[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point in making technology graduates study Math?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 19

What is the point in making technology graduates study Math?
>>
What is a technology graduate?
>>
>>61904070
Majoring in computer science, software engineering, IT, cybersecurity, etc...
>>
>>61904033
calculators can do math better and faster than me
computers are just giant programmable calculators

why do we need to be mathmeticians again?
>>
I don't know anon, it's not like computers aren't dependent upon math to function. Nope, not at all.
>>
>>61904143
How do you rotate an image by 43 degrees CCW?
>>
>>61904033
Why not? They just give you a problem and you have a set of steps you use to solve it, it's not like it's hard :^)
>>
>>61904119
Because all those fields except IT require you to know math in order to be a competent professional.
>>
>>61904156
really they're not
>>
>>61904157
im sure theres a library for that. it probably even literally works like this:

degrees.rotate(43)
>>
>>61904033
So that they don't become ignorant faggots like OP
>>
>>61904197
What if there is no library or you can't use any existing library because of the licensing of your project? Are you going to tell your boss you can't into basic college math?
>>
>>61904033
1. To try and weed out brainlets
2. It's actually is useful and you will use some of it to solve certain problems you face.
>>
>>61904231
Look how those libraries work and re-write them or just Google how to rotate
>>
>>61904033
Can you imagine calling yourself a "software engineer" and not knowing basic trig?
Last I checked, that was the bare minimum to get an AA degree at even the most shit-tier of community colleges.
>>
>>61904285
So you'll lose X hours looking for a solution instead of just remembering rotation matrices from your linear algebra course?
Sounds like a pretty expensive but unproductive employee. You'd be better off becoming a code monkey.
>>
>>61904157
Use a formula. You don't need to be a Mathematician to use a formula.

>>61904189
Not true at all, there are numerous counter-examples of competent professionals who are shit at Math.

I've never had to prove a single theorem in my entire software engineering career, all the Math education I received in college just went straight into the trash. It was a complete waste of time.
>>
>>61904610
>Use a formula. You don't need to be a Mathematician to use a formula.
Maybe, but you need a mathematical education to know that such formula exists.
>>
>>61904197
Loaded example. I too can come up with a random example of computational application that requires literacy in a particular outside area of knowledge, like, say, geography.

>>61904268
>To try and weed out brainlets
Awesome, why not use literally any other area of knowledge then? Like, for example, geography?
>>
>>61904645
Only because it's a loaded example. See >>61904654
>>
>>61904157
How do you make a program that reads in the user's complaints and spits out an ICD10 medical diagnosis? Should've gone to medical school kiddo!
>>
>>61904645
Actually, you just need Google and Wikipedia.
>>
>>61904193
Imagine being this retarded.
>>
>>61904610
>I've never had to prove a single theorem in my entire software engineering career,
LOL FUCKING CODEMONKEY
>>
>>61904664
Vectors and matrices (so linear algebra) are literally everywhere in software engineering, I chose an image rotation as an example because it's the easiest to explain and visualize.
>>
>>61904738
Explain how math is used then you fucking brainlet
>>
>>61904743
>software engineering is reading/writing code
Pleb.

>>61904748
They aren't. That's simply an outright lie. I've never had to deal with them, and I have been in this business for 12 years. You probably just suffer from confirmation bias because they're everywhere in your particular area, but they're far from being everywhere in general.
>>
File: 904.png (628KB, 680x738px) Image search: [Google]
904.png
628KB, 680x738px
>>61904764
>he's actually this retarded and isn't pretending
>>
i went into geospatial development so linear algebra ended up being pretty useful but i never do calculus or diff. equations. the point is as an academic you will never 100% know where your research will take you, you just have a general idea.

university is supposed to make you a well-rounded academic who is an expert in one topic but tacitly aware of other fields, if only to know whom to consult when presented with an area that is not their specialty.

if you want to just do the equivalent of a hundred online coding tutorials then go to a community college or trade school. but don't bitch when you hit the glass ceiling after 5 years because all you really learned was how to push the right buttons in the right order.
>>
>>61904782
>can't explain because math is not a requirement for computers
t. brainlet
>>
>>61904157
Draw a circle which touches all four corners of the image boundary. Convert the rectangular coordinates of the points to circular coordinates on the circle. Add a rotation angle to the theta coordinate at each point. Convert back to rectangular coordinates.

