[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Google hate thread What everyday google services have you euthonised/replaced?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: received_1780112512003850.jpg (69KB, 540x644px) Image search: [Google]
received_1780112512003850.jpg
69KB, 540x644px
Google hate thread

What everyday google services have you euthonised/replaced?

Youtube - ublocked on pc and iYTBP'd on android
Google drive - dropbox
Chrome - mozilla
Search - duckduckgo

Now i'm just not sure what to replace maps with since it gets me around the city so consistently idk what else to even try that would bring better quality
>>
>>61947975
>on android

kyss muh niqqa, dial up mustard reporting

replaced g+ with facebook
>>
>>61948052
Using a custom rom, i dont really need any google services
>>
>>61947975

I replaced:

Google Play services for F-droid on LineageOS
Calender and contacts for nextcloud
Maps for osmand~
Chrome for Palemoon
Also search for duckduckgo

Probably some other shit I forgot about.
>>
>>61948070
my nigga
>>
What do you replace gmail with?
>>
>>61947975
if you dumbfucks are using an android there's like a 75% chance it's "botnet" out the box.
if you dumbfucks are using an iphone there's a 100% chance it's "botnet" out the box.
Stop w/ this google "botnet" meme ignorance
>>
sometimes I'm p convinced most posters here have no idea the actual workings of the internet.
they just meme their way thru /g
>>
>>61948070
he thinks using a custom rom and that if there are no Google services that everything he does is sekrit!
>>
>>61948215
So i shoul use my nokia 3310 and live in the stone age
>>
>>61948262
No he never claimed that. Learn to read.
>>
>>61948266
Learn to extrapolate, the only reason anybody dives away from Google is to escape "the botnet," also
>he thinks having no Google services installed means Google still isn't profiting off him
>>
>>61948262
It means my battery lasts longer and i can use my phone to shitpost for longer periods of time
>>
>>61948289
fuck you, fair enough
>>
>>61948263
no you should understand that the use of mobile phone service these days comes with this agreement. I choose to support the EFF for change instead of waste time shitposting abt botnets that I obvs don't quite understand
>>
>>61948338
stop thinking logically you fucking adult, get off my gee REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
3 month old news you illiterate fucks
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/android-malware-phones-infected-samsung-galalaxy-s7-nexus-5x-models-before-sale-a7626726.html
>>
>>61947975
Use Brave. Mozilla is a terrible company too. Read about Brendan Eich.
>>
>>61948338
>support the EFF

eff is literal cancer, look up their financial statements, they only care about themselves

>>61948263
classic phones are the patrician choice, unless you mean the new cancer 3310. Insane battery life, ~no botnet, no cancer app distraction.
>>
>>61948413
But you cant shitpost on a bus with it
>>
>>61948378
brave lost me instantly on the micropayment nonsense, pale moon is great, the only counter argument is hurr furries
>>
>>61948413
I don't know anything of their financial dealings, any sources that I might not find on my own?
>>
>>61948427
exactly, we need less shitposting in our lives
>>
>>61948440
they have their statements up their site, tldr pretty similar to Wikipedia

>they are for profit company
>begging for donations all the time
>salaries and benefits are growing like no tomorrow with stable headcount
>rest is siphoned through 'administrative costs'
>revenue is like 2x of their expediture

at this point EFF only concern is to exist and beg for gibs, they shit all over your supposed rights. I mean sure, 5% of your donations might go to a good cause, rest is used as investment for effers to get even fatter. Whether it is a good trade is up to you.
>>
>>61948507
their programs are like more eff fundraising with an occasional blog post about bad sopa, tpp and pipa, then back to business
>>
>>61948507
that sounds a lot like the issues with universities actually rn. I'll view their site next break and re-access. Unfortunately I'm not sure of another way to fight the corporate weight on the infrastructure of the web outside of bureaucracy like eff
>>
>>61948378
Brave is shit on desktop. Keeps freezing when focusing on url bar or bookmarks
>>
>>61947975
YouTube: uBlock'd
Chrome: Vivaldi
Google Maps: Apple Maps
Search: DDG (but DDG is so shit I often need to use google anyway to find what I'm looking for). Anyone know a better alternative?
I'm still using gmail, what's the best replacement?
>>
Do you think using Chromium with uBlock Origin and not logging into google is enough? Forks are lagging behind, and I want the newest release.

