[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unreal or Unity? C++ or C#?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: Bioshock-infinite-columbia.jpg (29KB, 400x285px) Image search: [Google]
Bioshock-infinite-columbia.jpg
29KB, 400x285px
Unreal or Unity?

C++ or C#?
>>
godot
>>
depends on your skill level, and if your goal is to make money
>>
File: Finish-Hammers.jpg (99KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Finish-Hammers.jpg
99KB, 600x300px
Which hammer is better?

Guess what!

It depends on the nail ;)
>>
Not Unity. If you use that you get branded as shovelware. So, if you do use it, at least don't let anyone know.
>>
>>61845986
Why do you need a hammer for fishing?
>>
>>61845977
For S (skill) in L H (low high), and goal being G if money, nothing if not.

L => Unity C#
H => C++ without and engine
LG => Unity C#
HG => Unreal C++
>>
>>61845986
why the fuck did you use hammers and not screwdrivers for this example?
>>
File: fukuman.jpg (90KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
fukuman.jpg
90KB, 960x720px
>>61845954
Unreal
Lisp
>>
You want the best quality? Unreal
You want easy but bare bones? Unity

You want great lighting? Unreal
You want Houdini asset customization at runtime? Unity
>>
>>61846079
this
>>
>>61845954
You won't create anything with either of them.
>>
>>61845954
I'm using Unity.
It works great for the type of indie game I want.

I'm not going to insult Unreal because I don't have enough experience using it, but I'd be surprised if any other engine out there had Unity's level of API documentation.

You should try both out for a week and form your own opinion.
>>
>>61846079
>>61846219
Screwdrivers are Java
>>
What about Amazon Lumberyard based on CryEngine?
>>
>>61845954
>Unity
Budgie (MATE)
>>
>>61846578
C# is the same shit as java but .Net
>>
>>61846810
kek'ed
>>61845960
This for 3D
LÖVE for 2D
>>
>>61845954
Unreal is generally better and more efficient than Unity. Unity games are always poorly optimized and the only way to avoid this is to buy off their source code and alter everything to your needs, which costs money and requires skill. The only properly optimized game made in unity is hearthstone, which was made by fucking blizzard.

If you're an indie dev and not a company then Godot, Atomic or GameMaker 2 are better options, alternatively Unreal can be picked.
>>
>>61845998
So what was the last AAA game made with Unreal..?
Both of the engines are used to make shovelware nowadays.
And if OP asks question like that on /g/, most likely he isn't serious about it anyway.
For educational purpose try both. They're quite similar in a lot of ways. Unity got better community, documentation and is easier to get into in most of the cases.
C++ in Unreal is a shitton of macros anyway and most of the small tasks are easier to do with Blueprint. Editors in UE are pretty nice tho.
So try both. In 99% of the cases end result is limited by your skill and imagination, not an engine.
>>
>>61845954
Godot
>>
>>61845954
"I just want to make games": the post
>>>/global/rules/2
>>
I'm a dev using unity,
i find unity very flexible and the workflow with it very fast, i have acess to optimize fully my game, ecc.. but 1 complaint: some engine features are really bad, i hate the the shadows system, and the terrain system, also by reading yesterday i found out it's bad for large open world games
>>
>>61845954
Glacier2 or RAGE
>>
>>61847008
I don't know why but I always thinked this rule was for nsfw board only.
Any way, lot of people want to create game after 18 yo. I just learn unity last year and i'm 25 yo.
>>
>>61845954
And I just remember this
https://aws.amazon.com/fr/lumberyard/
>>
If making 3D games:
-Unreal if game is supposed to have very nice lighting, physics, fast paced game, etc

-Unity for anything else

If 2D games, there's debate between Unity, Godot and Game maker. Honestly, I don't think it matters much what you use when it comes to 2D. If you're a half competent programmer and know what makes a fun game, it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>61847140
>unity
>for anything
No. It's a garbage engine.

As for 2D, GameMaker is a clear winner since it's specialized in 2D. Godot is fine if you're on a budget.
>>
>>61847160
And why is it garbage exactly..? Have you shipped anything that was made with it?
>>
>>61847354
For consumers it is. I haven't played a single properly optimized Unity game.
1. It requires meme hardware on PC
2. It rapes mobile CPUs and overheats devices
It's a pile of shit and I avoid games made in it.
>>
>>61847458
>I haven't played a single properly optimized
Are you playing on a toaster or something..? How is it engines fault that the game isn't optimized?
Bad developers will make bad games, no matter what.
The last unity games that I played were Oxenfree, Insode, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak and Pillars of Eternity. None of them got any performance problems for me.
>>
CryEngine if you want an AAA FPS game with teh graphics, Unreal for everything else when it comes to 3D and Godot for 2D games.

