[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Haskell a meme language or actually worth learning?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg (33KB, 800x247px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg
33KB, 800x247px
Is Haskell a meme language or actually worth learning?
>>
It's worth learning for academic purposes. I learned recursion much more easily through Haskell
>>
It has some uses and is interesting as a learning tool. Some of its features are solutions looking for problems though.
>>
>>61980246
meme language of you want a job. it would be fine to learn just for fun though
>>
>>61980246
best language ever
>>
something something smart people use it
>>
>>61980246
>Is Haskell a meme language
yes
>actually worth learning?
yes
>>
>Is Haskell a meme language
no
>actually worth learning?
no*

*basically if you didn't teach it to yourself before the age of 20 like some kind of autistic savant you are already way too behind the curve to even bother. it has its uses in extremely high performance computing but 99% of the work you will do as an average developer will require you to work as a team with other average-level developers, and working on legacy code, and banging out quick solutions wherein "just werking" is a much higher priority than shaving clock cycles. imperative programming is much better tailored to all three of these scenarios.
>>
>>61982172
What are those jobs that don't require me to work with average developers?
>>
>>61982241

developing extremely fast number crunching algorithms for research institutions with acronyms like NASA, ESA, MIT, IBM, etc.

you have to hit the point where your time is actually more valuable than theirs and despite what most autistic pompous codemonkeys at /g/ think, chances are you are not at that level.
>>
>>61982280
I study at MIT, fight me
>>
>>61982102
this desu
>>
>>61982172
>if you didn't teach it to yourself before the age of 20 like some kind of autistic savant you are already way too behind the curve to even bother
I did this but I'm a "125"iq brainlet
>>
>>61980246

LISTEN NIGGER HAVE YOU MADE A INTERRUPT ROUTINE IN HASKELL!? THATS RIGHT YOU HAVENT BECAUSE YOURE A FAGGOT
>>
>>61982510
Prove it.
>>
>>61980246
>Haskell a meme?
Yes
>Actually worth learning
Yes

It allows one to think about coding differently than the average programmers, and when you've actually gotten above the learning curve, developing applications with it is just a breeze.
>>
>>61980246
Learn Topology,abstract algebra and Category theory.
>>
>>61980246
It is both. It is a meme as "the hardest language ever!!1 for math majors only!", etc., but it is also genuinely useful. First, Haskell lets you write the sort of programs that fashionable people write in Node.js and Go in fewer lines of code and with better correctness guarantees from the compiler. Second, learning it will likely make you a better programmer because you will get used to thinking about side effects and will consciously minimize your use of them.

One problem with Haskell is that it is old and its designers made some bad decisions before anyone really knew better. The result is bad function and type names, types that could been more general, and a pretty bad standard library, which in turn leads to things like a dozen different string types to replace the crappy standard strings. It is too late to fully fix Haskell, which is why I hope Idris succeeds so much it replaces Haskell. Idris simplifies the hell out of Haskell's type system with dependent types and fixes its old design mistakes. It is even strict.
>>
>>61982510

>study at
>get paid to write software for

the fact that you are unable to distinguish between these two things is not a good sign for you
>>
>>61980428
elaborate
What do you mean by "learned" recursion?
I "learned" recursion by reading the dictionary definition of it.
>>
>>61982280
Fast numerics number crunching algorithms aren't written in Haskell. Haskell gives you too little control over memory to be particularly good at it.

The main thing Haskell is really good for is metaprogramming. You can easily implement domain-specific languages that your Haskell program can translate into fast C code or some platform specific low-level code like CUDA or an FPGA circuit. Haskell and ML family languages are amazingly good for quick and dirty compilers.
>>
>>61982102
yep
>>
>>61980246
If you don't have any reason to use a specific type of functional language then shortcut to F# and thank me later.
>>
>>61980246
Its sorta like being into betamax or investing in hd-dvds
>>
>>61982172
>if you didn't teach it to yourself before the age of 20 like some kind of autistic savant you are already way too behind the curve to even bother
Sometimes I really wonder what goes on in the minds of people who write stuff like this. Are they just higher-level trolls who have somehow survived on nu-/g/? Are they giving what they think is useful advice based on second hand information? It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Also,
>extremely high performance computing
>not Fortran and C++
>>
>>61984470
Stack frames and tail call optimization, for starters.
>>
>>61980246
The 5-min way to check if Haskell is for you is to read something like this: https://ro-che.info/articles/2013-01-08-torsors

If you're a decent programmer with a penchant for mathematics then you'll get a lot out of Haskell.

>>61982172
>>61985705
The only type of high performance computing functional languages are suited for is server backend programming (Elixir/Erlang).

I tried to write a Clojure program for my field (simulations) just for fun. It was interesting but nowhere near practical. In actual HPC you need mutable data structures and more practical approaches to concurrency (like MPI).
>>
I program in C and Haskell mainly, and Haskell is actually pretty fast. It beats C in 90% of the benchmarks I do, both in terms of speed and memory footprint.

As a slightly memey example, my Haskell fizz buzz was literally 3x as fast as my C fizz buzz, and I consider myself pretty good at C programming.
>>
>>61986874
Elixir/Erlang aren't high-perf. They're notoriously slow (on par with Python/Ruby).
>>
>>61985283
>shortcut to F# and thank me later
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15028045
>>
>>61986912
>my Haskell fizz buzz was literally 3x as fast as my C fizz buzz
How do you even time stuff like that? Do you make it run for extremely high numbers?
>>
>>61986948
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant is that FP is good for more scalable performance (e.g. Discord, Twitter) than high performance in the number-crunching sense.

Yeah, BEAM is really bad at math.
>>
>>61987010
There hope.
https://www.sics.se/projects/beamjit
>>
>>61980246
Haskell is a meme. Common Lisp, Scheme and OCaml are all superior choices if you want a language with good FP support.
>>
>>61984431
He is probably a dumb nigger who got admitted because of affirmative action. Further proof that "top universities" are a hoax.
>>
>>61986734
Learning assembly will make you understand what's happening under the hood far better than any high level language ever will. Yes, even recursion.
>>
>>61986912
>he thinks a fizzbizz benchmark is worth anything
>>
>>61987356
You're misunderstanding. Assembly will only teach a programmer how hardware works, which any good programmer will already know.

Functional programming is a foray into mathematics and theoretical computer science. Assembly can't teach you anything about category theory, number theory, type theory, macros, STM, et cetera.
>>
What does Haskell have over Lisp or OCaml?
>>
>>61988561
Better memes
Monads
>>
>>61988561
Lisp: better type system
Ocaml: an actual community, better multithreading support
>>
>>61987249
Don't forget the Erlang family.
>>
>>61984202
I haven't been able to finish reading lyah even though I'm peeping at it at job. It is so fucking dense I'm probably never going to end it.
Should I learn Idris instead?
>>
>>61988026
>Any good programmer will already know
Very few programmers have any idea how shit actually works. If you need true high perf you still need to use C/C++ and know what you're doing, which means knowing all the magic and hacks that make a modern CPU tick.
>>
>>61980246
It's a meme, you should learn functional programming to supplement your education but please don't actually make software with this shit
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.