Other things:
Google Drive -> nothing, I mostly put things into cloud storage to store them for a long time, rsync is the way I sync data across computers now
Search -> ddg
YT -> I'm avoiding it at the moment. I'd have to dump my list of subscriptions and have a feed of them to really use it.
>>
>>61947975
>>61948127
>>61948690
>>61948730
Looks like a lot of DDG, how does it compare to startpage?
>>
>>61948579
agreed, this is a sad state of affairs they are the best on offer. Look up the numbers to decide for yourself though. I decided I can utilize my money more effectively to do good in the world (same goes for wikipedia) than donating to EFF
>>
File: startpage.png (22KB, 501x202px) Image search: [Google]
startpage.png
22KB, 501x202px
>>61948768
>startpage
Enjoy your Google search results. Can't wait for them to start replacing actual results with content they agree with, just like the jigsaw redirect method.

DDG doesn't seem to be as decent as Google is when it comes to typos, and it seems that I have to reword my queries more often than I needed with Google.
>>
Duck go go is fucking based!
>>
Reminder that if you were to block all google subnets, the web would be nearly unusable.

This is the current state of the internet. Majority of websites directly depend on the use of google servers.
>>
>>61948811
Well, Google is number one, it's just the privacy sucks, so if I can have googles money/power/servers etc but not lose my privacy... Just seems most of the lesser known searches suck for a reason and you don't get results. also, any truth in any of this?

We recommend that you don't use DuckDuckGo if you seek a search engine that values your privacy. There's no confirmed proof that DuckDuckGo is violating your privacy, but there are some very suspicious things, however, that make certain other search engines far superior in that regard.
Gabriel Weinberg, the founder of DuckDuckGo, used to run the Names Database.[1] This was a website that aimed to connect people who had lost contact by gathering lots and lots of e-mail addresses. Getting access could be done by either paying money, or submitting lots of e-mail addresses of other people. Since the service revolved around gathering personal information, it is very suspicious for Gabriel Weinberg to start a business that is privacy-oriented. [2]

DuckDuckGo used to set a tracking cookie, even though they claimed they didn't. This was done by a third party they cooperate with, which means that it wasn't necessarily intentional, but if it's unintentional, it shows a worrying lack of care.[3]

DuckDuckGo is based in the US. This makes it really easy for the NSA to compromise it. If it were based in the EU, for example, the NSA wouldn't have the legal power to force them to log everything without telling anyone. This wouldn't guarantee privacy, but it would make it a lot more plausible. Instead, they're based in the US, which means that the NSA can do whatever they want with them. There are secure search engines that are not based in the US.[3]
>>
>>61948975
majority of the web is useless shit, coincidence?
>>
>>61949408
>if you seek a search engine that values your privacy
At this moment I care more about it not being google than respecting my privacy. And I'm worried that google might start replacing results for certain queries with whatever they consider to be truth.
>>
>>61947975
>dropbox
a verified NSA honeypot
kys
>>
>>61948215
>owning a phone
end yourself
>>
>>61948215

its the opposite
100% botnet for android
and
75% botnet for iphone
>>
>>61949491
Ok, I can def get this.I have seen some suspicious results that seem more biased. I will give it a shot and see if it's too crippled.
>>
>>61948179
It's too good
>>
anyone here using microg?
I'm having issues with the logon to the play store.
GCM is fine 'tho
>>
should I replace Chrome if I am using a VPN?
>>
>>61950191
you shouldn't tie your choice of replacing chrome to your sexual preferences.
just do it
>>
>>61948262
>What is CopperheadOS
>>
>>61949411
you don't quite understand what was being pointed out...
>>
>>61948262
Most open-source custom roms do not come with Google services and are installed separately.
>>
>>61953034
That's what I thought as well, as long as you avoid accidentaly flashing gapps, shouldn't you be fine staying off the botnet?
>>
>>61949408
Then what search engine do I use? It was the one recommended in the cyber security general
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.