[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /g/ I need a way to handle flash storage or USB drives being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 71OD4jHlfeL._SL1200_.jpg (135KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
71OD4jHlfeL._SL1200_.jpg
135KB, 1200x1200px
sup /g/

I need a way to handle flash storage or USB drives being plugged and unplugged, while tracking the drive letter based on the PHYSICAL PORT, not the actual flash media being inserted and removed.

How do I do this?
>>
For example I have media players playing music from five different sources to five different sinks in pulseaudio. Let's imagine it's five different areas of an art installation.

I want to be able to treat each port as a drive. Let's say port 1 is the source of music for the main hall and I have a thumb drive in that port being used as a music source. It's drive X. The media player sending music to the main hall sink in pulseaudio draws from drive X, automatically. I replace the thumb drive with a different one with a fresh set of music, and the media player continues to draw from it as it still sees drive X, just with a new set of files this time.
>>
>>61862160

Or some kind of script that automatically assigns the same drive letter to any thumb drive plugged into that port. Is that doable?
>>
>>61862120
https://tinyapps.org/blog/windows/200910210700_control_usb_drive_letter_assignment.html

>Assign drive letter based on user, drive type, connection type, USB port, volume label, size, and more

But I need this for ubuntu
>>
>>61862167
Yes you can script this. But since you have to ask you likely lack the skills to be able to do so.
>>
>>61862120
Use Linux.
It's actually a billion times easier to do shit like that in Linux.
>>
>>61862212

I'm not a software guy. But if I have to have it created, I'll get it created.
>>
>>61862120
>drive letter
>>
>>61862120
In Windows? You don't.
In Linux? Add udev rules based on the filesystem UUID/whatever serial code your filesystem has.
>>
>>61862120
On Linux, you can find device files described by physical path in /dev/disk/by-path
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.