function.
>>
File: Hauppauge_PVR-250.jpg (45KB, 450x351px) Image search: [Google]
Hauppauge_PVR-250.jpg
45KB, 450x351px
>>62105209
I had one back in like 2002. It was great, a bit glitchy, but I could comfy watch the simpsons ons sunday and shitpost on newsgrounds at the same time. it was a good time to be alive.
>>
>>62105478
I still have mine but I never tried to get it to work on Linux. Windows XP Media Center was the best OS I ever used in its time.
>>
I have 2 of them set up in my parent's media pc. They love it because they dont get cable but they can record up to 4 OTA shows at once and watch them whenever they want and fast forward commercials.
>>
>>62105209
Well, you could watch tv with those, which I guess was mildly cool. I used to have this HP media center turd that made all the other kids jelly.
>>
Just get the respective app for your provider for your smart TV, or stream using their online site on your PC. Not really a need for these when those options exist
>>
>>62105938
> used to have this HP media center turd
I still use it as my main computer.
>>
I have an Astrometa DVB-T2 USB, some other DVB-T USB, and a German PCI DVB-S2 plugged into my linux server running TVHeadend.

I rarely watch any of it myself, but my folks love it especially my mum with HD recordings of shitty soaps.
>>
>>62105209
TV rots your brain. Don't watch it. Sage.
>>
Yeah. I been using those back in the early 00s, when I lived in rented houses and had no TV.

They were called TV tuner card, I think mine was a Pinnacle one, or some other brand.

Shit was dank, I could record TV shows, make stills, it even had an IR receiver with a remote.

I should probably get one again, just for the convenience.
>>
>>62106144
the anon posting on one of the most toxic boards on 4chan says smugly while scratching his bacteria infested beard filled with crumbs of starch and sugar based processed food while taking intermittent sips of mountain dew (tm)
>>
>>62105518
It will work really well on Linux, especially older BT878 analog boards (which no longer work at all on Windows)
>>
>>62106281
blow it out your ass
>>
TV was deprecated by kodi/couchpotato/netflix/etc years ago
>>
>>62106291
Yeah, I just need to figure what to use to input coax and RCA. Then again its no longer listed on lspci so I might just remove it.
>>
File: hdhomerun.png (93KB, 891x741px) Image search: [Google]
hdhomerun.png
93KB, 891x741px
I've had 2 analog tuner cards
A single tuner FusionHDTV DVB-T T1
I currently use a HDHomeRun2 DVB-T running through TVHeadEnd.
>>
>>62106418
>censoring localhost
>>
>>62106291
Except there are no fucking analogue broadcasts left in civilized countries any more.

The only use of an old Brooktree card is for something like VHS->PC capture.
>>
>>62106519
We should start a pirate TV station
>>
>>62105372
>Yes, it made a computer function as a DVR. Its useless on cable services that require a DVR or set up box to function.
What? Just request a cablecard from your provider if you're in the u.s.
>>
>>62106557
Nope.
We will keep smoking dope and watching shows.
Sad? Probably, but also true.
>>
>>62106519
Guess I am removing my card then.
>>62106574
Yes, because that will make the old analog capture cards function with digital cable.
>>
File: 1402025725948.gif (2MB, 265x199px) Image search: [Google]
1402025725948.gif
2MB, 265x199px
If you bought a good card with a respectable selection of TV channels OTA or cable line, it was a good way to have TV in the room without having to actually buy a TV.

Today, you don't really need them nearly as much with streaming.
>>
File: tvhead.png (46KB, 754x622px) Image search: [Google]
tvhead.png
46KB, 754x622px
>>62106418
Fuck me those local IP's are dangerous!
>>
>>62106649
DDOSing you.
>>
>>62106500
I'll do you one better

>Censoring local ips at all
>>
File: car-accident.png (192KB, 402x577px) Image search: [Google]
car-accident.png
192KB, 402x577px
>>62106629
>Yes, because that will make the old analog capture cards function with digital cable.
So your issue is that you have old hardware that's not compatible with modern cable.
>>
>>62106629
I don't think you understand. You are using digital (DVB) interfaces, not analogue (the old Bt8xx Hauppauge things)
>>
>>62106711
Its not an issue since I no longer use it.
>>62106726
I don't have a digital one. Its from an old HP computer from 2006.
>>
>>62105209
I own a (digital) tuner card. It lets you watch TV if you hook it to an antenna. That's it.
>>
>>62106860
Except you can leave it plugged into your home server running Tvheadend, with suitable CAMs to descramble certain content, provision of HDD space for automatic recordings, and all your house TV's running KODI, That's it.
>>
>>62106665
OK, ENUFZNUFF! PLZ MK STOP! NOW! PLOX!
>>
>>62105372
Hauppage makes cards with IR blasters that will change the channel on the cable box you are stuck with in non-US countries. You can strip the HDMI encryption with a cheap HDMI splitter.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.