[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Free shizzle sausage sizzle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170824_190739.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170824_190739.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
Some dumb fuck gave me a WD black 2tb drive because he snapped off the sata power connector bit thing.

Are these molex SATA adapters really a firehazard or is that just another shitty /g/ meme?

Also what's some free shit you've gotten for your PC?
>>
You type like a retard and ask retarded questions.
>>
>>62075748
Shush my dear retarded nugget and answer the question :')
>>
>>62075733
you shouldve posted this on /sqt/ anyway, i made a older molex to 4 satas to power my hdds, (scrapped old psu) i've checked multiple times to see if they were heating up or if my disks were stealing power from each other, since then, i had no problems so far. I assume it's safe, as long the cables are thick.
>>
>>62075733
>Some dumb fuck gave me a WD black 2tb drive because he snapped off the sata power connector bit thing.
Indeed, what a clumsy dumb fuck that person is. It's not like it's easy to break them.

>Are these molex SATA adapters really a firehazard or is that just another shitty /g/ meme?
They are fine.

>Also what's some free shit you've gotten for your PC?
Not much. Got this almost two years ago.
Z97 Pro Gamer
i7 4790S
16GB 2400MHz DDR3
If you want a story why, just ask.
>>
File: IMG_20170824_185909.jpg (575KB, 2580x1452px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170824_185909.jpg
575KB, 2580x1452px
>>62076451
Yeah like it's totally snapped in half and shit yo
>>
>>62076485
Is the person that gave it to you named Ralph?
>>
>>62075733
>Are these molex SATA adapters really a firehazard or is that just another shitty /g/ meme?
That particular molex SATA adapter is a fire hazard.
You can tell because the wires into the SATA connector are all potted in.
>>
>>62076525
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TataDaUNEFc
Further information.
>>
>>62076485
Just solder a normal SATA connector, you have plenty of space to work with.
>>
>>62076559
I'm lazy and this was easier.
>>
>>62076525
>You can tell because the wires into the SATA connector are all potted in.
It's a manufacturing issue and not necessarily the mold itself that's the problem. Let that be clear. Wires can touch each other inside that mold because the chinese are a bunch of cheapskates with no regard for safety.
>>
I essentially got an EVGA FTW3 1080 Ti for free
>>
>>62076760
Yeah, but other types of molex to SATA connectors use better methods, like crimping which ensures that the wires are separated and won't come into contact.
>>
>>62076861
Trust me, crimping can most definitely get fucked up if you manufactoring is shit.
>>
>>62077144
You would be able to see it at the least.

If you look in the video the crimped ones are physically separated from each other by the hard plastic housing so there is lower risk in failing in the manner.

In another video he tears down all the potted connectors he has and in one of them the 12v wire and the ground wire had their insulation melted together while they were getting molded into the connector.
It wasn't a connector that failed but it illustrates the issue. When those wired get molded in there anything can happen and there will be no way to tell from the outside.
The better designed ones don't involve molding or heating the wires at all, so as long as they are crimped or slotted in properly they will be fine, and you can see from the outside that they are okay.
>>
File: 060.png (124KB, 600x570px) Image search: [Google]
060.png
124KB, 600x570px
>>62077289
>>
>>62077349
Thanks, it is hard talking sense to people.
>>
I used one of those cables in my previous system and it caught fire. I'd say at best, it's a gamble. You're better off soldering a new connector on.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.