[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does one need to read in order to really understand how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1496950632392.jpg (85KB, 470x960px) Image search: [Google]
1496950632392.jpg
85KB, 470x960px
What does one need to read in order to really understand how CPUs work, so to make an informed decision on what CPU to buy?

Pic unrelated
>>
Depends what you want to understand. What metrics to compare them by? What types of CPU exist? Or straight up design-from-scratch knowledge?
>>
consumer desktop CPU's are fucking black magic at this point, you won't understand how they work because no business is going to spill its secrets.
The system's fucked.
>>
>>61831145
>informed decision on what CPU to buy?

Thats easy, buy anything from Intel, you can't go wrong
>>
>>61831145
You don't need to understand how a CPU works, to buy the right one for you. You only need to now how it performs in various use cases.
>>
>>61831187
If you not poorfag
>>
>>61831187
>t. Pajeet Patel
>>
File: intel persuasion kit.jpg (460KB, 2083x1405px) Image search: [Google]
intel persuasion kit.jpg
460KB, 2083x1405px
>>61831187
Yes, good goy.
>>
>>61831187
This is exactly the point. How can I blindly choose intel if I don't know how to compare it to AMD?

>>61831169
All the above
>>
>>61831230
Look up benchmarks of whatever software you're using. Buy the best CPU for your paticular use case and budget.
>>
>>61831230
See this >>61831196
Define your use cases, take a look at benchmarks people post on the internet and draw a conclusion. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>61831199
>If you not poorfag
Yes, let's take advice from the random internet retard that can barely even speak English.
>>
>>61831234
>>61831251
Sure, you are right. But I want to understand the technical bits
>>
>>61831331
It's essentially all the same x86
>>
>>61831145
Not much actually. First you learn how transistors work. Then you learn how to make logic gates and triggers out of them. Then you learn synchronized versions of them, adders, pulse generators. That's enough to make a simple CPU. Then you learn what performance techniques modern CPUs use - caches, out of order execution, pipelines and their problems, microcode.
>>
>>61831331
How much do you want to understand? This topic is a profession in itself not just a few things you can pick up in an afternoon.
Computers have become more and more complex as time progressed. You are probably best of picking up a book on digital electronics and learning using really old and therefore simpler hardware before working your way up to modern hardware.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.