This can all be done with geometry every high school kid in the country is capable of.
>>
>>61904826
>being retarded
>>
>>61904878
Not an arguement
>>
File: c27.png (174KB, 500x558px) Image search: [Google]
c27.png
174KB, 500x558px
>>61904974
Nice grammar, retard.
>>
>>61905016
>confuses grammar and spelling
>>
>>61905016
I had no idea wendy's was this sexy
>>
>>61905071
real wendy is a hambeast
stick to meme wendy
>>
>>61905016
Orthography*
>>
>>61905036
FUCK YOU
>>
>>61904033
I was pretty sure it was to not only weed out the dummies but also prepare for careers in CompSci R&D.
>>
>>61904119
Everything in this list but IT requires math extensively.

Computer science uses several subsets of mathematics like vector calculus, discrete math, etc. Contrary to popular knowledge, you're supposed to give proofs for your shit; you're not just a programmer.

Software engineering uses math/logic in the same way as described above.

Cybersecurity is all fucking math. Cryptography is math, you pleb.

If you're not using math, you're just a technician and those people contribute nothing to the advancement of technology.
>>
>>61904610
Those are generally people who have shit jobs. All the interesting jobs like self-driving cars, machine learning etc. requires a shit ton of math.
>>
>>61904157
>>
>>61905376
>but IT
No.
>>
Reminder

float Q_rsqrt( float number )
{
long i;
float x2, y;
const float threehalfs = 1.5F;

x2 = number * 0.5F;
y = number;
i = * ( long * ) &y; // evil floating point bit level hacking
i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 ); // what the fuck?
y = * ( float * ) &i;
y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 1st iteration
// y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 2nd iteration, this can be removed

return y;
}
>>
>>61905750
I learned Newton's method in high school, I didn't need another 3 years learning abstract unusable shit in order to figure that out.
>>
>>61905376
Dumb animuposter.
>>
>>61904157
> spend years memorizing and practicing formulas
> aha i am now a proficient mathematician
> how do i fizzbuzz??
versus
> spend years programming and reading programming books and contributing to foss projects
> encounter math issue
> search engine/wikipedia/IRC

win
>>
>>61905016
>criticizes grammar[sic]
>can't even string together a complete sentence
>>
>>61904143
so you are able to program a calculator you useless piece of shit
>>
>>61904871
Thats a brainlet level answer, it produces retarded spaghetti code, its a lot easier and cleaner if you just create a rotation matrix and multiply the position vector of every pixel by it. If you have access to the gpu, you can ultra easily just port it to gpu since its the same basic computation that's a lot faster on the gpu

>>61905599
Yeah, I cant fucking remember thise matrices either, and its a lot faster to just look them up on wikipedia, but you still need to know enough math to understand matrices, vectors and trigonometry to implement it.

Basically anyone in this thread trying to defend the notion that math is unnecesary is either a dirty pajeet or a sociology student or some other shit. If you want to do anything productive in life and not just meme about muh feminism or teach english in high school, you 100% need math
>>
>>61905915
Math isnt about memoring formulas, its about being able to think in a logical and critical way. Holy shit the amount of retarded in this thread is astonishing, I havent even learned a multiplication table yet I do most math problems fine
>>
>>61906025
>its about being able to think in a logical and critical way
Nah, you're thinking of philosophy, m8.
>>
>>61906056
Math is a branch science which is a branch of philosophy
>>
>>61906132
Math is neither science nor a branch of philosophy, you arseweed.
>>
>>61906340
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_science

Learn what math is and then maybe you'll actually be able to participate in this discussion.
>>
>>61906352
>Formal sciences are language disciplines concerned with formal systems, such as logic, mathematics, statistics, theoretical computer science, information theory, game theory, systems theory, decision theory, and theoretical linguistics.
Why isn't praxeology in that list?
>>
>>61906352
>no scientific method
>"c-can we be sciences t-too, anon? p-pls!"
No, stop whining, dumb mathfag.
>>
>>61906369
Because that sounds like a social science, like behavioral economics
>>
>>61904610
let me guess, you only wrote shit office automation soft not 3d shaders, cv, and image processing.
>>
>>61906453
>3d shaders, cv, and image processing
You can cherrypick math-intensive examples. That doesn't mean anything. See >>61904654.

