[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this steaming pile of shit so popular? It's the slowest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 1089146.png (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1089146.png
22KB, 400x400px
Why is this steaming pile of shit so popular? It's the slowest editor I've ever used.
>>
>>61869253
muh github
>>
that isn't the official logo, right? There's a line missing.
>>
>>61869253
It's not that slow. Heavier than a text editor sure, but it's not like, horribly slow. To my knowledge, they're working on optimizing it (I think Electron is working on optimizing stuff too).
>>
File: literally-g-tier.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
literally-g-tier.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>61869265
just checked, it is. lmao
>>
>>61869267

>not that slow
>a text editor thats slower than most IDEs
>not that slow

Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>61869267
it is pretty slow, VSCode also uses electron but it's so much faster, and better.
Atom has reason to exist
>>
>>61869328
no reason*
>>
>>61869309
the nose knows
>>
>>61869328
VS Code doesn't have packages for Rust or Go support, though.
>>
>>61869253
i just judge everyone that uses it.
tried it a long ass time ago, was too slow. back to vim
>>
>>61869309
Two, actually. Another one should cross over that line.

Also, why the fuck do some lines intersect while others have end points so that another line can pass through without them intersecting?
>>
>>61869348
because art
>>
>>61869346
except it does
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=kalitaalexey.vscode-rust
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=lukehoban.Go
>>
>>61869253
because people are afraid to try vscode due to its shitty and confusing name and "muh micro$hit"
>>
>>61869346
it does and I use both (rust less so because I rarely write rust) and they're great
>>
>>61869267
It takes at least 3 seconds to open a reasonably-sized file and is sluggish while editing.
>>
>>61869267
It takes longer for Atom to start up on my machine than Visual Studio. That's inexcusable.
>>
File: file.png (20KB, 1010x761px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
20KB, 1010x761px
>>61869346
>be me
>install code
>create new file
>save as Untitled-1.go
>this shows up
you're a faggot
>>
>>61869253
Because webdevs are retarded.
They can't fix underlying issues with their tools, instead they specializing in atomizing their hacks.
Nobody gave a shit about improving the work tools for windows until sublime came up with the brilliant plan to do two things: compile the editor for windows and charge money for it.
People freaked the fuck out because there were so many free editors that were just as good, but they didn't do these things.
Then a ton of people at github got the brilliant idea to make a new editor, but since they had a ton of webdevs that didn't have anything better to do (no webdev had ever done anything meaningful anyway).
Obviously the webdevs are too dumb to use anything other than JS, so they never learned how to optimize anything and now we have the mess that is atom.

Since webdevs are usually better at marketing than programming, they marketed the shit out of it so other webdevs started to use it and that is why it is so popular today
>>
>>61869449
>be me

who the fuck else would you be?
>>
>>61869253
because it looks pretty out of the box
>>
>>61870026
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>61869253
I think atom looks pretty

well it's dark theme, anyways.

I use geany for 99% of my editing and the speed difference is jarring. I kinda hate the way it looks, tho

>tfw you haveto pick between speed and looks
>feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>>61870143
no you, go back to r.eddit fag, only they gt like that since 2013
>>
>>61869380
it also tracks data
>>
>>61870573
it's called telemetry and pretty much every software in development implements it, you can opt out
>>
>>61869253
I have zero speed issues with it, plus the atom-pair extension is great.
>>
>>61870573
it's free as in freedom. you can remove all telemetry and compile it yourself
>>
I don't get the Atom hate (even the fucking logo? Really?), this is one thing that 100% feels like another autistic /g/ circlejerk, it doesn't help that it intersects with the anti-javascript meme as well
>>
>>61869253
>having shit hardware
This is why I can't take you guys serious
>>
>>61871340
I actually have a thinkpad
>>
>>61871340
>relying on hardware

plebs out
>>
>>61871336
>anti-javascript
But people here are praising visual studio code, another electron editor.
You're just buttmad
>>
>>61869253
it looks really good
although I just use vim in urxvt with custom colors which make it look just as good
>>
File: Capture.png (28KB, 674x403px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
28KB, 674x403px
>>61871336
>>61871340
Atom's design is some of the most byzantine nonsense I've ever seen. You are running an entire fucking web browser just to edit text. It is so extremely inefficient that even on a modern computer, its performance has to be considered because it's harder to multitask with Atom eating up your memory.

Look at this bullshit. I make no effort whatsoever to keep my Emacs installation light and constantly pile on new extensions if I like them, while this instance of Atom is completely vanilla. I could download and install literally every publicly available Emacs extension ever made, run them all at once and it would still be more efficient than an Atom installation that lacks even the bare minimum configuration needed to make it useful to end users with arbitrary needs (and in the programming world, there are a lot of them). Atom's design is stupid and impractical at every possible level, but people think it'd modern and advanced for literally other reason than because it's pretty... and even then, it's passable at best and the animation effects are subjectively annoying.

Yes, I know, there comes a point where complexity is inevitable if you want to get shit done, but there is a fucking limit. Web developers are a blight on technology. They are making software slower at a much faster rate than hardware can keep up.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.