[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does disabling location services on android actually stop sending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: tinfoil-hat-guy1.jpg (117KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
tinfoil-hat-guy1.jpg
117KB, 800x450px
If the GPS is turned ON the phone regularly sends location updates to google, this can be verified even without any data monitoring.

If I turn it "off" from the software switch, does it actually stop? Or does it just prevent the apps from getting it while still sending information to Google? Has anyone actually looked at the data sent outwards using external tools to verify this either way?
>>
Why don't you go no gapps and stop worrying?
>>
>>61855433
I already have to use Linux at work, I don't aim to futher complicate my life with unreliable software.
>>
>>61855466
>no gapps
>unreliable
My Nexus 5 with gapps-less CM13 is the most stable and reliable phone I know of. I didn't restart in months and the only apps that crap out on me are the ones that use gapps.
>>
>>61855699
>only apps that crap out on me are the ones that use gapps.
So what you're saying is that it's unreliable. I don't care whose "fault" it is if the fact is apps crap out on you.
>>
>>61855711
I just use alternatives that don't require google, they work perfectly well.
Isn't this the whole point of degoogling?
>>
>>61855736
I'm not looking to degoogle for the purpose of degoogling. I want to use the best software regardless of its origin.

Regardless it's not about which apps I use. Android OS sends location data to Google even if I'm not running Google Maps or any other software.
>>
>>61855466
>Babby's first /g/ post
>>
>>61856023
Just because I don't buy into every meme shilled on here to please internet bullies doesn't make me new, anon.
>>
>>61855466
Well congratulations, you've found the crux of the privacy dilemma. Google (and Facebook and Microsoft and all the rest) give you free, convenient things that invade your privacy. They make back their money on that invasion of privacy, and so they make it difficult or impossible to use their convenient, free services while not giving them surveillance data. If you don't want them to know everything you do, you get to accept more inconvenience. You get to use Linux instead of Windows or gappsless Lineage instead of Android or iOS.

If you won't go out of your way to secure your privacy, you won't get any privacy. Pick a lane.
>>
>>61856154
Yeah, I understand that. But I'd still like to know just exactly how much my privacy is breached to know when it's gotten too much to justify the convenience.
>>
>>61856226
Well Google tracks your location with more than just GPS. It also looks at the SSIDs of wi-fi networks your phone sees, it has a database of these and can get a good idea where you are just by that. (it won't be as down-to-the-meter accurate as GPS, but it can easily tell what building you're in) And of course the carrier can track your location by triangulating you based on what cell towers can hear your phone.

I'd speculate that Google is either in on that data, or can approximate it by knowing that such-and-such a cell tower hands out addresses from 1234:5678:90ab:cdef/64, so traffic from you coming to them from an address in that range must be coming from a specific location.
>>
>>61856356
Thanks. I never enable WiFi, but then again that is also just a software based switch in a software created by Google. Didn't really even consider cell tower triangulation but you're right, Google must have access to that information (approximately) even if the carrier doesn't outright give it out.
>>
>>61855044
>do feelgood buttons work
of course not

the backend calls in android are insanely intrusive and hard coded into the javastack
>>
>>61856554
Yeah that's what I assumed. Nice to hear some confirmation, even though technically I have no clue if you actually know any more about it than I do.

They do seem to impact battery life, but maybe that's just because 3rd party apps aren't using them without letting me know.
>>
>>61856649
anon, everything is tinfoil, until its not. if you're motivated enough to find out, you can confirm it for yourself

and at the end of the day it doesn't matter anyway because there is no non-botnet alternative when it comes to modern smart phone operating systems
>>
>>61856844
Even sailfish?
>>
>>61856996
ive heard of it but have never looking into it personally

if being tracked is that much of a concern you should really be looking into burner phones or distancing yourself for the devices whenever possible. software solutions are only going to get you so far
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.