Face it, computing is used for other things too. You're not as special as you'd like to be.
>>
>>61906453
>it's only computing if you're doing what I do
>that's how I know I'm superior
>>
Mathematicans can do anything you learned in your cirriculum.

You can't do anything mathematicians can do.

That's why.

tl;dr learning a little math will make you at least above sub-brainlet.
>>
>>61905915
I know it's bait but:
All programming problems are math problems.

A variable is a placeholder for a numerical location in memory. A string is a numerical array of numerical representations of characters. All functions are mathematical operations

If you don't have the pattern recognition, critical thinking skills or logic for some basic math classes then it probably isn't the field for you. There's a correlation between those who are good at math and programming. Alan Turing was a mathematician. I wonder why that was...
>>
>>61906487
>we're so good so much better than u lol
I'd love to see you have a try at NLU without a linguistics background, smug idiot.

You're the kind of moron that inspired OP's image.
>>
>>61904826
How do you think assembly works, kiddo? It's basic math. Computer science is just math in practice. Boolean logic is math.
>>
>>61906560
It gets compiled to machine code, executed and fed into the CPU control unit.

Where does the math finally come into play? :^)
>>
File: 7a.jpg (7KB, 232x206px) Image search: [Google]
7a.jpg
7KB, 232x206px
>>61906513

>NLU
> Subset of Natural Language Processing

Okay, I'd like to see how far you get in deeply understanding those fields without mathematics.

Also note that the best Computer Scientists are/where mathematicians.

Alan Turing

Alonzo Church

Haskell Curry

John Von Neumann

I could go on, and on.
>>
>>61904033
>technology graduates
Unless you study some social/history technology major (I expect to become a thing soon), you absolutely need math, Ahmed.
>>
>>61906340
Natural philosophy, mofo
>>
>>61904033
Wedding out the lazy and stupid, because you'd have to be both for the required math to be a problem.

Hopefully it will also give you the tools to make good estimates, and do the math needed for whatever problem your code is solving.

But That's secondary. Mainly, it's too weed out morons. Like op.
>>
>>61906493
ahahah this guy...
building is all about moving electrons and protons neutrons that are grouped with certain groups being placed on top of each other, I don't need to be a fucking physicist to build a house. besides your fucking reasoning is so retareded

> A variable is a placeholder for a numerical location in memory

and? do I need to know how to calculate the polynomial of your retardation in 50 ways to know that?

> A string is a numerical array of numerical representations of characters.

woah, good thing i spent that extra year learning autistic algebra, otherwise I wouldn't know what a fucking number is

> All functions are mathematical operations
no they aren't

> If you don't have the pattern recognition, critical thinking skills or logic for some basic math classes

blah blah blah buzzwords
it sounds to me you are butthurt that you just spent so much of your time for useless shit and you are deluding yourself into believing that it really wasn't a gigantic waste of time.
>>
>>61904610

because you are a software engineer, who dont need to come up with a new hashing algorithm or some other shit.
>>
>>61904033
Filter out the dumdums
>>
>>61907123
The point is, you don't need math to be a code monkey that treats programming like playing with lego blocks, but you do need it if you want to work more complex and interesting software.

Try solving this problem with your brainlet tier math skills: http://codeforces.com/problemset/problem/457/E
>>
I've been studied CS for a few years, and I'm about to graduate.

I hated Math when I started and wasn't that good at it, but I'm glad I took the courses.
Even if I never end up using the Math itself the classes prepared me a lot for thinking through more complicated CS problems.
>>
>>61907590
boy you math niggers think programming is all about solving math problems huh? what about designing code that works for a long period of time with no change? stability? extensibility? security? programming non-math related shits isn't just being legos, it's building a ton of fucking legos in a clever manner.

enjoy touching a tiny part of programming whilst acting all superior, McFaggot
>>
>>61908096

Why are you such a brainlet?
>>
>>61905376
>If you're not using math, you're just a technician and those people contribute nothing to the advancement of technology.

