[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I plan to get a Raspberry Pi 3 soon and I feel I want to mod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

File: 1502863400708.jpg (286KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1502863400708.jpg
286KB, 1920x1080px
I plan to get a Raspberry Pi 3 soon and I feel I want to mod Toshiba Libretto 110CT by removing the motherboard, battery, screen etc and replacing it with modern components to make it more functional again. Afterwards I would install Lubuntu and give it a windows 98 look and feel for retro means

The question and hardest part would be the keyboard since it is proprietary and even if I was able to hook to the Raspberry Pi i still had drivers issues to deal with.

Could I make the drivers in C since there was a post for a guy did a similar thing with the another Toshiba and did wrote drivers in C. Also I could do it in python .
>>
the libretto better be broken beyond repair or i will personally kill you and your lack of offspring
>>
File: image.jpg (163KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163KB, 640x480px
>modern components
>Raspberry pi 3
>>
>>62043936
The Raspberry Pi 3 I getting from a friend I know who selling for $15. What I meant was I wanted to add a 6in touchscreen display, put either sata ssd or a microsd, add USB and Ethernet and put a light Linux distro
>>
>>62043893
you're going to get bored of it after a day and it's going to look like hacked up garbage
stop while you're ahead and go actually design a look-alike case that's meant for the piece of shit toy SBC you want to disgrace it with instead of taking yet another libretto off of the market for some stupid attention seeking fantasy
>>
>>62044000
I'm saying you can do better than a raspberry pi though, like a SFX motherboard or something along those lines, with at least a real CPU (ideally APU, and ideally ideally wait for Raven ridge for something like this)
>>
>>62044569
are there even any <17W APUs? trying to shove anything like that in one of those cramped little bricks sounds like a housefire and a half that wouldn't really be that great anyway
>>
Are you literally just copying the X201 that's posted in the thinkpad generals
>>
throwback pepsi is made with beet sugar not cane sugar, fck out of here this isn't the honker burger
>>
>>62044569
Keep in mind I'm trying to aim for efficiency also not for raw power, I know there is something better and faster but the goal is make it have great battery life and use the same original battery it came with. The Raspberry Pi can be easily power and does not require a power supply or a huge battery to power it.
>>
>>62044671
>and use the same original battery it came with
honestly I don't really think you understand what you're getting yourself into, my man
>>
>>62044671
These ideas are mostly just going to be in concept and if I go through with it, the things I would like to do would be goals and will compromise if need to
>>
>>62044778
you're going to be doing a hell of a lot of compromising if you can't even re-pack a laptop battery
it's seriously just a shitty candidate for what you want to do, I don't think /g/ realizes how awful librettos are to use for more than 20-30 minutes at a time because there are only like 3 people on this board who actually own one
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 550x343px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 550x343px
>>62044611
Intel has this
Given the necessary resolution it could even play some gaymen
>>
>>62044671
>original battery
You just said you're gonna remove the battery, which happens to be one of the worst-aging parts possible
>>
File: 1503006828031.jpg (36KB, 353x356px) Image search: [Google]
1503006828031.jpg
36KB, 353x356px
>>62043893
Good luck with that I/O anon.
>>
>>62045106
>playing games with a libretto mouse
lmao you niggers really do have no idea
>>
if you get this working, i'll pay for one or at least the instructions to do it
>>
>>62044627
You got a photo of this?
>>
>>62043893
>ruining a libretto for a shitty meme
>>
>>62043904
This.
>>
File: 483376-deathadder-chroma-main.jpg (6KB, 333x245px) Image search: [Google]
483376-deathadder-chroma-main.jpg
6KB, 333x245px
>>62045157
Stupid noob.
>>
>>62043893
I'll just stop you right there and tell you the only comments you are going to get will look like the ones in this thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5qewph/refurbished_and_old_xbox_development_kit_and_made/
>>
>>62045390
B-B-BUT HALOOOOOOOO
>>
File: 1475001966540.jpg (609KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1475001966540.jpg
609KB, 2048x1365px
What went wrong?
>>
File: image.png (143KB, 629x1173px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
143KB, 629x1173px
>>62045506
>you'll never own a Libretto DS
>>
This device is quite nice, please don't destroy it.
>>
File: IMTEADOFF.png (197KB, 459x341px) Image search: [Google]
IMTEADOFF.png
197KB, 459x341px
>>62043893
>tfw I was the one who posted this pic here and made the board aware of the Libretto's existence a few years ago

What a fucking mistake that was.

Gutting out a Libretto to slap in a bargain bin ARM SOC is destroying what made it so cool, all the engineering it took to fit a full blown Pentium computer in the size of a VHS tapes, all the custom proprietary components with no replacements that you were probably going to toss.

Fucking underages and their vaporwave meme shit.
>>
>>62044611
Get one of these atom based computers like the Compute Stick. They should be able to even run without cooling.
>>
You can't do it. 99% of the Libretto is proprietary, the screen size is unusual and doesn't have a replacement, a RPi doesn't have the port flexibility to make it look good, you're not going to be able to fit a battery pack in it, etc. Your best bet is 3d printing a case that can fit a good sized standard issue LCD and maybe desoldering the ports off an RPi and wiring them up to a daughterboard.
>>
>>62048340
Are you still using yours?
>>
>>62045381
6/10 it made me rage just thinking about it
>>
>>62048730
This is what I'd wish these half-asses would do, why the fuck hasn't someone built a good low-cost palmtop enclosure that can fit a Zero or similar yet? They're gonna spend just as much gutting these bricks that don't even look that great, literally the only thing that's cool about them is the shit they're going to toss.
>>
File: 14346234724.gif (2MB, 420x379px) Image search: [Google]
14346234724.gif
2MB, 420x379px
firstly, only mod it if it's defective, otherwise you deserve pic related.

secondly, how about you use an x86 based oneboard system? there are a couple that are way more powerful than the rpi and x86 based would keep it closer to the original.
also, get a controller for the original display and don't fucking hackjob a new display (which will probably not fit) in there. you can get universal controllers on ebay that the chinaman will custom firmware for you.
>>
>>62045506
- Price and weight
- Windows sucked for touchscreens
- No one wanted a second screen instead of a proper keyboard
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.