[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you get a job as a programmer without a computer science degree?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

>>
you may get lucky and get a starter position but you wont be able to climb up the ranks easily.

/g/ will tell you that you dont need a degree. search for job openings in your area and see how many require a degree.
>>
Yes, I have degree in math and I got better offers than the CS guys.
>>
>>62026779
Well I did. Having completely no formal education whatsoever (besides HS of course). So, I guess if I could, anyone else can do it too, pretty much.
>>
>>62026798
Having a degree will absolutely help in the long run, but is not necessary for most applications. Your actual field experience, portfolio and ability to learn new things quickly and efficiently are top requirements most of the time IMO.
>>
Yes.
>>
File: eng.jpg (45KB, 687x389px) Image search: [Google]
eng.jpg
45KB, 687x389px
with a strong github or app development history? yeah

with a certificate for passing a code academy class? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>62026828
in europe it is.
>>
File: 1446900605475.jpg (8KB, 241x209px) Image search: [Google]
1446900605475.jpg
8KB, 241x209px
>>62026779
>Can you get a job
no
you need the right interpersonal instincts rather than job related qualifications or abilities
>>
>>62026804
Care to elaborate on how you got there? Also what kind of position were you able to get?
>>
>>62026848
Too bad for europe then. It's been long noted the IT field works in a different way in regards to corellation between education and actual work-related efficiency compared to most other fields. Except academic research and some top level positions I guess. Average workforce in IT mostly doesn't benefit from any kind of education beyond the basics. Which is explainable, the fild is everchanging and formal education simply cannot keep up with that shit.
>>
>>62026897
Went ahead and applied to a shitty IT position in a company (Hotel & resort kind of stuff) having pretty much nothing but basic knowledge. Worked my way up to the main sysadmin/system engineer position of a small holding this company belongs to. Took me 2 full years to do that, kept constantly trying to learn new shit during that time. A constant increase in difficulty of the tasks that were given to me sure as fuck helped a lot. Made a lot of valuable connections during that time, was offered a different position in a softdev company in the same city, now I work there programming stuff (mostly web applications/BA as of now). Not a single fucking day passes where I don't learn something new so I'm pretty happy with how things turned out so far. Thinking about actually getting into a CS/Math degree while I'm at it to further improve.
>>
>>62026779

Yes. In fact, more so than ever before in history of modern software engineering.

Even google dropped their CS B.S. requirement.

Source: I'm a comp sci dropout who has been a developer for a medical device company for the past 10 yrs.....i've also had interviews at Google(they declined) & Apple(I declined).
>>
A Computer scientist is not a good match for an enterprise environment, they tend to be ugly and unpleasant
>>
>>62026779
The requirement for a programming job is the ability to program (duh), however if you look bad on paper such as by not having a degree, there is a chance you will be overlooked no matter how skilled you really are.

Sucks, but that's just reality I guess. Feels great knowing no matter how much you improve yourself it may all be for nothing, eh?
>>
>>62026779
You can, but it's not easy and probably will take you ages to do so
>>
>>62027121
>Feels great knowing no matter how much you improve yourself it may all be for nothing, eh?
It won't ever be for nothing. If you're REALLY good you won't even have to apply for shit, your skills are going to be so valuable you will be noted, hunted and encouraged to change positions with almost a 100% certainty.
>>
You might be able to get a job at a shitt no name startup oaying you peanuts. If you apply for a job at those top companies paying 200k a year starting your application will be instantly trashed.
>>
Alright /g/ is it actually worth investing 6+ hours a day programming and otherwise bettering your skills as a programmer in terms of setting yourself up for a career, or just a meme?

I have a huge passion for programming and already spend similar amounts of time doing this shit as a hobby because I love it, but would I be better off a unicuck?
>>
>>62026848
Had a German gf. She and her family where telling me that in Germany employers always require a degree for everything, even for the lowest jobs. Even to work the cash register at some store you need to go to school.
>>
>>62027252
Not if you are just some unemployed basement dweller (not necessarily through fault of your own) with no way to get recognition for yourself because you have no job, and need experience for a job, and are unable to attain that necessary experience.
>>
>>62026844
>interaction engineer
>>
>>62027340
That's part of the reason why they're retards with an economy 5 times less than that of the US.
>>
>>62026850
this

stay woke f.am
>>
>>62027578
>>62027578
What exactly is an interaction engineer?
>>
>>62026779
maybe webdev freelancing.

no one hires self--taught. too many bad precedences and no one wants to hire a fucking low IQ retards or a loser.
>>
>>62027340
>employers always require a degree for everything, even for the lowest jobs. Even to work the cash register at some store you need to go to school.
Wrong.

