[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Virtual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 3vms.jpg (75KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
3vms.jpg
75KB, 640x480px
Kind of a stupid question I guess but, if I install Windows 98se on a Virtual PC in my Windows 7 PC can it use real hardware that doesn't work with Windows 7?

Or is only going to work with software?

I'm assuming most of the Virtual PC hardware is emulated, so the answer is NO?
>>
>>61871050
Some virtual machines software's can pass through USB and pci devices
>>
hmm i also wonder now. try it faggot.
>>
>>61871050
I kind of doubt it.
>>
>>61871050
A better question would be what hardware would you even want to pass though to a windows 98 machine.

You want to emulate an old operating system and use old hardware for a reason, my guess would be gaming.
What graphics card from the 98 era would even be compatible with modern hardware capable of passing it though to a virtual machine

legacy pci slots are becoming rare these days, let alone on motherboards which house cpus capable of vt-d
>>
I have a film scanner that only has XP drivers.

Tried in VirtualBox on Windows 7 host. Didn't work.
>>
>>61871050
I tried installing 98SE on VirtualBox and failed miserably, but managed to do it in VMWare Player/Workstation Pro easily, so I'll use what I know.

I do know on the hardware of the intel side you need VT-x to run 64bit OSes as client, and VT-d for the passthrough of devices. The Haswell generation of CPUs and newer thankfully all include both those. Unfortunately, while I can confirm that Vmware allows passthrough of USB devices (unplugs from the Host and connects to the client), I don't know how it would work for graphics cards, since my haswell right is a mini-ITX, and therefore I do not have an aditional PCI-E slot.

I happen to have an X800GTO and a HD4890 and I want to use them for a 98SE and XP virtual build respectively, but I need to wait for an atx Asus Z97 AR for that to happen (only one I can find with 3 long PCI-e slots that's of the 1150 socket).

I recall that for the PCI you had to configure a file for vmware. For your case look around in the virtualbox forums and ask if you have to modify any file to configure the port you want to use for the scanner.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>61872083
The only reason to use VirtualBox is if you need to network multiple VMs and don't want to pay for VMWare Workstation.

If it's a USB device,I would def try VMWare Player. Parallel port might be a dead end though.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.