[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well is she right /g/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: unnamed.gif (75KB, 640x240px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
75KB, 640x240px
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/coding-for-kids-another-silly-fad/article35982667/
>>
>>61930481
Not everyone has the mathematical inclination to be a successful programmer, and trying to push people towards it is nonsensical. In a free society people flow to where their desires lead them.
This is no different from trying to make every child into a concert pianist, or realist painter. Whatever genetic component may contribute to these crafts, clearly not everyone has it, and not everyone is of the mindset to enjoy the work.

The sentiment of coding jobs disappearing in the future might hold some real validity as well. One thing is for sure and thats that there will be an inevitable bubble in the industry for code monkeys. India is churning out tens of thousands of hack job programmers per year, and right now western born peers are drops in a bucket competing for the same jobs.
>>
File: image(2).png (310KB, 622x353px) Image search: [Google]
image(2).png
310KB, 622x353px
>>61930562
>get tasked with bringing a CS major fresh off the boat from India up to speed with Jira and Selenium
>doesn't know what a command line is
>gets fired a few weeks in for shitting in a bucket in a janitor closet
I'm honestly not too worried.
>>
>>61930562
>you need math to program
well meme'd
>>
>>61930658
You need an understanding of mathematics if you want to do anything more than copypaste javascript and cobble together web pages. Math, logic, and programming are inseparably related.
>>
>>61930676
you only need to know how to use google and stackoverflow these days
>>
>>61930676
Explain to me what math is needed to write a kernel.
>>
>>61930707
Explain to me how you can write any complex function whatsoever by only understanding syntax and not the logic behind them.
>>
>>61930729
>math is logic
Nice moving goalposts
>>
>>61930738
>learning logic without understanding math
You're the one moving goalposts here
>>
>>61930745
Which formal branch of mathematics is required for basic logical reasoning?
>>
>>61930753
This isn't "basic logical reasoning."
Have you ever taken a logic course?
>>
>>61930787
I haven't, and I'm a programmer who contributes to clang.
>>
>>61930805
You can't even get into deep CS in a university without going through some cursory watered down logic material. If you failed algebra you're not going to make for a happy programmer.
>I contribute to clang
Dozens of people could claim the same thing, while doing nothing but submitting pointless personal issues and injecting politics into everything. This isn't a pissing contest.
>>
>>61930874
>watered down logic material
Wow, understanding if statements is now advanced mathematics!
>>
>>61930889
Logic is not "understanding of statements." I can't believe I'm even replying at this point.
Have a great day.
>>
>>61930874
>If you failed algebra you're not going to make for a happy programmer.
>>
>>61930904
>t. unemployed math major needing to justify his PhD in boolean algebra
>>
>>61930645
>>gets fired a few weeks in for shitting in a bucket in a janitor closet

The guy's trying. Bucket is big step, sir. Next step is loo, sir.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.