So 99% of all tech jobs then?
>>
>>61908122
i don't enjoy solving worthless math problems, nor dealing with it, what's the point? I'd rather make something that is more personal
>>
>>61904197
>rotating an object called "degrees" by 43 units
>>
>>61908160
I bet you also claim code doesn't have to be optimized, Pajeet. Because that's where maths are important, and the reason why most software is shit.
>>
>>61908160
>worthless math problems
Everything is built on math, all of technology and programming.
>>
>>61904119
Computer Science (actual computer science) SHOULD require heavy math. I really wish these universities would stop calling their Software Engineering programs "computer science".
>>
>>61905376
>Software engineering uses math/logic in the same way as described above.
>Cybersecurity is all fucking math. Cryptography is math, you pleb.

So... everyone in "computers" will be replaced by AI?
>>
>>61908597
Yeah

I also wish universities would stop calling their software engineering programs "computer engineering"

But the world is shit
>>
>>61905376
>If you're not using math, you're just a technician and those people contribute nothing to the advancement of technology.

me lol
>>
>>61908652
lmao what shit university did you go to where your comp eng program was heavily programming based?
at mine they basically teach the students basic CS and programming with C, and then the other three years are all about hardware, circuit design, embedded systems, etc...
my software engineering program is the same for the first year, and then there is heavy focus on object oriented programming, design of large systems, software development lifecycle, agile techniques, metrics, etc...
>>
>>61905376
Cyber security is more finding holes in other people's logic with the occasional breaking out a math page on Wikipedia when you have to remember how to calculate something every blue moon.
Cyber security is basically just being an annoying girlfriend always pointing out where you forgot to do the obvious thing in the mess of the 100 other things you were doing
>>
The shit I read here is insane.

I work in a robotics project. I'm mec engineer that also has a programming background. Most of the people I know in the project that only have a programing background are very good at programming, but are clueless when it comes to actually coding a general solution to a problem.

See, if you don't have some sort of math background, you tend to solve your problem with 102810 if, elif, conditions, which could be allright for simple things but is actually not good for problems you can't easly picture in your head.

Also for all those that say "wikipedia solves everything"... Have you heard of the concept of double ignorance. It's pretty hard to look for things you don't even begin to imagine that exist. The resulting code is thus a fucking big pile of if conditions again when sometimes the problem could have been solved by 3-4 lines of code that exploit a certain mathematic property.

On top of that, lot's of the interesting stuff on wikipedia about maths can be quite hard to understand without at least a bit of initial mathematics understanding. (I'm not talking about dot-product tier stuff)
>>
Okay dudes how do I into math enough to understand algorithms, computer graphics and crypto? I think the most advanced math I did at school covered integrals.
>>
>>61908865
Examples plz
>>
>>61908978

Those are all different fields. For example not sure how far you want to go in crypto, but if you want to have an at least basic understanding you need to know basic number theory at bare minimum.

If you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole learn Group Theory, Finite Field Arithmetic, and Abstract Algebra in general. Also some Probability theory/Information Theory would help too.
>>
File: 1489315039459.jpg (438KB, 900x2134px) Image search: [Google]
1489315039459.jpg
438KB, 900x2134px
>>61908978
>algorithms
Third book in God Tier

>computer graphics
A good understanding of linear algebra for 2D. 3D involves some harder shit (like quaternions for 3D rotations) but also requires a good understanding of rendering pipelines and graphics programming. For implementations it depends if you're into real-time graphics or rendered. For real-time I'd suggest this for a start
https://simonschreibt.de/gat/renderhell/
And here's the bible of PBR rendering
http://www.pbrt.org/

>crypto
A masters at a good university
>>
>>61909028
>>61909105
Thanks chaps
>>
>>61904033
Because they are hoping you will take that knowledge and go further in your education, and expand the field. Instead of being a code monkey.
>>
>>61908981

My robots play soccer.

When do you want to apply an offese strategy instead of a defense strat?

You can take the "geometric center" of the opposong team robot, verify if it's in our zone or theirs and make a choice with that.

It's simple and could work. It could be even more precise if you take their future positions.

The thing is you don't know what command they're being sent so you have to make a model to represent their possible next positions.

You can try to fit a random polynomial curve that "looks" like what a real robot would do, tune parametters, apply deadzones, etc... and that shit could work, but the "true" solution is acually to model the 2D accelerated particle representing each robot, representing their actual speed, positions and acceleration with a statistical law, inputing those in the model then generate a boudary of possible next positions based on what is physically possible for the robot to accomplish.