Seriously, why even bother with Unity? It's a piece of shit mobile engine for shitty 2D tetris clones. If you want to make something decent out of it, you'll HAVE to purchase its source code, and for that money you'd better hire some Indians who'll write you a better engine and a toolkit, for a much cheaper price.

Hell, if I had to choose between Unity and a shitmess of Valve's Source engine, I would choose Source.
>>
>>61847140
>If you're a half competent programmer and know what makes a fun game, it doesn't really matter.
You wouldn't be using a game engine for 2D if you were competent.

You retards are nothing but designers, playing around in an engine editor all day.
>>
unity if you believe in a games as a service model instead of a retail release
>>
>>61845954
I use C# for RAD (or agile, as kids call it now days), and I've been learning Unity, but that's because I already had some XNA experience, and I though that was enough reason to stick with C# (wanted to port shit I already had)

Besides, I use C/C++ at work, and I don't want to use the same shit for my own projects (feels like, I brought work home or something...)
>>
>>61847559

If it works it doesn't mean it's optimized.
>>
>>61845954
>Unreal or Unity?
neither, they're both shit
just make your own engine
>>
Ren'py

Python
>>
>>61847858
>You retards are nothing but designers, playing around in an engine editor all day.
You're nothing but some edgy kid that probably haven't finished and released a single product.
>>61847996
If it gives you solid 60 FPS optimizations are waste of time.
>>61848087
Might be good for educational purposes. Retarded decision if not.

Just open up local job offerings and look up what technologies they're looking for. Unity is the most required one in gamedev around here, so it's a pretty safe investment in your career. Knowing more that one engine is always a good thing. Refusing to learn something because anon said it's bad is 100% retarded.
>>
for those speaking about Lumberyard and Cryengine...

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/80.lv/articles/opinion-how-to-make-lumberyard-better/amp/
>>
>>61848234
Can i apply for a job, knowing well unity, and not having any kind of diploma?
>>
>>61848256
Unity offers their source to companies, at a price.
>>
>>61848297
Most likely. Haven't seen my diploma since I've got into development.
Small companies don't care about it. Big ones with lots of bureaucracy might require it, but most of them only care how well you know your shit anyway.
>>
>>61845954
>not programming 2d games in assembly
>>
>>61848256
>List made by a retard
oh god, please leave
>>
>>61846955
>Both of the engines are used to make shovelware nowadays.
pubg has like 500k+ peak players daily and it's still growing
>>
>>61848631
Pokemon Go has like 5M players daily. What's your point..?
Engine doesn't make a game popular. They would still be successful if they were made with any other tool.
>>
>>61848256
Wasn't Boo dropped already from Unity?
I thought Javascript was going to get gutted too.

There is Xenko which is Unity3D 2.0 in the early stages, but better C# support. C# 7, meanwhile Unity is stuck on C# 4 or 5 or 6.
>>
>>61845954
it doesn´t even matter just don´t use the free version of unity because you will loose customers
>>
>>61846921
why Love for 2d?
it has nothing out of the box and the community is low energy
>>
>>61845954
Just finished that game wtf?!
>>
File: 1494980856401.jpg (63KB, 817x857px) Image search: [Google]
1494980856401.jpg
63KB, 817x857px
>>61848678
>moving the goalpost
>>
>>61848256
>linking to googles article stealing service
also this comparison looks like it was made by poettering
>>
Love is good but unfortunately you can't compile your shit, it's always open for everyone

LOL at everyone who recommends Unity for 2d. The engine is bloated for 2d, tiles are objects so they produce a fuckton of overhead. You will waste use a fuckton of resources even with an empty scene

Gamemaker is good but the licensing is bullshit
>>
If you want to pay $3k for a half finished engine that you'll never own, use Unity.

If you want a dodgy chinese company digging through your bank account each month, use Unreal.
>>
What engine has dynamic sound?
>>
>>61848678
my point is that you were not correct saying that >both of the engines are used to make shovelware nowadays
also >>61848849

or it could be that by "shovelware" you meant "games I don't like" but that would be a pretty retarded use of that word
>>
Read the fucking file name retard
>>
>>61846080
>Lisp
But which one? Clojure? Common Lisp? Scheme? Racket? Dylan? Autolisp? Guile? Emacs Lisp?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.