[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>doing programming exercises >author uses feet and inches

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: ll.jpg (62KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
ll.jpg
62KB, 720x720px
>doing programming exercises
>author uses feet and inches
>>
File: 601.jpg (24KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
601.jpg
24KB, 657x527px
>>61836624
>author uses the size of a american football field as a measurement

How many meters is 0.09563 football fields again?
>>
>>61836624
>programing DAO classes
>date formats all over the place

Fuck it, i just converted everything to unix timestamps
>>
>>61836624
This is just a motivation for you to use your own head and adapt it to sane units, it's an exercise after all.
>>
>muh metres

People (who matter) still use feet and inches. Nobody cares that all of the Eurotrash overseas uses metric, and therefore burgerstan/sri lanka should adopt it too.

Is that what you plan on doing once you get out on the field? Once tasked with a program using imperial units, you just tell the employer to fuck off? Ditch the autism and do the exercise.
>>
>>61836657

When someone tells you how large something is in terms of football fields, the intention is to give you an idea of scale. It is not intended that you convert to actual units and use this as a measurement.
>>
>>61836723
monkey see, monkey do.
>>
File: degeneracy.png (968KB, 1296x860px) Image search: [Google]
degeneracy.png
968KB, 1296x860px
>>61836800
>mfw americans can only understand the scale of things when measured in football fields

Tryly the heir to the Roman legacy
>>
>>61836800
Why don't they just tell you the scale in meters?
>>
>>61836848
You could line up 960 Big Macs to span the length of a football field.
>>
>>61836848
Anohn, haha. Where did you find this one?! I really, really, really like this image. Mind if I save it?
>>
>>61836920
All the images I post are released under the MIT license :^)
>>
>>61836848
We can use plenty of things to demonstrate scale. I've seen people use the size of the Empire state Building plenty of times to show height.

>>61836851
Here is the problem with the metric system as a means for day to day measurement: for all of the prefixes you have, you are still using the same unit for everything. A kilometer is just 1000 meters, so why don't you forego the prefixes entirely and just shift the decimal place around? The problem with that is that the scale of things you want to measure is not always going to be a perfect power of 10 magnitude away from each other. A yard is 3 feet, but I would never measure my height in yards. It would be preposterous. The height of most everyone falls between 1.5 yards and about 2.25 yards. A raw number does not convey as well an idea of how big something is compared to a number with an object for comparison. An inch is slightly shorter than a thumb. A foot is about the size of most people's feet. A yard is on the scale of your armspan. These figures are able to be converted between one another, but the intention is that they are not because there is more to the units than just what they measure, there is an inherent idea of what they can be compared to.

Metric units are great when you just need a raw number to do all of your work in. There's a reason its the standard for the sciences, even in America (yeah, we're not an imperial only country, we use both systems). But if you want something to just immediately compare to, they are not as good.
>>
>>61837314

For us who grow up with the metric system it is pretty intuitive. When estimating lengths we can simply base it upon similarly sized stuff that we know the length off, you get a sense of it after a while. Which is essentially what you're describing anyway.
>>
>>61836624
So write conversion functions. You're learning programming you retard.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.