[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just moved to a new house and I've been fucking depressed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 61juRoAWPyL._SL1500_.jpg (110KB, 1500x1080px) Image search: [Google]
61juRoAWPyL._SL1500_.jpg
110KB, 1500x1080px
I just moved to a new house and I've been fucking depressed because, due to my living situation, the router is out of wireless range and I can't wire an ethernet cable across the house because it would interfere with the other tenants. I've been leeching off of my neighbor's shitty internet trying to figure out a solution. I was considering getting my own internet plan for like $70 a month.

Doing my research, I JUST now learned that you can spread the internet through a house's power grid? What the fuck? I feel like I just discovered a fucking unicorn. How has nobody told me about something like this until now?
>>
You didn't ask?
>>
>>61912517
1: why can't you just fucking get an extender and talk to your bunkmates like a normal fucking human so they don't just tear it out
2: yeah it's a thing but I think it can be costly
>>
>>61912517
It has been quite popular on /g/ and in every network thread in at least 5 years now.
Lurk more
>>
>>61912517
>internet through a house's power grid
How would that not be connected to the entire power grid?
>>
I did this as a kid in my parents gigantic 3 story house. A google search tells me the name of what you're looking for is 'wifi extender'. yw
>>
>>61912539
Things like these are like $40 on amazon with prime, I consider that pretty damn affordable, not counting the initial cost of setting up an internet network.

Also I'm now living in a spare room of a very nice house of an older couple who house international students. The house is nice and cords are unsightly, I usually just wire it normally but that doesn't work as a solution all the time.

>>61912540
I should have lurked /g/ more, you're absolutely right. I don't even have ubuntu, is there any hope for me?
>>
I'm a bit confused as to how it's supposed to work, just intuitively it feels like you're breaking something, like using water pipes to transport gas or whatever
>>
>>61912587
I found this out because I was on the phone with some shill from Cox and they were telling me that the "only" way I could extend my wifi was if I had a compatible Cox modem and used a wifi extender which only worked with one of their modems, and it was only available as a rental. Fuck those guys so hard (FCC if you're reading this I'm just kidding please don't kill me)
>>
>>61912592
>Also I'm now living in a spare room of a very nice house of an older couple who house international students. The house is nice and cords are unsightly, I usually just wire it normally but that doesn't work as a solution all the time.
An extender is cordless, you just plug it into the wall and set it up
>>
>>61912517
just to let you know, it won't work across transformers or separate circuits. so if they have the renters on their own meter, it won't work.
>>
>>61912610
Oh fuck I think I misread that, I thought you were suggesting just putting in a long-ass ethernet cable, thereby "extending" the internet.

I should really be smarter as someone who uses computers all the time.

Also yes, I'm going to do it with the wall outlets anyways. Thanks.
>>
>>61912628
This is what I'm worried about but I think it'll be fine, I can just return it if it doesn't work. Why would a house be set up like that anyways? To prevent outages or something?
>>
>>61912564
Transformers would disrupt the signal
>>
>>61913379
This, they get effected by power strips.

These aren't the magical unicorn you're hoping for, but it may be worth it to test.

If you don't like em then buying your plan would be enough.
>>
>>61912604
AC goes back and forth in a smooth sinusoidal curve. lan over power adds a bit of noise which can be interpreted.
>>
Power line networking sucks. Your coax lines will work, though. Do you have cable tv? If so, and you want to use tv and data on the same link, use moca adapters. Moca is pricey, but you can get up to gigabit. If you have satellite, you can use deca. Deca is super cheap at $10 per adapter, but will only do 100mb/s.

If you don't have any cable tv, you can use either technology. Either will be more reliable and provide better throughout than powerline.

I would go deca if you don't have cable tv.
>>
File: HTB1jOGnJFXXXXXvXFXXq6xXFXXXJ.jpg (188KB, 699x792px) Image search: [Google]
HTB1jOGnJFXXXXXvXFXXq6xXFXXXJ.jpg
188KB, 699x792px
>>61913419
here's the visualization, which of course is wrong but you get the idea.
>>
>>61912517
If the house still has the wiring for cable TV in the walls (Coax port) but doesn't use it, then you should look into MOCA adapters (They affordable version of this are called DECA adapaters https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AYMDXMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
>>
>>61913457
>>61913419
thanks for that
>>
>>61913463
Thanks for the backup strategy kind anon
>>
>>61912655
I live in a 2-story old ass house, and the lower floor has 220v while the upper half (where I mostly live) has 120v, even redone for Smart Meters
>it's just preference and decision to pay more to convert the 220 or not
>>
Because they're shit. I'm at the back of the house with the router at the front. I use one because it doubles my speeds compared to WiFi, but the number of times it goes down is fucking infuriating
>>
>>61912517
Powerline networking causes all kinds of interference for ham radio operators. Get a wifi extender instead and install it halfway between you and the router.
>>
>>61912517
is it 5Ghz or 2.4?

you need to use a clear channel, with little interference.

learn some shit, hop on that bitch and change the config, you are on /g/
>>
>>61912587
>as a kid I used a wifi extender
underage b&
>>
>>61912517
> not knowing homeplug technology that has been around since 2010
Gtfo normie
>>
Works for me.
>>
you don't really need to buy the equipment. just get an ethernet cable, adapter, and plug it into your computer.

if you have wifi, it's already done, the electrical in hte house binds the data from the wifi
>>
File: xiaomi_repeater_csg_gear.jpg (117KB, 900x587px) Image search: [Google]
xiaomi_repeater_csg_gear.jpg
117KB, 900x587px
>>61912517
You can try powerline, but sometimes that also doesn't work.

Honestly, I'd suggest putting a small repeater (costs like $8 if you get Xiaomi's new repeater stick... other options like another full AP in repeater mode also are possible) in between your room and the original internet sauce.

I'm sure someone of the other tenants doesn't mind a white fat usb stick sized object somewhere. Especially if they use the same internet, it might work better for them, too.
>>
these things only work if the house doesnt suck. I had one and it would trip breakers every time it uploaded
>>
>>61915674
These may also not work if the house DOESN'T suck, features multiple electrical circuits, and these are just too well separated from each other.

If the breaker / RCD trips it's more likely that you have a defective powerline adapter with some short circuit or something than anything else. They don't consume much power and the signal they send isn't THAT strong.
>>
>>61912517
> I can't wire an ethernet cable across the house because it would interfere with the other tenants
How many of them are there, two? Offer them an internet for half the price, let them use your connection. Connect then through a couple of switches, get a free internet for yourself.
>>
>depressed cause bad free WiFi
How pathetic
>>
>>61912517
>How has nobody told me about something like this until now?
No full-duplex. It can't transmit and receive simultaneously.
>>
>>61912517
If you don't see fuckhuge shortwave antennas around, go for it. Otherwise you're going to seriously piss off some ham operators.
t. lived in a commieblock with a PLC ISP
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.