[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to work from home as help desk/IT support? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: help desk technician.jpg (148KB, 650x328px) Image search: [Google]
help desk technician.jpg
148KB, 650x328px
Is it possible to work from home as help desk/IT support?

What sort of qualifications/certifications do you need?
>>
yeah lots of people do it. Apple does a lot of tech support his way.
>>
>>61796143
This. Just Google work from home for Apple. I think you can make $12/hr or so. It isn't a lot but you can get your foot in the door with some rudimentary IT experience. Easy job, too, if you can handle talking to people.
>>
>>61796143
>>61796192
Thanks for the help my niBBas.

Should I self study and get CompTIA A+? Would that be enough? Or maybe enroll in some IT classes at local community college and go for my associates degree in IT?
>>
>>61796221

most remote tech jobs don't require any sort of education or certs beyond company training but ye itd be in your best interest to pursue this on the side so you can move up in the world
>>
If you get your A+ there are loads of remote work opportunities for you

Just warning you though, working from home sucks ass and you will probably become a fat fuck
>>
>>61798039
The problem is, my wife and I live out in the sticks. She's going to be finishing a 2 yr ultrasound technician program and making a decent living. She doesn't want to leave the area because she already has a job lined up at a local hospital where she is doing clinicals.

There aren't really any IT jobs around here and that's the field I want to pursue, so I figured this would be my best option.
>>
>>61798118
>There aren't really any IT jobs around here

There are no banks? Most rural IT workers work in banks and hospitals.
>>
>>61798860
None that are hiring, and if they are they require at least 5 years of experience + a bachelor's degree in CS.

The local hospital is hiring but requires at least an associate's degree and CCNA.
>>
File: dog_thinking.jpg (90KB, 526x701px) Image search: [Google]
dog_thinking.jpg
90KB, 526x701px
>>61796065

Depends on the role, if its purely phone/remote desktop sure (see: outsoursed to india), but if it requires boots on ground work (plugging cables, moving hw, et cetera), you're SOL.
>>
>>61799806
>"IT" job at a bank doing basic computer support shit
>requires degree in computer science, which is essentially just applied discrete mathematics and has nothing to do with servers, networking, or desktop support

This is why I fucking despise HR personnel. Do they really think someone with a formal education in CS is going to go to some hick town fucking bank to zip tie cat 6 cables and reset Stacy's password because she can't get into her work email?
>>
>>61799806
just sign up for community college bruh
>>
File: 157.jpg (104KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
157.jpg
104KB, 803x688px
>>61799806
>tech job that probably pays 30k annually at most on a salary with 50-60 hr weeks
>require at least 5 years of experience + a bachelor's degree in CS

why does life have to be like this
>>
>>61796065
LOL
>>
>>61796065
Just git gud at programming. You can literally be a programmer/analyst from home and make triple what these helpdesk monkeys take home.
>>
>>61800118
Also you need zero formal education and zero certifications. Just develop a good portfolio on github.
>>
yeah just knock out a 40 hour course on codeacademy, OP. Companies will be lining up to pay you $80K to work from home.
>>
>>61800241
I realize you're being sarcastic, but in case OP is a dumbass and takes this seriously, you're looking at about $20k-$30k annually when you first start out, and yes there are a shitload of programming opportunities you can do remotely. It's all just a matter of having a good portfolio.
>>
>>61799906
I hear this meme constantly. I don't have a college degree, and I literally started learning software development on Feb 2, 2012. 5 years and change later, I'm making six figures. Go cry somewhere else. You don't need a degree.
>>
>>61799806
They put that shit on the listings to keep unmotivated neets from even trying. Trust me, I've applied, and gotten at least 6 100k+ offers from companies who "require" a bachelors degree, and I don't have any college degree.
>>
>>61800324

he's talking about IT jobs, not software dev

the problem is HR people think IT guys (read: cable monkeys) are dank hackers with elite programming skills and need a PhD in computer science to install windows 10 at a call center
>>
>>61800386
Don't do IT if you want to make a good living. You'll be hard pressed to earn six figures as an IT/networking guy. You have to do either software development or information security.

Don't waste time on low tier technician shit when you could be using your time developing skills that will get you 5x more profit in the long run.
>>
>>61800386
>software is not information technology
>>
>>61800482
In North America IT jobs are the monkey tier cable shit. Software is involved, but engineering it is almost never part of CIT/CIS program curriculum or job descriptions.
>>
>>61796065
I work for a medical company, and half our work force works from home. I would not recommend it. We require almost everyone to come in to the office once a week, but this might get dropped.

Otherwise we give you all the equipment, dual monitors, dock, a nice laptop, i7, 16gb ram, etc, and a RAP unit

I manage all the work at home users, and personally I would never work from home. Don't mix the two.
>>
>>61800413
Bullshit. Im a help desk analyst making $35 an hour, and going to earn a minimum of $75k when I go full time, and salary.
The person above me makes $105k worked here last than 2 years
>>
>>61800616
but you work for a government contractor. those don't count.
>>
>>61800324
Can you please tell me what you did to achieve your position? I am also learning software development, and I don't have a college degree either. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>61801656
Basically I learned everything I could from Lynda.com (now there are plenty of other sites).
I made some projects that actually work like real web applications and not a lame ass portfolio site using wordpress.
Finally, when it came time for the interview, just be confident.

YMMV, because this kind of shit does take a pretty good amount of innate talent.
>>
>>61802108
Thank you for your answer. This definitely fires me up to keep learning. Another question if you don't mind, how did you overcome the initial "block" of turning an "abstract" thought, into code? Learning syntax is super easy, but in my opinion, that's the real challenge. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>61802242

Like I said, it does require an innate ability, but after you get your first job, the first thing you're going to think is, "Holy shit I'm over my head." But after you get over the initial butterflies, the more abstract parts of development come with experience.
>>
>>61803349
Thanks for the advice, dude. I will definitely keep practing/doing useful projects.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.