[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello. I'm new to Linux and it's distros and I was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: ScreenShot_20170521155632.png (142KB, 433x443px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot_20170521155632.png
142KB, 433x443px
Hello. I'm new to Linux and it's distros and I was wondering which distro is good for beginners but also functional and somewhat good looking.
>>
>>61971885
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
>>
>>61971885
Cinnamon mint.
This is common knowledge.
>>
>>61971895
Do you want people to jew out or join your club?
>>
gentoo
>>
>>61972200
Not op but. What are the advantages of cinnamon mint vs zorin os
>>
>>61971885
Ubuntu Gnome (addons)
KDE Neon
Manjaro KDE.
Anything with a bloat desktop like GNOME and KDE is foolproof. I hear KDE Neon is basically unbreakable and I'll follow up with a screenshot from my Debian/KDE
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-08-18_18-24-40.png (769KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-08-18_18-24-40.png
769KB, 1366x768px
>>61972474
>>61971885
bingo
>>
I've started with Linux Mint and it just works.
I've also installed Ubuntu 16.04 for my mother to use in her laptop, she's a total noob when it comes to computers, and she uses it just fine.
ps:Consider Ubuntu Mate if you've got older hardware.
>>
>>61972474
I fucked up KDE by changing the fonts, the font size, and the menu thing. All in the first 10 minutes. Buggy as hell.
>>
>>61971885
ZorinOS, ZorinOS Lite, Solus, OpenSUSE with KDE, Ubuntu GNOME
Avoid these DEs: MATE, LXDE, Unity

>>61972400
Mint devs are cinnamon devs so cinnamon is usually better on it. Plus, ZorinOS was kinda slow last time I used it but this was back when Zorin DE 2 was released so they might have improved it. Though it's Lite edition (xfce) is pretty light and very responsive (uses around 500MB idle).

>>61972474
I've used KDE Neon for months. It's very unstable. It crashes on a weekly basis. And yes, I was using the "stable version". Worst thing is the fact that the crash logs are considered useless by the crash reporter so I couldn't even give feedback. It's NOT a good daily distro and should be avoided unless you're actively involved with the development of KDE.
>>
File: screenfetch-taeyeon-2017-08.png (11KB, 1218x333px) Image search: [Google]
screenfetch-taeyeon-2017-08.png
11KB, 1218x333px
>>61971885
It quite frankly doesn't matter that much.

If you're going to install GNU/Linux anyway then you might as well try them all. Seriously.

Install Ubuntu and use it for a week. Save your stuff to a USB stick or something this test-period. Then install Linux Mint and check it out for a week and switch to Fedora the week after that.

If you find that you like GNU/Linux in general then it doesn't really matter which distribution you use - but you may find that you prefer one of them.

It may seem like a complete waste of time to use several different OSes over the period of a month - but consider this: You'll probably be (ab)using it for years and years. Spending some time checking out the alternatives is probably worth the time.

NOW here is something you should know about GNU/Linux distributions, btw. There are several Desktop systems available for each distribution. The most common ones are KDE, GNOME and XFCE. There are others. You can switch between these on all distributions, so which desktop you like is also something you should try out (XFCE is the obvious choice).
>>
>>61972722
Works on my machine TM
>>61972833
Well I switch back and forth between KDE and Xfce. I can't recommend anything else. Debian/Ubuntu are the only hassle-free distros I've used. Maybe Arch with yaourt as well.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.