The math fields recquied to do that is stats, advanced calculus, and the mathematical intuition developped by practicing math problems for a long time. The later is actually required to come up with the idea of the solution in the first place.

Also, it's allways simpler to visullize the result of an algorithm if it respects clear mathematical / physical laws.
>>
>>61904119
Math helps teach you to think logically, and logic is the main component of those careers.
>>
>>61908096
>programming non-math related shits isn't just being legos
lol ok bud. I can pay a poo in loo $5 an hour to do what you do, and they'd do a better job.
>>
>>61908492
Nah, /g/ unironically believes in premature optimization. This board was unironically defending GNU strlen the other day.
>>
>>61908562
electrical engineering*
>>
>>61904143
who the fuck do you think makes the calculators you mongoloid?
>>
>>61909319
So do stuff like metaphysics and linguistics, why not teach those instead then?
>>
>>61904285
I was with you until you said just google it. So just depend on someone else.to do the math you mean. That someone took his math courses and solved your problem for you. Why are you working here again?
>>
This thread has convinced me once and for all I need to go back to /sci/ and get away from you retarded fsggots on this board.
>>
>>61910435
read up on some plato and then study some differential geometry and you'll go nuts
>>
>>61912112
Who?
>>
>>61909470
you obviously never worked with one
>>
>>61904610
>I've never had to prove a single theorem in my entire software engineering career, all the Math education I received in college just went straight into the trash. It was a complete waste of time.

That's because you're using the wrong metric.

And you know what, fuck it. Maths should be taught because it's a fundamental. It needs no other justification.
>>
>>61904363
>Sounds like a pretty expensive but unproductive employee
No, it sounds like an employee that knows how to get shit done, not how it works. Business is result oriented, how it's accomplished is of no concern, the code can be replicated, goggled or stolen, nobody gives a fuck you autistic piece of trash.
>>
>>61908126
The fuck tech job you do that don't require some form of math where you actually make something new?

As an engineer, you use math all the time
>>
>>61904033
go away, retard
>>
File: download (8).png (41KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
download (8).png
41KB, 128x128px
>>61905883
>Forgetting that this is an anime website
>>
>>61914696
Go to hell, weeb.
Do NOT reply.
>>
I'm going to do a math/CS double major. I've already covered most of the first year coursework by myself.
Am I making a mistake or can this be valuable to employers? I'll probably get a master's degree afterwards too.
>>
>>61914202
>you're using the wrong metric
What's the correct metric then?
>>
File: 1497025152288.jpg (17KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1497025152288.jpg
17KB, 540x304px
>>61908607
Maybe, who the fuck knows.

Have all technicians been replaced through automation? No. It's just not practical; The technology isn't there yet.
>>
File: animu.png (41KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
animu.png
41KB, 128x128px
>>61914706
What part of animu website do you not get?
>>
>>61908126
Oh, and Yes. Most jobs are just dumb codemonkey/technician/pleb-tier positions. The people who make the big dosh are the ones using the math...

as well as CEOs and shit
>>
>>61904033
>be good at math back when i was a kid
>get 10/10s in tests regularly, do well in other subjects too, practice and enjoy math
>gradually get bad (in all subjects but especially math), to the point i fail final year HS because of maths
>finally finish HS
>join univ to study IT
>it requires me to take cacl
>somehow pass calc 1
>get struck at calc 2
>would really like to learn all the workings of mathematics because its both intruiging and useful at the same time, but can't understand shit
>>
File: 1501807972526.jpg (570KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1501807972526.jpg
570KB, 750x1000px
>>61914706
>>61914747

Cool, I didn't even have to reply
>>
>>61914825
At our University (and most others in the US) calc 2 is a major course that determines whether or not you're going to be an engineer.