If you get a Abi (highschool degree) a lot of places accept you even without qualifications.
And if you dont you are legally forced to get a apprenticeship, since you leave school being 15/16 years.In this case not having had a apprenticeship is pretty much a giant fucking warning signal.
>>
>>62026779
sure I do
>>
>>62027605
a job title for women

sounds like some sort of user interaction role??? maybe design, maybe a secretary??? hard to tell
>>
>>62026779
easily
>>
>>62026779
I got a job with a starting salary of 40k after dropping out of Uni.

I'm on 65k now after a year and a half of working at the same place.

Just have a good attitude and projects to show.
>>
>>62027773
That's peanuts tier.
>inb4 muh cost of living
>>
>>62026844
In some places it's illegal to call yourself an engineer without an actual engineering degree
>>
>>62026969
nice, keep it up
>>
>>62027815
I'm meant to have a chat with the boss about a raise soon. It could definitely be more..
>>
>>62026850
>>62026779
>>62026798
Probably doesn't matter. College is a fucking scam. 40k for what? More brain washing. I'm glad uncle sam paid for my degree because I welfare queened it up in Iraq, because holy fuck what a waste of time.

I don't know about programing, but I currently have a degree in Econ, but I can't get a job in that field. I make good money doing IT. like good enough money that I own rental property and have a wife and kid on the way.

OP, learn how to program, get certs. Fuck college, fuck the student loan system and fuck the communist government.
>>
>>62027935
Well said
>>
>>62027935
fuck the communist system after you partook in it and got dosh for shitall right?
>>
>>62027935
>Importing a wife and children
I see you too are a man of good taste.
>>
>>62027935
What are certs?
>>
>>62027340
ye but take into account that getting a degree is pretty much free
>>
>>62027974
My military service was misplaced honor and duty. I blame the 13 years of required government education camp. aka public school.
I don't regret being a soldier, but I regret what I served. I am anti-egalitarian and anti-democracy now.

I legit believe communist belong in mass graves because they are slavers and thieves who beg for the property of others.
>>
>>62028039
you got yours, fuck everyone else right?
>>
>>62028003
Why in my field, thats retard tier shit like A+ and neworking/ microsoft stuff. I currently hold no certs, and work IT making 40k a year doing almost nothing. Then I get the sweet land lord money on the side.
>>
>>62027833
yeah, most Dr degrees in the US are not recognized outside the US

basically all the professional degrees
>ILLEGAL TO US DR TITLE
>md
>EdD
>DDS
>OD
>JD
and so on, basically if you did not actually do any fucking research and defend a real fucking thesis then you can't legally use the DR title in many countries
>>
>>62028062
lol, not really. I tell people all the time that the government is not worth serving. First of all, its not worth the time you put in. 2nd, its immoral. The US military is pro gay, pro trans, and pro defending everyone at the expense of the US tax payer. AKA, the victims of theft.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't join. I served as a 13b, combat MOS. I pretty much did infantrymen work in Iraq, kicking i doors ect. Its a fucking jock. The amount of fuck heads in the Army makes me wonder how this country ever won a war, I really mean that.

As far "as got your fuck everyone else". There is a saying in the army. You don't steal from the Army, you are taking back what they took from you. Apply that that the US democratic super state.

The most moral form of government is monarchy, but we will never go back to it. The rest of history will be people voting for the property of others and having children at the expense of others until the system falls.

Remember how the soviets collapsed? The same thing will happen to the US.
>>
>>62028133
>>62028133
>There is a saying in the army. You don't steal from the Army, you are taking back what they took from you.

