[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.techpowerup.com/236422/ retailers-are-buying-amd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: ktpkKYa20QbrW0Km.jpg (235KB, 1000x1334px) Image search: [Google]
ktpkKYa20QbrW0Km.jpg
235KB, 1000x1334px
https://www.techpowerup.com/236422/retailers-are-buying-amd-rx-vega-64-at-usd-675-each

HAHAHA OH WOW
>>
AMD is pure scum.
>>
>>62060289
>>62060289
>>
>>62060289
>>62060474
>blaming amd for what distributors and retailers are doing
>>
>>62060505
>I don't know what buying from suppliers means so I'll just post something to jerk off about and blame everyone else but the actual problem

Indefensible. Unless you're a shill.
>>
>>62060521
>I am saying a bunch of big /g/ words that don't make sense
common sense>book learnin
>>
Yeah nah I'm going to get a 1080ti for $950aud
>>
>>62060542
So you are an illiterate faggot as well as an AMD shill? Or are the two no longer exclusive?
>>
Poor retailers, I really feel bad for their bottom line.
Not like they have a choice to NOT buy Vega off AMD
>>
>>62060599
>i am a huge faggot please rape my face
i know.
>>
>>62060631
Same happening the world over ven here in aus 64s are going for 800-1000+
>>
>>62060638
AMD is getting their monies worth with you!
>>
>>62060631
This, I bet that big bad AMD is literally forcing at gun point to buy Vega!

No seriously if the retailers don't see benefit in it they won't buy it, fucking obviously.
This just means that Vega 10 was always made to be a limited run.
>>
>>62060631
So what is AMD doing about it?
>>
>>62060673
What is AMD supposed to do? Business is business, you offer a product at a price, and see if it'll be sold or not, it's literally black and white.
>>
>>62060686
Man I forget sometimes you people have no idea what you're talking about sometimes.

They can completely strip the supplier of all business, sue them for breach of contract, and then just for shits and giggles, get them embargoed by other manufacturers and bankrupt them.

You act like AMD is brand fucking new. Vega has been catastrophic from beginning to end, someone needs to be fired.
>>
>>62060740
>They can completely strip the supplier of all business
But why? I mean maybe AMD is charging higher prices to the suppliers in the first place.
>>
>>62060740
AMD can't do fucking shit, how big do you think they are? They're not Intel or IBM

AMD is dependent on OEMs more than the OEMs are dependent on them, they'll just take their business elsewhere.
>>
>>62060757
Then AMD is fucking scum and your knee jerk defense is laughable.
>>
>>62060767
Isn't raising prices with rising demand what capitalist companies are supposed to do?
>>
>>62060758
Lol. This is not a supplier of raw parts. This is a distributor of finished product over charging. AMD can and should bend these fuckers over. Assuming they aren't part of the problem themselves.
>>
>>62060777
They can't do that while also "suggesting" a much lower MSRP.

The most likely explanation here is that suppliers see no reason to stick to the agreed-upon pricing and are adjusting their pricing towards retailers in order to make a bigger profit, preferring the short term profits over the long-term backlash from AMD. Since these suppliers aren't public facing, they're unlikely to publically lose face over this.
>>
>>62060814
>Assuming they aren't part of the problem themselves
That "problem" you refer to is free market capitalism, dude. Are you a communist or something?
>>
> ITT: People who don't understand how business nor MSRP work

It's simple, AMD sells cards to retailers for $X, and retailers sells it to customers for $y which includes various levels of markup.
AMD cannot tell retailers what they may or may not sell the cards for, only a recommended value (MSRP) so that the manufacturer themselves can sort of give future potential customers an approximate of what the product will cost in their presentation slides.

If the retailers notices that the card is high in demand, a demand that is over the number of cards manufactured each month by the manufacturer, obviously they're going to increase their markup because the demand is high so people are willing to spend more money. It's basic business logic.

AMD however cannot legally demand that retailers sell the product for a specific price. The retailer can sell the card for anything from $1 to $Infinity and AMD has no say in it.
The only thing AMD can do is choose to not sell their cards to that retailer in the future for whatever reason, eg "Your high prices damaged our company image last year".
Sadly, as the situation is right now they cannot do either because it's not just one retailer selling for an insanely high markup, all of them are, because again, the demand is super high.
>>
>>62060777
No. It is literally illegal to advertise one price, and sell for another. So either AMD can bend this supplier over and sodomize it at it's leisure, or they are ok with over charging because that is now the MSRP.

Either AMD fixes it, or they are complicit in it.
>>
>>62060828
You're a simpleton faggot who reads too much and understands very little.
>>
>>62060230
This is a good video explaining on what's happening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdK-n1NYNXc
>>
I blame and ultimately because even after constant delays due to shit yields they still can't keep up supply.

What they need to do is also sell frontier edition cards directly to cut these faggot vendors out.

Nvdia has been doing it for a while and ironically it fixed most of the supply issues bar faggot miners ofc
>>
>>62060862
He is making several assumptions that we have no idea about.

cost and yields per die, we know the yields are high but with vega being big, we don't know how many of these failed vega 64's are now 56's and how many are 100% fucked, the cost of hbm2, all we are ever given is it costs allot, but gddr5 costs 10$ pergb, if amd is pulling profit from a 400$ card, that they are likely selling at far less than 400$, how much does hbm2 cost? and he is also assuming that this is amd is the retailer here, not that they are at least 3 sales removed from the customers.
>>
>>62061307
The interposer is much smaller than Fiji, and 4-Hi stacks cost peanuts.
The only problem is volume, the volume for HBM2 is pretty low and Vega is fighting for fab capacity with Zen.
>>
>>62060836
>It's simple, AMD sells cards to retailers for $X
No, AMD cards to a supplier who jacks up the price to sell them to retailers who jack up the price to sell to you.

When the suppliers are short on stock they may jack up the price further to sell to retailers, who will then jack up the price further to try and make money back from the customers.

Basically suppliers are scum.
>>
>>62061551
But in the end AMD is not at fault.
>>
>>62061560
Yeah. They're probably selling to the suppliers at the same price.
>>
File: 1196853535573.jpg (86KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1196853535573.jpg
86KB, 1024x576px
>>62060230
I don't care about Vega, look at that Dot Matrix Printer action.
>>
>watch GN last night
>R56 hits 1080 and R64 performance easy
>the cost is 400W
>at lower price
*shrugs*
>>
>>62061426
even the cheapest ddr4 I can get is nearly 7$ a gb, this is new ram that is used almost exclusively by 2 venders as of right now, I have no idea what the cost is, but 10$ per gb gddr5 is what I know, and I would assume that its either slightly more or slightly less expensive just because there are less go betweens, its samsung selling directly to amd rather then the route gddr5 goes through.

I honestly don't think the interposer matters a smuch as some think for total cost, at least in relation to size.
>>
>>62061687
undervolt oc the thing and its 20 watts more then a 1070 aib oc in watt use.
>>
>>62060230
>linking an article from a well known click bait source
wew lad
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.