Rightfully so.
>>
>>61914719
Not you, pleb.
>>
>>61914847
How do i develop a mathematical aptitude senpai?
>>
>>61914890
Not him but personally I've never had much success in math until I've learnt the 'why' behind things. Don't accept a formula or statement till you understand its first principles and why it works. You'll succeed in math if you can figure stuff out on the spot
>>
>>61914847
No shit, i've seen people who zoom through college in every course they take. Except calc 2, its like the speed bump on road that requires you to slow down, and carefully cross it
>>
>>61910503
what is it with you retards and reinventing the wheel every time? the rotate functions are pretty fucking good as they are, just use the existing methods of rotating. you fucking find them by googling. goddamn you people are retarded
>>
>>61914731
Technician work is very broad category there. If programming is so math intensive the one thing computers are supposed to be good at is crunching numbers. The chance AI could replace programmers would be much higher.
>>
>>61904033
So you understand logic and mathematical science instead and getting a classical actual education instead of spending your uni career googling shit like a drone that took humanity classes, you utter nerdfaggot
>>
>>61904363
Nobody remembers 90% of formulas at the least
>>
>>61904143
>math is basic arithmetic
no
>>
>>61912032
>sci is any better
0.999... == 1
>>
File: 1492625797992.png (126KB, 800x769px) Image search: [Google]
1492625797992.png
126KB, 800x769px
>>61915951
>less than 1
>but also equal to one

Really makes you think.
>>
>>61916039
>less then 1
So how much is the difference?
>inb4 0.00...1
>>
>>61904033
>the modern world was built on maths
>What is the point in making technology graduates study Math?
I am ok with kicking people who do not like math out of tech. Go study sociology or some other non-science.
>>
>>61904610
Read any comp sci paper, almost all of them have math involved.
>>
>>61904193
Are going to be this dense eh? Saged
>>
>>61907426
Reinventing the wheel isn't a good thing.
>>
>>61916075
>human species survived by hunting down wild animals with anything we got out hands on
>What is the point in making people learn hunting today?
>I am ok with kicking wimps who can't hunt their food out of this world.
>>
File: 1479571787499.jpg (21KB, 211x220px) Image search: [Google]
1479571787499.jpg
21KB, 211x220px
>>61904157
from PIL import Image
im = Image.open("some_image.jpg")
im.rotate(45).show()
>>
>>61905915
You are honestly retarded. No mathematician memorizes formulas.
And all mathematicians learn to program.
>>
>>61904033
>What is the point in making technology graduates study Math?
It is the difference between a code monkey and someone with real understanding.

Of course any retard can copy an algorithm from Wikipedia, but if you want to get hired by a non shit company you better understand why and how that algorithm works.
>>
>>61917889
The difference is that nobody relies on hunting but everyone relies on mathematics.

It is not like we have grown past mathematics.
>>
>>61905750
Quick someone post that "when girls code vs. when guys code" twitter meme
>>
>>61904033

you mean whats the point of having them study the very fucking foundation of technology and science?
>>
>>61914760
>The people who make the big dosh are the ones using the math...
Not really no.
>>
>>61909319
>logic is the main component of those careers
That's cool and all, but we're not really teaching them logic.

Look at any computer science curriculum and you'll see they never take a single logic or even set theory course.

We're teaching them crap like calculus, probability, algebra and shit.
>>
>>61916039
Truth is, it's not less than 1, it's 1.
>>
>>61919121
So what you're saying is there are two number ones?

>math is logical guys I swear lol
>>
>>61919146
Because 0.99999... number is infinitive, means no matter where you cut it, it's going to round to 1.

also 1/3 = 0.333... and 2/3 = 0.66666 and 3/3 = 0.9999 but 3/3 = 1
>>
>>61914247
>"efficient worker" who replicates, googles, and steals code
aka a codemonkey on minimum wage
>>
>>61904033
Because it's a waste of time either way. By the time you graduate most of what you learned will be useless.

So they might as well make you study something that you can refer to that doesn't change every few months.
>>
>>61914247
we are talking about computer SCIENTISTS. "scientist" implies someone who does researches, invents and improves on methods. Not someone who hacks together semifunctional software like a fuckin pajeet. If you want that, just go to some coding bootcamp.
>>
>>61919044
You have no idea what you're talking about. Everyone in my degree took logic and set theory courses.
>>
>>61904119
All those are math degrees though
>>
>>61919570
Code monkeys were originally minimum wage jobs that women did, like secretaries.
>>
Im pretty sure OP isnt this retarded, but instead is trying to bait people so that he has to deal with less competition for the high paying jobs. Its the only logical explanation.
>>
>>61919811
What's your uni?
>>
>>61908383
>rotating a degrees called "43" by units objects
>>
>>61919146
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...
>>
>>61920102
>jewikipedia
>>
>>61920184
kill yourself
>>
>>61919146
>So what you're saying is there are two number ones?
Yes, infact all Cauchy series who's distance to 1 approach 0 are equal to 1.

