[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I gotta say, why the hate against gaming laptops? Anecdotal shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

File: gaminglaptop.jpg (104KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
gaminglaptop.jpg
104KB, 775x500px
I gotta say, why the hate against gaming laptops? Anecdotal shit coming in

>brother wants me to bring up my gaymen PC on vacation so he can meet us and bring his Rift to show us VR
>right before we meet, he says nevermind and he found a solution
>he bought a Razer laptop with a gtx1060 and an i7
>no problem running Rift games/apps
>sounds like a jet engine under load, but whatever

I expected it to catch fire, but it never once started acting buggy. So why does /g/ hate them so much?
>>
For laptops it's less about the performance and more about how the wear and tear of lugging them around will affect them in the long run.

Most cheaply made ones will fail in … interesting ways after a while.
>>
>>61993317
Because they would rather spend the same money on a better desktop and a business grade laptop such as an elitebook or thinkpad.
>>
>>61993381
>elitebook
you misspelled latitude
>>
>>61993317

The Razer laptops are one of the exceedingly few notable exceptions.

99% are a dumpster fire.
>>
File: 9.51.png (2KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
9.51.png
2KB, 240x240px
If you wanna buy them for occasions when you wanna play somewhere else then that's fine if you have the money, but people that use them as their main computer are in for trouble many times. Not saying they will all break down, but the stress during gaming is significant and many will thermal throttle, which means they are at the maximum temps implemented by the chip manufacturer.
Also, sometimes they have drivers for shit that won't ever be updated becase "HEY WE JUST RELEASED A NEW ONE, BUY THAT INSTEAD FUCKFACE".
Also the designs are atrocious, even the clean looking razers look ugly to me still.
>>
>>61993381

why not just buy a gaming laptop and spend the money on a monitor/keyboard/mouse?
>>
>>61993317
The ones worth a shit and that will actually live beyond 3 years are WAY overpriced.

A friend of mine bought one of those "budget" Y series lenovo laptops and after 2.5 years the keyboard is giving out and it overheats like crazy. With gaming shit you need to be able to interchange parts because of the load the user puts on practically everything.

They are just not worth it unless you make so much money that it isn't an object to you.
>>
1.) They constantly thermal and TDP throttle so performance will never be anything like a desktop

2.) A slim mini ITX build can be done for less money and still be portable enough to carry in your backback.

3.) You can't upgrade shit.

Anyway unless you're physically and mentally retarded there's no point in getting a gaming laptop.
>>
>>61993442
>The ones worth a shit and that will actually live beyond 3 years are WAY overpriced.

honestly who keeps the same laptop for more than 3 years?

gaming laptops aren't even expensive anymore. there are lots of "PC Gamers" that care more about resolution, fps and draw dsitance than actually having fun playing games. it's a really faggoty mentality imo, I had a blast playing Unreal Tournament back in my gamer days with settings all turned down bc my computer sucked. didn't care at all.

i actually use a gaming laptop but I didn't overpay at all, convenience has a price and like I sit on a desktop 40 something hours a week at work so stay mad that I can play Overwatch in bed /g/
>>
File: 1495777236851.png (195KB, 417x578px) Image search: [Google]
1495777236851.png
195KB, 417x578px
>>61993317
Play more than 3 hours.
>>
>>61993317
I always read that people get gaming laptops so they play games while they travel for work. I don't know who the hell would do this when you can just play a simpler game with hours worth of gameplay that can also run on just about anything.
>>
>>61993317
They are getting better, both in terms of price and overall quality. They will eventually surpass DIY PCs in all aspects.

About that razer laptop... in about a year it's going to fry itself to death. It might look pretty, but the heat management on those things is awful. They don't last.
>>
>gaming laptop
>not having a normal business-class laptop with an eGPU
>>
>>61993317
For me, its mostly aesthetics. I woudn't take a gay looking gaming laptop out in public anywhere, much better to keep a desktop at home.
>>
I have the MSI GE62VR and I really like it. Work sends me away for weeks at a time frequently and with an i7 6700 and gtx 1060 I never feel like I can't play something. It looks like a normal laptop once I turn off the RGB keyboard as well.

