[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conway's Game of Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Animated_glider_emblem.gif (20KB, 121x121px) Image search: [Google]
Animated_glider_emblem.gif
20KB, 121x121px
Maybe im to young to known everything about this but i have no idea what all this is about.
Im interested in the geek scene (Please pardon this term) and i already know the mechanics of the game.
But i do not know why its part of the tech scene.

Please tell me somerhing about this game that isnt written on the wiki page. Tell me how you found the game.
>>
cuz it uses 1337 hacker coding algorithms to represent lifeforms spreading often never ending and constantly spreading, showing that all life is a disease and must be eradicated immediately
>>
I found this game by adding one and one together, creating life!
>>
How old are you OP?
>>
>>62087868
https://hackaday.com/2013/10/19/game-of-life-clock/
>>
>>62087868
>But i do not know why its part of the tech scene.
It's easy to program and was published in an era where CPU time was getting comparatively cheap. Despite the wierd love for it that's grown for it among "hackers" it's not that interesting as cellular automata go. Cellular automata in general aren't that interesting in the larger domain of automata theory, I assume the public interest stems from them looking cool on a screen. They're no more powerful than more standard "programmable" models (FSMs, PDAs, TMs) but comparatively unamenable to analysis.
>>
>>62087868
>Tell me how you found the game.

Wikipedia. Played it.

Shits fun.
>>
>>62087868
That chord diagram makes no sense.
>>
>>62087868
It's just supposed to be an example of extranalities. People think they can make perfect predictive models of complicated things and conways game of Life shows that even very simple things with very simple rules can have excessively and unpredictably complicated results.
>>
>>62088516
cool clock, mohammed
>>
>>62089025
That's stupid, the fact that systems with simple rules can give rise to chaotic results says exactly nothing about the possibility of making predictions in other systems, even ones with complicated rule sets. If anything it demonstrates the opposite: complexity of the rules governing the system say little about whether the system will evolve predictably or chaotically.
>>
>>62089281
Interesting Annon....
>>
>>62090654
>Game of Life isn't chaotic. It's proven to be deterministic.
It's not much of a "proof" but regardless, a system's status a deterministic has nothing to do with it being chaotic or not. In fact the vast majority of systems studied as chaotic are deterministic.

>There are predictable patterns such as gliders for example. Even Conway doesn't think much of it nowadays.
Indeed, Conway floated it as something kinda interesting. I'd argue the popular cult that's grown around it has much more to do with its status as being associated with "hackerdom" by the likes of ESR and co than any actual quality of the system.

>I recently had another go at it with Racket and actually drawing cells, and was surprised to see how slow it gets as the board gets larger. There's a lot of room for optimization. I ended up using a hash table that only kept active cells/neighbors each gen which makes sparse boards pretty fast. Next is to try Hashlife.
>If you google "Conway Optimization" you'll find tons of really inventive ways people have sped this game up, including a lot of interesting C implementations that use bit shifting. I remember one guy even wrote a C program that generated it's own assembly to run the game. Crazy shit.
Yeah, hashlife is cool. More interesting than Life itself IMO
>>
>>62088487
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.