The Problem here is that you don't know what a real number is and are blindly tapping in the dark.

The construction of the real numbers is rigorous and your lack of understanding does NOT undermine that rigor.
>>
>>61919044
At least here in Germany discrete mathematics is mandatory in the first year. That includes the basics of set theory and logic.

Also, calculus and algebra are among the most important achievements of mankind.
>>
>>61920184
Not an argument. Math is an objective science the math articles on Wikipedia are usually quite good, although very brief.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 161x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 161x144px
>>61917889
>He doesn't use a poisson distribution to find the probability that he will make exactly 4 clean killing shots with his rifle when the average number of clean kill shots is 3 per hunting session
Brainlets, when will they learn?
>>
1. Because certain core classes within computer science (namely everything related to algorithms) requires a certain level of math, and beyond that, several subfields (cryptography, computer graphics, machine learning) also require a greater understanding of math.
2. To keep morons out.
>>
>>61915951
>Cauchy sequences can have two distinct limits
really activates my almonds
>>
>>61904654

>like, say, geography
Math skills are heavily tied to logical thinking skills and spatial reasoning. Geography is mostly book smarts. It would make a poor subject for weeding people out.
>>
well 1/2 and 0.5 aren't the same because they look different!!!

This is what you mathlets sound like
>>
>>61921152
Of course can 2 Cauchy series have the same limit.

???
>>
>>61921194
reread my post
>>
>>61921226
What do you even mean by
>Cauchy sequences can have two distinct limits
what does that have to do with the question at hand?

The distance between 1 and 0.999... (for any of their representatives) goes to zero.
What does that have to do with Cauchy sequences who have different limits.
>>
math teaches you the way of thinking
t/c
>>
>>61906667
>all these old ass historical niggas
they know nothing about computers faggot they literally used punch cards and shit, not real modern computers. that's like saying newton was the greatest physicist when he came up with something people learn in third grade today someone like linus torvalds is much more influential and intelligent than them, sure they might be better if they were alive today but they didn't achieve much

complete autism mathniggers in this test you're shit programmers and autistics so you have no friends so you have to jerk off your e penis by thinking solving anything other than logical problems matters jack shit fucking brainlet nigger
>>
>>61920488
>"construction"
>of an abstract concept
We're hitting autism levels that shouldn't even be possible!
>>
>>61921182
>Math skills are heavily tied to autism.
FTFY
>>
>>61921583
>teaches you the way of thinking
That's philosophy, anon.
>>
>>61922382
Math is to Physics as masturbation is to sex, you know.
>>
>>61922382
There is absolutely nothing with anything I said.
You can construct an abstract object.

You sound seriously uneducated about the basics of mathematics.
>>
>>61910412
I wonder what electrical engineering is built on..
>>
>>61910412
Oh you mean solving systems of linear equations? Or Fourier analysis? Or complex numbers? Or any of the other Stuff electrical engineers do?
I can not imagine what that could have to do with mathematics.
>>
>>61921182
>I'm completely illiterate about geography: The Post
>>
>>61904033
A better question to ask would be what is the point of getting a degree if you only want to learn programming, when it is literally the easiest thing to self-learn? The answer is that there is none, you should go to some coding bootcamp or just pirate a book if your ambition in life is becoming a code monkey.
>>
>>61922733
Electricity.

>>61922861
That's all Physics, you don't have to prove theorems to do any of that.