That's fucking retarded, you chose to serve so you let them take it little bitch.
>>
>>62028236
He's a retard. Ignore him.
>>
>>62028257
fuck you burger
In 2008, The Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany extended their 2001 decision to recognise EU PhDs to cover PhDs that were awarded in Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, and some American universities. It was announced in 2012 that this would be further extended to cover PhDs awarded in New Zealand. PhDs that were awarded in the United States are recognized if the awarding institution is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a "Research University (high research activity)" or as a "Research University (very high research activity)." Permission to use the title covers only scientific research degrees and does not extend to professional degrees such as the M.D. or J.D.[1
>>
>>62028257
in the EU it is against the law to use the Dr title if you do not have a research doctorate, there are very few exceptions
>>
>>62028292
Then explain Doctor Who.
>>
>>62028257
my bad, i'm half asleep, thought you were calling me a retard

never mind
>>
>>62028133
>muh religious moral monarchy is best

lul fuck off to bible study
>>
>>62028133

Yeah, nah.

My dad did 30 years in the USAF. Took us from low class to upper-middle after he put on E9 after 19 years.

This isn't even bringing into account incentive pay, the GI Bill (that you can transfer to your spouse or children, which my father did to me), disability % pay and retirement pay.

Military is okay. It's no where near the hell hole you're making it out to be, maybe since you actually went into a combat MOS, but the military has treated my father and I pretty fucking well.
>>
I can't say I'm a "real" programmer, but I do stuff with VBA, python and AHK. Using them with COM and sqlite to help with accounting stuff.

But yeah, business grad in a scripting position.
>>
>>62026779
Well, that week went quickly, didn't it?
Yes, you can get a coding job with no degree.
You'll get miserable pay and no promotions.
You'll be at the beck and call of any other (qualified) coder and will get all the shit work.
You'll be blamed for anythng that goes wrong and be expected to work unpaid overtime.
>>
>>62027898
Don't listen to them. You're doing great, anon. As long as you can live a somewhat comfy life the number doesn't matter. Good luck, I'm happy for you.
>>
>>62026779
i work at a pretty decent 3d movie studio and half our coders and td's dont have any formal degrees, but thats just this field
>>
No, that's an absolute bullshit.
I know a self-taught guy and he started his company which does remote printing/scanning services via his software.
He's literally millionaire and has cooking degree (took cooking because fewest classes)
>>
>>62026779
I don't know but i hope the 2 year Diploma i am getting specifically in Software development and Programming will allow me to get a job if i contribute to enough open source projects and build websites on the side
>>
>>62027773
what do you put on your resume after you dropped out?
>>
>>62026779
>Can you get a job as a programmer without a computer science degree
Yes

But it will be harder than with one.
>>
>>62028031
I had to pay for books and that's it.
In return they paid me, so I could rent a place of my own while I studied.
I saved up enough money while I was a student to make the down payment for my own place when I was done.
No debt taken on from being a student, but I had to live modestly.
>>
>>62028092
Here, a doctorate is an achievement you can get if you make some significant discovery. Sort of like the Nobel's peace price but only considering people in the country. It is not common for people to get this honor.
A PhD is not a doctor.
>>
>>62026779
>work before going to school for 2 years
>finish cs
>apply with 2 yrs exp and a degree
>enjoy mad dosh
>>
>>62026844
>they get to call them selves engineer for no reason in the US.

lmao this is the country equivalent of the special class where "everyone's a winner".

lmao when will they learn
>>
You could, my dad did it, but it really, REALLY, depends on your age. Cause the mindset is, if you're like a 30-40something wanting to get into programming for a change in your career, companies are more willing to give you some sort of starter position. However, if you come in at age 22-30 without a degree, you'll be laughed out. Of course, my dad got into IT in the 90s, so this could all be moot by now.
>>
>>62026844
How to get strong GitHub?
> inb4: jerk off it
>>
File: chollenges.png (3MB, 5288x2158px) Image search: [Google]
chollenges.png
3MB, 5288x2158px
>>62031252
Do a few of these challenges.

A strong github means that you have put your free time into your own projects and enjoy doing it. this shows companies that you aren't only in it for the money and dont hae a 9-5 mentality which a lot of them want.

make sure to FINISH these projects. companies dont want people who will quit out halfway which shows a lack of motivation and dedication.

Important is also that you pick a project you actually WANT to do, not just because "it would look good on your CV / GH".
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.