[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming exclusively on a laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

Any programmer made the switch from a desktop to a laptop ?

Is a 14" screen enough to work on ?

What about neck/back pain of having to work with your head always tilted forward ?

Are you working with the laptop on a table exclusively or do you work on couch / bed / etc. ?

What about the trackpad use ? Do you still use a mouse ?
>>
I've been programming on my laptop for years now. A year or so ago I switched to writing code while "in" bed. I have a relatively small stand that I can put my feet under, I put my laptop on and hack away.
>>
>not exclusively coding on a phone
>>
Resolution matters more than screen size, go for at least 1920x1080; go for a 16:10 screen if you can. Get something with a comfortable keyboard; those MacBook style keyboards are hard as hell and will really start to wear on your fingers. You'll do most of your work on a table because being on a bed will just make you browse 4chan. A programmer should not be using a mouse or track pad at all.

In any case, the keyboard/screen combo you want doesn't exist anymore and there are no good modern programming laptops.
>>
>>62098440
>not exclusively writing code on his watch
>>
File: thinkpad1.jpg (1MB, 2136x1424px) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad1.jpg
1MB, 2136x1424px
>>62098323
I write code on a 12" screen in bed, more than enough. I've never really bad back pain using my computer in bed, it's just comfy. As for trackpad, I use a trackpoint!
>>
>>62098683
>has a child at home
>fake Windows 9X theme and animu wallpaper

wtf
>>
>>62098715
No, no children. My girlfriend and I are the children.
>>
>>62098747
>girlfriend
>>
>>62098323
I program on a 15" connected to two 24" 1900x1200 monitors
Clueboard and Razer diamondback
Comfy af
>>
>>62098323
I used to program on a 10" netbook some years ago. Made more shit on that tiny thing than any other computer.

Nowadays it's usually my desktop I program on because I hardly need to travel anywhere anymore.
>>
>>62098683
wallpaper pls?
>>
>>62098683
are you that guy from the desktop thread?
>>
>>62098440
mfw I unironically studied C with only the c programming language and my android phone with termux and gcc because I had a small backpack for the holidays and didn't have the room for my laptop
>>
>>62098550
Totally agree. In Russia we say "двaчyю" to express endorsement.
>>
>>62100774
Need proof
>>
>>62098323
>Any programmer made the switch from a desktop to a laptop ?
yes
>Is a 14" screen enough to work on ?
Mine is 15", but 14 should work fine too. Having multiple 24" monitors is nice, but not necessary at all.
>What about neck/back pain of having to work with your head always tilted forward ?
Use adjustable chairs and desks. You shouldn't have to tilt your head.
>Are you working with the laptop on a table exclusively or do you work on couch / bed / etc. ?
Tables
>What about the trackpad use ? Do you still use a mouse ?
I don't like the trackpad. I always carry a mouse with my laptop, but most of my work is done from the keyboard anyway.
>>
Programming on a memepad with the classic keyboard is almost indistinguishable from a desktop in many cases. Using the trackpoint (nipple) is vastly superior to a trackpad or mouse since your hands never leave the keyboard.
You can sit anywhere or lie down or whatever when you code on a laptop so posture is overall a non-issue.
Modern laptops generally do not fit this description. The keyboards are trash and the hinge designs and weight distribution prevent you from actually getting comfy. Nevermind the lack of a trackpoint. I don't know how people get any work done on something like a Surface.
>>
>>62098323
I work on a 13.5 in screen. 14 should be fine. I use the built in trackpad since it's actually good(mbp) but I mostly use the keyboard for navigation
>>
>>62098323
>What about neck/back pain of having to work with your head always tilted forward ?

Laptops are absolutely terrible in terms of ergonomics. If you're going to spend hours in front of a laptop then make sure to make adjustments. Either get a monitor or an external keyboard/mouse. You should NOT be tilting forward for an extended amount of time. Take it from someone who just recently finished PT for neck/upper back problems.
>>
>>62098440
>not exclusively coding on a fridge with modified ROM.
>>
>>62101759
My dixk is 16.5cm.

here
>>
>>62102010

Elderfag here.

I actually got fucking nasty migraines from having neck bent all the time working on 12" laptop so fuck that I got 15.4" now but still, even the shittiest slowest desktop is better than any laptop.

You may get away with laptop while you're young but why doing that to yourself.
>>
>>62102494
So glorified clit actually
>>
>>62098323
Not a programmer but I'm studying for networking and such. Do a lot of admin tasks on my laptop (surface laptop) through remote VMs and such.

Works great and the battery life, screen and trackpad are fuckin great
>>
>>62098440
>not writing code on a pen and paper to scan and convert it to text
>>
I use both. When I work from home, I usually spend 5 hours at the desktop and the rest in bed, in the garden or in the living room with a laptop.
>>
>>62098323
14" is OK for coding, unless you use bloated IDEs. If you want to watch movies or play games is shit thou.

