[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone managed to set up pfsense on Xen before? I kinda want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: image02.png (15KB, 721x179px) Image search: [Google]
image02.png
15KB, 721x179px
Anyone managed to set up pfsense on Xen before?
I kinda want to do it, but I'd like some opinions before I go buy a network card.
Also need to move my existing linux install into a vm, and have it be able to access physical drives, but apparently that's not very straightforward with xen.
>>
Why not kvm? I have it running under kvm as a router
>>
>>62061000
I was thinking of type-1 hypervisors, never considered type-2. No idea why.
Is there a guide or something? If it's fast enough, going with kvm will save me from having to move the linux install.
>>
>>62061039
Kvm is type 1
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/ibmvirtualization/entry/kvm_myths_uncovering_the_truth_about_the_open_source_hypervisor?lang=en
>>
>>62061064
How is host-guest networking?
This may sound strange but can it provide an additional interface for the host to connect to WAN, separate from the LAN (and its route to WAN)?
>>
>>62061039
Super duper easy. Got up and running with kvm 30 mins. Networking is pretty solid, if pass-through works on your nic
>>
>>62061127
I'm planning on buying a Intel GbE NIC. Chinks have it for cheap.
>>
>>62061123
Create a bridge on host network adapter, attach both host and vm to bridge and you'll get a dhcp adres on both.
>>62061142
Nah man. Get a proper Nic off ebay. Spend 150 for a 4 port Intel server grade.
>>
I'm not rich, so no 10GbE Intel NIC

What's a good alternative with good bsd/linux drivers?
>>
File: 2017-08-24 15-41-22.png (212KB, 832x316px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-24 15-41-22.png
212KB, 832x316px
>>62061186
Well I'll figure the network thing out later. What I really meant is basically access to 2 WANs for the host, with one connected to the main LAN (and the other its own LAN or just pppoe passthrough)

>$150
That's a bit too much. Would something like this work?
>>
>>62061332
Probably fine desu
>>
>>62061733
Also should I just passthrough the nic to the vm? Or use a virtual device?
>>
>>62061740
Well, why would you want your host in front of your firewall? Just direct pass-through to the pfsense vm and create a new bridge to attach host. Then create a LAN and DMZ and whatever else you want to do with 4 ports
>>
>>62061332
>I'll figure the network thing out later
Your literally creating your network infrastructure you dimwitted idiot. Think what you want before buying anything.
Think before you do
>>
>>62061127
I had to turn off all hardware offloading to get higher speed than 1Mbps
>>
>>62061186
>intel nics are not proper nics

quit your bullshit, used nics are complete ok 90% of the time (and you just refund if something is wrong)

>>62061740
>>62061860
this, passthrough is much better
>>
>>62062028
Well I hope the adapter and my MB supports VT-d then. The CPU does but not too sure about the MB.
>>
>>62062065
you mean chipset
if your cpu supports it you're probably find
i dont know, i only use amd and xeon systems for hw virt
>>
>>62062065
>>62062086
the "adapter"(nic) doesnt need to support vt-d at all
as far as its concerned the host machine doesnt exist
>>
>>62062086
Apparently it depends on the MB manufacture as well. Mine has a B85 chipset.
>>62062093
That's good to hear. I read somewhere that it doesn't have some fancy feature that may make it not work with pci passthrough.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.