[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a better OS for developers. Pro tip: You can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: nixos.png (88KB, 1183x1024px) Image search: [Google]
nixos.png
88KB, 1183x1024px
Name a better OS for developers.

Pro tip: You can't
>>
File: guixsd-logo-scaled.png (21KB, 420x375px) Image search: [Google]
guixsd-logo-scaled.png
21KB, 420x375px
Close second
>>
>>62024871
openbsd is pretty good for C devs
>>
>>62024901
> Using a ports based package manager.
>>
>>62024979
>not backing up claim
I actually do want to know why it's bad though.
>>
>>62024979
the openbsd team recommends using binary packages though

their official stance on ports is that its for devs only
>>
gentoo
>>
>>62024994
They're not functional.

With Guix, you can describe your entire system in a Scheme file. If something goes wrong you can atomically revert back to any generation you choose. You can create multiple environments and switch between them with a single command.

You don't get the same thing with non-functional package managers like ports, pacman, or apt.
>>
>>62025127
That's really cool desu. Thanks anon.
>>
>>62025038
They also think installing a web server by default is a good idea.
>>
>>62025216
wow nice goalpost

they develop their own web server which has a tiny footprint and it's disabled by default, openbsd still fits on a standard CD-ROM

why are you bitching about it
>>
>>62025237
Fitting on a CD-ROM isn't much of an achievement. Hell even some *bulky* operating systems fit on them without even intending to.

Pretty ironic considering you're bitching about 'goalposts'.
>>
>>62025298
i only brought up the CD-ROM thing as a response to you bitching about a tiny inconsequential http server
>>
>>62025340
The http server is only one tiny bad decision of many. OpenBSD is a huge clusterfuck of NIH projects because the founder can't learn to read or patch other project's code.
>>
>>62024871
>>62024883
what are these?
>>
>>62025432
NixOS and GuixSD. Operating systems based on pure-functional package managers.

I've used dozens of distros, but none nearly as good as these two.
>>
>>62025393
yeah i guess openssh was never a fork
>>
So which one is better? NixOS or GuixSD?
>>
>>62026045
GuixSD is configured in Guile (basically Scheme), contains no proprietary software, and uses Sheperd instead of systemd as the init system. It doesn't have as many packages as NixOS though.

NixOS is configured in its own custom language called Nix. It's repository, Nixpkgs is much larger than GuixSD's, and also contains proprietary software. It uses systemd as its init system.

The packages don't really matter though. You can install the Nix or Guix package manager on any Linux system and install the packages as non-root. If you use GuixSD and need some package not available, you can just install Nix and install it as a user.

It pretty much comes down to systemd+Nix vs sheperd+Scheme. It's you're choice.
>>
>>62026134
But how are the packages in the repos, in terms of quantity? Is it comparable to something like Debian or Arch's repos?
>>
>>62026180
Quantity-wise for NixOS, it's comparable to Arch. Not including the AUR.

Unlike Arch though, every single package can be customized in your system's configuration. There's also no chance of conflicts or dependency issues, as each package is in its separate directory.

It's also incredibly easy to create a Nix expression for a package once you understand the programming language.
>>
>>62024871
NixOS is truly the future, best damn thing I ever used.
>>
>still no use flags
>>
>>62026467
As someone who switched to GuixSD after 6 years of Gentoo; USE flags pale in comparison to the flexibility that this gives you.
>>
>>62026515
Just tell me I can install a system with xorg but no login manager. Is the fine tune what's worth it on Gentoo, give me that and I'm in.
>>
>>62024883
>Close second
GuixSD is better than NixOS.
>>
>>62025432
Just install the xinit package in Guix and run startx as root... Kind of trivial...

But running the xserver as root is pretty archaic, and a bad idea. It's much better to run something like lightdm without a greeter.
>>
>>62024871
Any Windows release
>>
>>62024871
nixos, but without systemd
>>
>>62028044
So GuixSD with Nix installed?
>>
>>62027277
Get the fuck out
>>
Using anything but xububtu is a fucking meme
>>
File: genera_boot.png (752KB, 640x511px) Image search: [Google]
genera_boot.png
752KB, 640x511px
>>
>>62024871
How is updating a config file to manage os packages and settings better for developers ?
I'd rather have my distro spoonfeed me with easy to use package manager and just werk so that i have more time for actual development instead of having to learn sysadmin stuff.
>>
>>62029846
then just script that like yaourt. how is that an issue?
>>
>>62029890
>yaourt
see, you're making me learn new stuff again
>>
>>62029846
Getting your setup ready on a new machine is just a matter of copying over your config file.
>>
File: value_proposition.jpg (28KB, 256x266px) Image search: [Google]
value_proposition.jpg
28KB, 256x266px
>>62030046
well shit this suddenly sounds amazing
>>
>>62024871

lulz. Systemd cuck.
Tell you what, let me help you out playa
>>
>>62026292
Oh, neat, I might look into it.

>>62026601
You can do this in like 99% of distros.
>>
>>62030223
What is that font?
>>
i like cl elisp and scheme a lot is guix a good one for me
>>
>>62024871
>>62024883
Should I continue waiting for these to mature or are they there already?

The idea seems pretty amazing.
>>
>>62030872
Tamsyn
>>
>>62031639
GuixSD needs to mature some more.
NixOS is almost there.
>>
>>62024979
>not compiling everything
>trusting anybody, even yourself
>>
Install Gentoo.
>>
Windows 7 with visual studio
Thanks bye
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.