[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here uses a 10Gig network in your home? Why did you build

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: F-10GIG-MC.jpg (123KB, 908x281px) Image search: [Google]
F-10GIG-MC.jpg
123KB, 908x281px
Who here uses a 10Gig network in your home? Why did you build it? Has it been a worthwhile upgrade?

I built one a year ago so that my kid's and wife's computer could access the server at the same time without overloading it. Now I've stripped down my main PC, and all my storage is on the server, all my main driver has is an SSD. I run steam off the network, etc. I don't get the full 10Gig speeds, but it's like accessing a local hard disk. I don't get any latency playing off steam, and load times are only a fraction of a second longer.
>>
so my wifes sons mothers bull can upload premium 4K 60fps BBC videos to BLACKED
>>
>>61872899
I'm still on gbe, the cost to upgrade everything is not really worth it.

Maybe when more shit starts to come with 10gbe nics as standard i'll change.
>>
>>61872899
sure if you can afford 10g switches, the nics and the cables. other than that plain old LACP would have done enough while being cost efficient for home usage
>>
Anyone have a guide to getting GNS3 working on linux?

Or windows, for that matter?
>>
>>61873090
Get IOS image
>>
File: comp.png (137KB, 1278x465px) Image search: [Google]
comp.png
137KB, 1278x465px
I am getting my certification so I am no longer a factory grunt (It'd be easier to get a tech job with that little bit of paper). This thing by CompTIA makes zero sense. A Clicking drive is one that is failing, you need to backup and replace but they say to turn off power management to the drive? What the fuck?
>>
>>61872899
10GbE is breddy comfy, you can get a lot of cx4 gear cheap now, latency isn't bad desu
>>
I've thought about it since I have 2gbps fiber available in my area, but the cost is keeping me from it.

$1000 install fee to the ISP (comcast), and another $1500-2500 for CAT6a, Router (probably pfsense or used enterprise gear), and NICs.
>>
File: 1502588664436.jpg (36KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1502588664436.jpg
36KB, 657x527px
Stuck with 100mbit
>>
There's no point (yet) for me to make the jump. Really only time I'll prob push my GB network to the limit is if it should ever become necessary to do a full on server data restore. Course the speed of the drives (Sata II/ 5900 &7200 rpm) will also be hitting the limit to. Rest of the time I barely use even half of it, that's with 2 two media streamers going (limited to 100 meg), my net connection (10 meg), wifi devices (4) (range from 802.11 G to 802.11N, 2 desktops (Gig E), and the server itself (Gig E)
>>
>>61875785
Forgot to add the nas that holds the server data backup (GB)
>>
>>61872899
While my Mellanox cards will do 10GB, they're currently running QDR Infiniband.

I use it to balance storage between a pair of servers with a fair amount of DAS.

Output from that pair of storage servers is either 1GB Ethernet or 16GB FCAL.

It was a proof of concept system. If I had it to do over again, I'd use QDR Infiniband for everything but TCP requests.
>>
I do editing and coloring for a TV network, I have 10Gbe to my storage sever, as 1Gb won't do 4k.
>>
>>61872899
>Who here uses a 10Gig network in your home?
Yes.

>Why did you build it?
Inter-VLAN routing and cluster communication. Each server has 4x 10GbE

>Has it been a worthwhile upgrade?
Yes

>>61872972
>LACP
You dont understand the limitations of LACP do you? It only improves performance if you have multiple streams. Even SATA1 disks have more bandwidth than 1GbE and that is not taking in to account goodput.
>>
>>61874914
If it keeps clicking without power management, it's broken. If you replace it even though it's just the power management turning it off and on, you're a retard.
>>
>>61872899
That sounds great anon. While I'd enjoy setting something like that up, I'd have no use for it.
>>
>>61873090
it works fine?
are you not able to load a router.bin file or something?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.