[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily reminder to wait until next year to buy a CPU Intel is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: zen2.png (258KB, 760x380px) Image search: [Google]
zen2.png
258KB, 760x380px
Daily reminder to wait until next year to buy a CPU

Intel is releasing a new CPU every month and Ryzen still has bugs that they will iron out in the 2nd release.
>>
already ordered a Ryzen 1700 and the mobo will see one of its successors thanks to AMD not changing sockets every goddamn year.
>>
>>62033912
>J-just wait
Thanks anon

>Zen 14nm++ will still be LPP and not clock much higher, if at all.
>Zen 2 7nm will be late 2018

Now is a good time to buy.
>>
>>62034000
Good buy fren, im loving my 1700x.
>>
>>62033912
>Ryzen still has bugs that they will iron out in the 2nd release
The segfault under Linux when compiling was already fixed in Epyc and Threadripper and doesn't effect later Ryzen CPUs.

http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-Segv-Response
>>
>>62034002
Desktop CPUs barely progress so you won't miss much till 2018. Stability is more important. Zen needs ironing out, and Intel is pointless until they stop rehashing their Lake.
>>
Nah, zen is mainly targeted toward better energy efficiency, we might get like 5% better IPC at best.

R7 1700 only consumes 60 watts on prime 95 at base frequency. That's energy efficient enough for quiet mini-itx builds.
>>
>>62033912
Zen is currently the i5 2500k of the cpu market.
I doubt anyone will be making any "leaps" other than "moar cores" and pushing higher frequencies anytime soon.

You think a company will spend so much time and money on R&D just to sell the result for a few months to a year while R&Ding a new cpu to release in the same period?, we wouldn't have reached the state of monopoly Intel was in otherwise.

And if AMD hadn't ruffled Intel's feathers they would've likely kept changing sockets and pumping out "optimized" cpus with slightly higher clocks and extra pins till otherwise needed.
>>
File: es5ppuC.png (16KB, 862x315px) Image search: [Google]
es5ppuC.png
16KB, 862x315px
>>62034116
forgot pic related
>>
>>62034116
>we might get like 5% better IPC at best
That's better than -1% on Kaby.
>>
>Daily reminder to wait until next year
Well yeah, there will always be slightly better stuff in the future. But if you need a CPU now, now is probably the time to buy it.
>>
>>62034116
7nm means better OC. So, it's worth waiting at least for that.
>>
>>62034132

that's true, and I waited for the 3570K which is my current CPU. I always want a slightly better thing than the obvious pleb choice
>>
File: ram speed.jpg (37KB, 800x261px) Image search: [Google]
ram speed.jpg
37KB, 800x261px
>>62034000
What RAM you getting? Ryzen needs high speed RAM to work at its full potential
>>
>>62033912
Yeah, for gaming my overclocked gen 4 i5 @4.2ghz is probrably roughly equal to an oc 1700. And with vega unavailable it looks like I may have to wait until q1 2018 when zen 2 drops.
>>
>>62033912
My Ryzen 1700 hasn't so much as skipped a beat since launch. AGESA update let me put my GSkill memory where it should be at 3600mhz. Dead solid running 24/7 since a couple weeks after launch.

Really the only issues I've had have been my GTX 1060 stand in GPU. A driver update broke HDMI output settings and stopped letting me utilize full dynamic range and increased color depth.

>>62034116
Even a solid 5% IPC uplift would be huge.
When Ryzen launched the minimum frequency in the Ryzen 7 line was 3.4ghz. If they push base clocks up to 4ghz they'll have a solid 20% uplift right there. The combination of the two will be tremendous.
>>
>>62034165
Nah, OC'ing is for gaymers. I'd much rather have better and more efficient performance with 8 cores vs 2 cores at 6 GHz jist so I can mask the horrible frame stuttering on the latest cowa dooty 19 remastered edition.
>>
>>62034330
Thanks to javascript overclocking is still relevant.
>>
>>62034323
Like 10% at best. Not worth the wait imho. But then again I'm not a gaymer like most of /g/ is.

/g/ should be petitioning for a 6 GHz dual-core processor from AMD or intel since that's what game devs are optimizing for these days.
>>
>>62033912
>Daily reminder to wait until next year to buy a CPU

ok

t.a guy running core2quad
>>
>>62034323
Isn't 7nm aimed for 5 GHz server operation? That implies more than just 4 GHz base clock.
>>
>>62034207
>3466 CL14
>3466 CL14 (2400)
What is this?
>>
I can't wait to buy a used R7 for next to nothing when everyone upgrades to Zen 2
>>
>>62034096
Are you saying I should keep using my phenom 955 and 460 gtx from 2010? But I want to upgrade already
>>
>>62034555
That is a target they listed, yes. In newer material they also claim a 40% performance uplift over 14nm LPP, noting also that they can reach over 45% higher in certain segments.
They also state its capable of 60% lower power.

I only threw out the 20% figure as a conservative estimate.
>>
>>62033912
J U S T W A I T
U
S
T

W
A
I
T
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.