[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Optical media

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage.jpg (115KB, 1000x675px)
serveimage.jpg
115KB, 1000x675px
anybody here work for the industry?
do you know of any plans for commercial optical discs larger than BD-Rs and BDXL?
>>
>>61911301
>plans for commercial optical discs larger than BD-Rs and BDXL?

what the fuck would be the point
>>
File: 1502250253616.jpg (72KB, 756x960px) Image search: [Google]
1502250253616.jpg
72KB, 756x960px
>>61911301
>>
>>61911314

100gb isn't much.
Think about being able to backup your entire digital life onto cold storage.
Imagine a single disc that could store multiple discographies of bands in flac, or backing up entire yt channels to a single disc etc
>>
>>61911375
>100gb isn't much

goddamn millennials
>>
>>61911301
No. There's no point. Nintendo was right when they came out with the Switch. Due to SSDs, flash sticks, and the like, coming down in price, and data getting so large, there's no reason to continue using optical media.
>>
>>61911375
>Imagine a single disc that could store multiple discographies of bands in flac, or backing up entire yt channels to a single disc etc

But why use optical media to do it? Shit like that would take much longer to burn/access than, say a flash drive, an SD card, or a portable SSD that's connected via USB-C.
>>
>>61912300
Don't all of those need to be plugged in within a certain timing window to keep their data? Even a burnt disc with good storage could avoid disc rot for years
>>
>>61912325
In theory, SSDs should hold their data indefinitely. However, the reality is that you are asking an impossible to answer question. People are sure to jump in with technical specifications, but the reality is that modern SSDs havent been on the market that long. There may be unknown issues that may arise in the future, but as of now, they are unknown.

And that's not touching on things like carts. I have SNES carts that still work to this day, more than 20 years later (the weak point is the watch battery, but the tech has come a long way in 20 years, and there are ways around this now).

Meanwhile, I have PS2 disks that were purchased in the 2000's, and have been kept right next to the SNES carts, that have visible disk rot.

The only storage medium positively known to survive for hundreds of years is printed/written data. Data printed with laser printer on acid-free paper and stored in a dry (and bug-free) location should be good for 500 years, at least (unless subjected to damage from outside forces). Of course, this would be inappropriate regarding video stuff, like youtube.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.