There's no point in teaching compsci students fucking mathematical proofs.
>>
>>61922526
>Dedekind cuts are real, anon!
>I swear!
This is your brain on Math.
>>
>>61917431

yes, but it will help you further down the line

say you have to write an algorithm to count the sum from 1 to a, if you are solely a programmer you wouldn't come up, or even begin to fathom, to use the formula a(a + 1) /2
>>
>>61921583
But how can I be taught if I don't have a way of thinking?
>>
So less people have access to high-paying jobs.
>>
>>61904033
You're beyond salvation.
>>
>>61922733
The physical laws of the universe...
>>
>>61916039
kys
>>
>>61919182
It doesn’t “round” to 1.

lrn2realanalysis
>>
>>61922992
Am I doomed to become a codemonkey if I am self learning programming?
pls respond
>>
>>61927386
real anal ysis, is bullshit for faggots who think that math is a magical thing that requires no rules.
>>
>>61927772
you are doomed to be a neet without any company giving you a change.
>>
>>61927808
That is better. Many thanks.
>>
>>61927793
Boy, imagine when you see complex analysis...
>>
>>61921741
>haskell curry
>alonzo church
>"used punch cards"
low quality bait
>>
Did math touch you in the no-no spot as a kid or something?

>BUT THERE'S A LIBRARY FOR THAT MATH SHIT
Do you think the library popped out of thin fucking air? If all you care about is making the next Twitter or something, fine, don't care about math on a personal level. That's a completely valid stance. But to have the libraries you use in the first place, you need math. To come up with the algorithm in the first place, you need math. You need to prove the algorithm works and isn't just a fluke. You need to know how to efficiently apply mathematical properties to make it run well instead of being a huge slow turd, which is very fucking important if a million people use your library and rely upon it. And sooner or later you're going to be making a new library to do new things, and if you want them to be done properly, math rears its head in again.

That's why you're taught math. Yeah, the plug and chug method works once someone's already laid out the groundwork, and groundwork in CS will inevitably come down to math. I'm not saying groundwork is more important than what comes after, just that it needs doing and there will always be more ground to pave. Colleges and universities are preparing you for that. Yeah, sure, YOU don't plan (emphasis on that last word) to use much math, but plenty of people will and they also have a standard to keep if they want to remain relevant; you can't just handwave it away saying "nah, useless for me!"

Saying "why do I need to learn this math shit, I just want to build applications, I can use libraries" is no different than "why do I need to learn this math shit, I just want to make games, I can use an engine". It demonstrates ignorance, or in the worst case disdain, of the actual subject at hand and chances are that you shouldn't actually be in tertiary education for what you want to do, but rather a vocational course of some sort; whether or not your ego can live with not having a degree is another question.
>>
>>61904033
What an epic image OP. Learning things is for faggots.
>>
>>61929026
Learning things is awesome, but there's this thing called a focus. Also, learning is cool, but feeling superior and being a smug douchebag about the things you've learned isn't cool.
>>
>>61904033
Well I do MIS, and we only need calc 1 and business algebra. So not alot of math. Tbh.

Did take calc 1 with a foreign professor in a 4 week session and it was awful.
>>
>>61919182
Computers don't work like that though. They don't have unlimited precision.
>>
>>61919146
Those are not two number ones. Those are different representations of the same number.
>>
>>61917963
>picks up code monkey salary
>>
>>61929689
Thus they don't have anything like 0.999... so the question doesn't make sense in the context of computers and finite floating point precision.
>>
>>61908978
number theory
combinatorics
>>
>>61914712
Just do a CS major with a math minor
Most math isn't particularly useful for CS
Just take the classes that do have applications in CS Andrew whatever else is required
>>
File: 1502685830108.jpg (137KB, 939x718px) Image search: [Google]
1502685830108.jpg
137KB, 939x718px
>>61919146
>>61916039
>>61915951
Fucking brainlets in this board I swear.
Fucking brainlets in this board I swear.

⅓ = 0.333...
⅓ x3 = 1
⅓ x 3 = 0.999...
This so called 0.333 represents a state that 1 is constantly divided by 3, just like 1/3. It's only a method of expression. Thus 0.333.... x 3 = 1.

Slay thyselves brainlets.
>>
>>61922995
You're an idiot
>>
>>61930033
So you don’t need Real Analysis to be a code monkey. That doesn’t mean you don’t need to be strong in math to be anything other than a glorified help desk faggot.
>>
>>61930238
But a math minor isn't enough to get into a highly quantitative masters.
>>
I minored in statistics and got by fine for the most part without a super solid maths background.
>>
>>61921741
>complete autism mathniggers

why did I laugh so much
>>
File: girl programer.jpg (226KB, 869x1776px) Image search: [Google]
girl programer.jpg
226KB, 869x1776px
>>61905750
>>61918787
Thread posts: 216
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.