It makes sense for people that have to work away from home. It is just a backup as my desktop has a 4k monitor for playing games in 4k. I cannot do that on the go away from home but I can at least play great looking games comfortably at 1080p.

If you can afford both than there is no problem..just kids complaining about price.
>>
>>61993317
It's not going to catch fire immediately. It's been said already but that thing is going to throttle hard in maybe a year or two of daily gameplay of modern-ish games and you're gonna come onto this board in a year or two's time saying "hey guys, my old and beat-up toaster of a laptop isn't working anymore, can you tell me how to fix it?" and everyone will go "I told you so".

I had a gaming laptop years ago and I also ran into the issue >>61993435 specified where the company will drop support for that specific model like a rock because they want you to buy the newest one. You don't want to end up like >>61993678 trying to rationalize throwing away money for laptop after laptop and stuttering out "y-y-you guys a-are j-jus JELLY i'm ~comfy~, stay m-mad!" That's the point where you can start counting the number of proper chairs you could have purchased instead.

>>61993880
Eh, to each his own. At that point I'd rather have an ITX case I take around with me.
>>
>>61993436
Jack of all trades vs. the best tools for the job.
>>
>>61993917
Clevo/Sagar laptops are actually decent(?) for avoiding the gaymer aesthetic. I've been considering getting their 13" laptop. Their less expensive 15" laptops are borderline gaymer but look mostly acceptable.
>>
>>61993317
Because you can get a T420 for $150 instead and use an expresscard adapter to attach a GPU for a much cheaper portable setup
>>
File: lenovo-thinkpad-p51-004[1].jpg (61KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
lenovo-thinkpad-p51-004[1].jpg
61KB, 775x500px
>>61993317
Because you can buy a Thinkpad P51 instead and not look like a faggot with it out in public
>>
>>61993358
>interesting ways after a while.
Such as?
>>
>>61993654
>1.) They constantly thermal and TDP throttle so performance will never be anything like a desktop
The only way to get good performance is using your charger because without it, you're gayming laptop starts throttling your games and the battery goes poo poo.
>>
>>61994367
That won't stop TDP limits hardwired into your motherboard. Most gaymen laptops have TDP limits of 35-45W for BOTH the CPU and GPU. You're pretty much guaranteed to have frequency throttling no matter how much L2N you douse your laptop in.
>>
>>61994355
random bits of hardware stop working correctly. For example, I ended up with a line on the screen of my gaymen laptop because the lid touched the palmrest when it was closed.
>>
>>61993678
I've been using the same thinkpad for almost a decade my dude. Still does everything I need for daily computing. For gaymen and art, I have a desktop.
>>
Buying gaming machines for the vast majority of people means bang for buck. With gaming laptops most of the bang just goes into packing shit into a small form factor. This requires R&D and more design and shit to compensate. When you buy standard PC shit, there's none of that, so your money goes further to the Fpees. Gaming laptops have also, until recently been much shitter than PC gaming PCs with similar specs, due to thermal constraints and power constraints.
>>
>>61993678
>honestly who keeps the same laptop for more than 3 years?

Wow. I do not even know what to say.
>>
File: laptops.png (94KB, 925x2497px) Image search: [Google]
laptops.png
94KB, 925x2497px
>>
File: ASUS_G750.jpg (157KB, 1200x727px) Image search: [Google]
ASUS_G750.jpg
157KB, 1200x727px
I bought an ASUS G750 three years ago and it still runs perfectly. About a year ago I upgraded my boot drive to an SSD and it's fast as fuck. It's heavy as shit and has two huge air vents in the back so it never gets very hot. I've lugged it to school and have used it in public many times and it has never failed me. Even all the LEDs on the backlit keyboard still work. The screen isn't the best and has some light-bleed, but there are still no dead pixels. The battery is starting to degrade at this point, but it is easily removable. I'll probably replace the battery and upgrade the RAM to 16GB and continue using it til it breaks.

>>61993917
>>61994336
>giving a fuck about being seen in public with x laptop

I don't hesitate to take my laptop to any public location, why would you give a shit about what some stranger thinks of your computer?
>>
>>61994771
>ASUS G750
I bought this one in 2014 as well and I have to recommend it for its sturdiness.