Also, make sure is light and slim, even if you have to renounce a dedicated GPU, actually you better forget about dedicated GPU, laptops are no good for that. Make sure the CPU is energy efficient too, it will heat less. (Bluetooth is also a must if you use any device that requieres it, wasting a USB is just stupid)
>>
>>62100585
Sure!

https://lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/vaporwave_awoo.png

https://lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/vaporwave_awoo_1280.png

>>62100720
I think so, I go to those sometimes.
>>
I use my 15" laptop pretty much every day. I used to go in to the office to use my monitors, but I prefer to sleep until around 8 AM and then quickly log on when it's time to work. Fuck traffic, fuck commuting. I already have to give up 8-9 hours a day for work, I'm not giving up any more.
>>
>>62098323
I sold my PC for an X220, upgraded the shit out of it. Couldn't be happier.
>>
>>62098440
I've actually met people who unironically think mobile versions of app builders for kids can replace actual programming. They're typically the same people who define "technical knowledge" by how well you can navigate the Snapchat UI.
>>
>>62098550
>You'll do most of your work on a table because being on a bed will just make you browse 4chan.
That's my precise situation right now.
>>
>>62104183
Hopefully I'll never meet people like this. Shit, every normalfag is like this.
>>
File: 2125537830_7170628171_b[1].jpg (112KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
2125537830_7170628171_b[1].jpg
112KB, 1024x685px
>>62098323
No, that's what god made the Thinkpad Clit for, you can quickly cursor shit without lifting your hands from keyboard
>>
>>62104315
This isnt the 90s grandpa
Nobody likes those
>>
>>62098323
I thought a 14" laptop would be enough.

I was wrong. The keyboard feels awful to use. It's too small and the keycaps too short.
>>
>>62104578
You can get out. The clit mouse is perfection.
>>
>>62104183
>>62104223
In my day (the mid-late 2000s), it was Microsoft Office that was the sole definer of technical knowledge.

It was still ridiculous but not as ridiculous as today.
>>
>>62104315
Wow, never knew this existed. Now my revolutionary idea on using strain gauges for human machine interfaces can go to trash. Happens all the time with revolotionary ideas.
>>
>>62104871
You really never knew about it before?

It was huge before trackpads were a thing

Thinkpads are pretty much the only brand that keeps them around anymore on laptops today (and they have the best feeling one, since they have the patent from IBM which uses, you guessed it, strain gauges)
>>
>>62098323
If your "programs" are college projects then yes.
If you work on big projects with lot of files/dependencies/long files good luck on that 14" single screen.
Pivot is your friend.
>>
>>62105112
What's pivot?
>>
>>62105181
>What's pivot?
state of /g/
you can see by this questions for many people acualy are working in development and how many are writing hello world's in bed on 12 inches and installing distros all day long
>>
>>62105268
Well if you just be a smug fuck every time instead of telling people about it how do you expect anyone to learn what the new shit is
>>
>>62098323
Anything less than 2x24" is horrible.
>>
>>62105295
>how do you expect anyone to learn what the new shit is
pivot is not new
this is not a place to learn
you learn in school/university/on the job/yourself searching for shit
it would take you less time to google pivot than to write this post
eat shit
>>
>>62105386
Who the fuck goes to university to learn the latest development trends?
>>
File: Acer1.jpg (229KB, 1500x929px) Image search: [Google]
Acer1.jpg
229KB, 1500x929px
>>62098323
Haven't owned a desktop in ~7 years. Hasn't been a problem. I love cheap/light laptops (chromebooks/nettops) with Linux for development. Everyone fags out over screen quality, but cheap 1080p panels are pretty damn good these days.

Currently using pic-related running Ubuntu. $220 on Amazon. Fucking amazing.
>>
>>62105181
Google tells me is just another generic framework for Java. I don't use Java so dunno if he meant that. If that's the case he should be ashmed for thinking pivot is a thing.
>>
>>62105397
no one, you do that on the job, working for companies following them
>>
>>62105386
All I get googling pivot is a motorbike brand and that old stick figure animator
>>
>>62105496
Google "pivot monitor"
>>
>>62105419
>32GB ssd
Who would punish themselves like this?
>>
>>62105511
> Talking about laptopts
> Makes reference to tech that only works on desktop
Great.
>>
>>62105577
>current year
>local storage
I've got a home cloud for that with daily backups.
>>
>>62105577
good challenge. i could do it, but would need a server running elsewhere to not be pulling my hair out. good thing they are cheap now.
but for now i'm running a decent desktop with a chinkpad that's a some years old.
>>
>>62098323
here, I have a powerful desktop and a shitty laptop but I always end up using the latter even at home
did most of my work on a 11" netbook, 14 is enough but be sure it's at least 1080p if you want to be real comfy. now i use a 15.6" 768p and I'd like some more res even though I can program fine with this.
I had that on desktop too, it's more about the chair/table I guess. I found that opening the screen more (like, mpre than 90 degrees) helps
>Are you working with the laptop on a table exclusively or do you work on couch / bed / etc. ?
mostly on a table, can't concentrate otherwise
when I have a table and I'm shitposting mouse is comfier, while coding I tend to use trackpad only. And mine is a shitty trackpad, if you get anything more decent you'll love it once you're used to it
>>
>>62105577
Actually not that bad tbqhfamily. I'm in my last semester of Uni and made do with 16gig Chromebook and Cruton. Only backup was a pair of free 32gb USB sticks I got from job fairs. No project I have done has required that much space and the few that I was worried about it.
>>
>>62104503
similiar thread
>>
>>62105577

>costanza.png
>needing all that storage
all a man needs is a base Linux install and emacs/vim + browser which is only a few gigs

t. living on 16jiggabytes for years
>>
>>62098589
>not exclusively writing code with palm pilot grafiti
>>
>>62098440
It would be cool to have a legitimate programming keyboard for mobile programming. Like for example, configured for C++, type for and it fills out all the rest, sorta like a snippet
>>
>>62103905
is dis da new desktop thread????
>>
>>62105577
It's fine for linux
>>
>>62098323

Get an adjustable chair desk. You should never have to tilt your head forward.
>>
I do all non work programming on my thinkpad t420. I love my little clunky laptop.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.