[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Mint Botnet/Privacy/Security Claims

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1497305302074.jpg (25KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497305302074.jpg
25KB, 480x480px
Does anyone have actual proof of the botnet claims? Yeah I know that someone swapped the ISO files with malware once, but I'm talking about Windows tier proof of telemetry botnet bullshit. I downloaded Mint and I haven't had any problems yet. Got all my software installed, drivers updated, shit werks. Trying to drop Windows for good, but still wanna play Steam vidya games and use proprietary drivers. Already tested CodeBlocks and eclipse, all werks great.

Where is the botnet? Where are the privacy/security concerns? I need proof.
>>
Nobody has ever seriously claimed that Mint is a botnet

The maintainers however are retarded, and the distro is functionally broken beyond basic use. Most Linux users aren't willing to trust the Mint guys to not royally fuck something up and put their users at risk, so they avoid using it.
It's still a good step up from Windows, but when you start trying to use it to learn more about Linux, don't blame Linux when everything falls apart - it's Mint's fault.
>>
No iso files were swapped.
The download link was altered.
Somebody assuming that webpages and iso files are served from the same machine is probably a good indication they don't know what they're talking about in the first place.
>>
File: 1502697982716.gif (7KB, 184x84px) Image search: [Google]
1502697982716.gif
7KB, 184x84px
>>61902835
What distro do you recommend? I need a daily driver for programming/running steam vidya games. Something stable. I so familiar with apt-get that I am afraid to switch to other derivatives. I certainly do want to learn more about Linux and how things work rather than just some mindless consumer. While I don't mind tinkering with the system for hours on end, I also need something reliable and stable for schoolwork.
>>
>>61903216
>want apt
>want stability
Just use Debian then obviously
>>
>>61903216
Manjaro.
It has all advantages of Arch and Mint combined, while lacking their flaws.
>>
>>61903216
You're asking in the wrong place. There are probably 2 or 3 people tops on /g/ on any given day who have a solitary clue as to what they're talking about.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.