Dog peed on it barely 6 months after I acquired it AND it remained turned on for 3 hours after this because I was sleeping and didn't notice. I just had to clean it and dry it. Only the keyboard suffered damage (easily fixed with an external keyboard). The motherboard is still working perfectly.

And that's not all. After the pee incident happened I was pissed off for several weeks and in an attack of rage I punched the computer really hard and busted a RAM stick but nothing else broke.

And after a year the charger fucking died (the charger is the only real problem with this laptop, I've read from other people that theirs also failed after a year) and the battery has survived 3 years of a shitty generic under ampered charger and also wrongly wired when it broke down and I attempted to solder it without checking the correct wiring first.

9/10 laptop right here. Only problem is that I have to move with an external keyboard and mouse now so it became pretty heavy. Also great under GNU/Linux. I barely use it for gaymes.
>>
>>61994881
I forgot to mention that it has a hardware power button. GOD BLESS for this.
>>
>>61994893
I can't think of a single laptop that doesn't
>>
>>61994771
The P51 is also a lot smaller and easier to shove into your bag than that fucking monstrosity

P51 also has two vents in the back
>>
>>61994881
>I barely use it for gaymes.
Literally why the fuck do you have it then??

You can get a laptop that is even more durable that is not 9 fucking pounds
>>
>>61994771
What's the battery life of that thing? Like 2-3 hours?
>>
>>61993317
"Computers? haha, anything but games is boring."

"I only use PCs for games"

Brainlets
>>
>>61994747
>ignore this person because he seems to be under the impression that the main selling point of a laptop is performance, not portability
Gaming laptop manufacturers seem to be under that impression as well, so that argument is gone.
>>
>>61994584
>Buying gaming machines for the vast majority of people means bang for buck
But that's one of the things gaming laptops are worst at
>>
>>61993732
This
Doom 2 runs on any laptop
There is no need for anything else with the amount of content out there for Doom 2
>>
>>61993317
They're huge and fucking heavy, hot as fuck, and have horrible battery life

Basically they're the worst at anything that makes laptops nice
>>
File: 1478039649582.jpg (7KB, 267x323px) Image search: [Google]
1478039649582.jpg
7KB, 267x323px
>>61994881
>I barely use it for gaymes.
>>
>>61993317
>gayming
That's why.
If you are over the age of 16 and still play gaymez, specifically alone in a dark room, you are what's wrong with society.
Please fix it by killing your self
>>
>>61993317
/g/ hates everything they can't afford
>>
>>61993678
>faggoty attitude
Not all of us have $400 gaming setups. Now go back to overwatch or whatever it is kids play nowadays
>>
>>61994771
ASUS G75x series is fucking godlike, only gaming laptop I'd ever buy if I'd need one
>>
>>61995865
what exactly is wrong with videogames?
>>
File: ASUS_G750_Battery.jpg (334KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ASUS_G750_Battery.jpg
334KB, 1800x1200px
>>61995349
Closer to 4 hours with moderate usage (I don't game unless it's plugged in), which is still shit, but I never expected great battery life from this laptop. The battery is also starting to lose capacity after 3 years. It's usually a non-issue because there's usually an outlet nearby if I'm somewhere in public that has wifi.
>>
>>61995999
Have you tried throttling your CPU/GPU?
>>
>>61993418
You misspelled XPS
>>
it's way better to have an itx case instead
>>
>>61996066
XPS is god emperor tier
>>
>>61994336
>thinking having a chinkpad doesnt make you look like a fagget
>>
It's better to play old games and have a cheap but comfortable and ergonomic desktop to play games when the time is right than to be a sperg who needs to spend dollars and dollars to fuel his gaming addiction for AAA games which are shit anyway.
>>
>>61994336
>caring about what others think
My beta-meter is off the charts.
>>
>>61994336
>he thinks normies have any opinions positive or negative about specific laptops

Autism.
>>
>>61995999
>if I'm somewhere in public that has wifi.
you (probably) have a smartphone
Smartphones have LTE and hotspots
so everywhere in public has wifi.
>>
>>61993317
My Toshiba laptop is still going after 6 years, played modded Skyrim/New Vegas for 1500 hours on it in 2011-2015, plus many hours on other games. I only had to change the hard drives, temps haven't gone any higher than usual.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.