[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey kids heading to college and wondering what laptop to get.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: mi.png (68KB, 959x630px) Image search: [Google]
mi.png
68KB, 959x630px
hey kids heading to college and wondering what laptop to get. i see you in /r/suggestalaptop desperately posting "gaming laptop under $500???":

don't get a fucking gaming laptop
don't get an overpriced macbook pro
don't get an underpowered chromebook
for god's sake don't get that piece of shit $200 hp stream

get a used 5-6 year old business laptop (thinkpad, elitebook, latitude) and don't pay more than $150 for it. trust me. put windows or linux or whatever works on there and get to work.

>but newer laptop = better than
here's mobile computing's dirty little secret: shit hasn't really improved since 2010. a mobile core laptop from 2011 will do everything you need. there are faster computers for rendering, compiling, etc, that your college will provide
also, you're young, and probably a spastic moron who will get your laptop lost, stolen, or damaged at some point in your college career. why not lose something worth $150 instead of $1500
>but muh games
college is a great time where you can choose to grow up and put childish things away, in exchange for bigger and better things. like education, self-improvement, friendship, and crushing puss. or you can play dota in your dorm room for 4 years
>but chromebooks are just as cheap and i heard you can install linux and buh duh bduhdhdubdhdu
you WILL hit a wall with chromeos. some ridiculously niche use-case will pop up in a class, like needing to use [real-ass program] instead of [bunch of javascript in a browser window that barely passes as a program], and a chromebook will not be able to do it
>but girls will think my laptop looks dumb
if you can't get laid in college it's not the thinkpad's fault
>but what about [some new laptop that's only $200 at walmart]
NO

i know you'll want to argue with me on this, because you are 18, and think you aren't an idiot, but just fucking get a used business laptop and save yourself a lot of money and headache
>>
Subscribed.
>>
>>62021258
this shit only applies to the USA because:
>buy a used x220 from the local version of ebay
>it has fucking shit battery life, barely lasts 1hr on a charge
>no replacement batteries available anywhere locally
>i'm in a shit tier ex commie country and importing a new battery means i get triple fucked in the ass by shipping costs, import taxes and retarded customs agents who are not satisfied with their higher than average salary and keep protesting all the time
>>
>>62022222
Yup. This advice doesn't apply to Europe. For example, my country Netherlands.
>>
>buy business laptop
>4 years old
>fingerprints
>keys chipped
>banged up
>viruses
>bloatware
>>make a brew to pass the time when booting this motherfucker
>cooking bacon n eggs on the heat sink
>usb torn a new one
>dead pixels
>broken vent rails
>screen flipyflops like a mofo
>dusty as f
>grimy as f
>food, mould, and hair spotted between the keys and speakers
>headphone and microphone jacks on the fucking front
>heavy
>bulky
>win vista

A deep clean and full factory restoration seems hopeless at this point. It'll do for my nan.
>>
>>62021258
I got a Lenovo Yoga 710 for my second year of college as a CS major did I fuck up?
>>
>>62021258
>the only laptops that exist are thinkpads, chromebooks, and gaymurr laptops
fuck off OP, I don't want to buy your used cum-encrusted paperweight
>>
>buy business laptop meme
>no girl would want to fuck you ever
>>
>>62021258
Macbook pro is objectively the best computer to get if you are a serious career programmer
>>
>>62022222
sorry about your dishrag country

>>62022456
sorry about your inhuman superpower of being able to subconsciously pick out the most busted-ass laptop available

>>62022513
yes, but you already have it, so use it until it breaks or gets stolen, then get an old latitude or something

>>62022539
>if you can't get laid in college it's not the thinkpad's fault

>>62022555
buy whatever dumb laptop you want after landing a real grownup job, learn on something inexpensive and functional
>>
>>62022456
and this would be why you buy from a reputable dealer and not ebay. newegg/amazon/pretty much all major electronic shopping sites, have a refurbished selection they come with a short warranty, a fresh install of windows or no os, and you can get someting with an iseries processor for around two hundred us, just pay attention to the grade listing, a is pristine, b is normal wear, c is a bit banged up and maybe a scratch on the screen but still functional.
>>
Just bought a Thinkpad X240 for maybe too many Mongol Euros but still an OK deal I guess when considered it's EU.
>>
>>62022865
nah, my company were flogging them off for like £50 to help buy in newer ones.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.