[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alright /g/ im asking a legit question here. i know a lot of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

alright /g/ im asking a legit question here. i know a lot of you use linux over wangblows so obviously you dont game much. if not gaming what do you do when you boot your machine up every day. i feel like my computer use hs gone stale i need something to do
>>
>i need something to do
get a job
>>
>>62093020
i have two but i mean what d peoople do on teir computers i feel like i do nothing
>>
File: 1497837436112.jpg (330KB, 847x609px) Image search: [Google]
1497837436112.jpg
330KB, 847x609px
>>62093005
I do web basic browsing, I manage my home server, I do spreadsheets, I listen to music and audiobooks, I do hobbyist programming, I run virtual machines to test my programs, I read and respond to emails, I hang out on BBS and IRC, I read the news, I play GBA games in an emulator, I make shitty frog memes in Krita, I chat with friends on Telegram, and I view the photos that I take with my phone as a hobby. I do this all in Debian or Fedora and I haven't used Winshit in years. The PCs at work run Windows but I use Fedora on mine and just boot off an external hard drive and nobody cares. Living the GNU life is great. If you can't find something productive to do, that's no the computer's fault.
>>
>>62093005
>i need something to do
Learn to program - read http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/.
Make a fleet of VMs and learn system administration.
Read some comics.
Learn to 3D.
Make shitty sampled music.
Start your own imageboard.

The possibilities are truly endless.
>>
>>62093005
Endless configuration and trying out new shit I encounter everywhere (twitter, forums, wikis mostly), fucking around with virtual machines (noob pentesting mostly), automating stuff with bash, learning perl, python and c as much as I need to get around simple problems and debugging. If I'm lazy, I just browse forums, twitter feed and IRC. If I'm very lazy, gaming. I'm quite happy with Steam offerings these days. There are tons of Linux native games available. And there's always PS4 for triple-A titles.
>>
Would you get in your car if you're not going anywhere? Would you turn on your stove if you're not cooking anything? Would you grab a hammer if you're not going to nail anything? Then why do you boot your computer without having something to do?
>>
>>62093005
Youll go stale with everything you dont constantly do.
I use to do all kinds of shit with windows, but then I switched to linux about 5 years ago and now I dont remember basic shit about windows.
>>
>>62093005
You can play almost all dx9/10 games on Linux with Wine.
Sure, you get lower total framerate, but such is life.
>>
>if not gaming what do you do
>>
LOTS and LOTS of great indie titles are done for Linux. RimWorld, Dwarf Fortress, etc. I don't need more, AAA and modern gaming industry has gone to shitter. The last game I've played on Windows is DOOM 2016. I don't remember booting to Windows from then.
>>
>>62093005
Dude, I game a shitload. Almost half my steam library is linux compatible.
>>
>>62093005
I have a linux server at home.
Tried linux desktop a few times, but IDE-s were awful, and I kept distrohopping
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.