[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everything to do with ads is stupid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: 1468795484682.gif (486KB, 387x368px) Image search: [Google]
1468795484682.gif
486KB, 387x368px
>popups are 90% ads, 10% useful things that shouldn't be popups
>browsers still allow popups

>ad visibility does not matter at all, what matters is advertising the right thing to the right person
>even Google is fucking terrible at targeting adverts
>most ads are animated to increase visibility, and this just annoys the user and lags the browser

>animated adverts are the reason people use adblockers
>no adblockers just filter out animated adverts
>sites which beg people not to use adblockers use animated adverts

>there is absolutely zero reason to show someone an advert twice
>get shown the same advert a hundred times

>phone screen space is very limited
>all mobile websites will take up the top 2cm with a navigation bar, and the bottom 1cm with an advert that you are very likely to accidentally click on when you try close it

Obviously, the purpose of an advert is to show you something you want.
If you want it, it doesn't matter how visible the advert is.

I think the root causes of the problems with advertising are:
>advert producers think that anything matters past the first acknowledgement of their advert
>advert producers have zero reason to not make their advert totally obnoxious, even though the reward is tiny
>advert displayers are paid based on both clickthrough and advert obnoxiousness, when it should only be one or the other
>Google leaves it to bots made by advert producers to determine whether a user will be interested in their product, when Google bots could do it much better (For example, not giving adverts for expensive things to someone whose searches indicate they're trying to get a job)
>adblocker programmers punish all advertisers, not just the annoying ones
>popups aren't yet deprecated
>>
>there is absolutely zero reason to show someone an advert twice
but there is, repetition causes people to remember that stuff better

I might manage to ignore the name of a movie or game once, but show me an ad 10 times and I'll probably remember both the name and the catchphrase. so the next time I'm thinking about recent movies and games, I'm gonna remember that too

also there's stuff like food ads, its not like mcdonalds tries to make you aware of their existence, they just want to make you feel like eating some of their burgers once again
>>
>>61756332
If I see an advert for something I'm interested in, I'm gonna click on it.
I don't need to see it ten times, because if I'm interested, I would have clicked the first time.

And internet adverts are rarely food.
>>
>purpose of advert is to show you something you want
No. The purpose is to show something you don't want. Why would anyone pay to show an item one already likes and is willing to buy, waste of money.
The most valuable ad is one which makes you want something you otherwise would not.
>>
>>61756583
It's good to let people know your product is out there and exists. I think your opinion is part of the problem people have with ads. The biggest problem with ads in my opinion is the trading of adspace and 3rd, 4th, 5th... party inclusion. Somewhere along the line some shady shit is going on not to mention delay times in the bidding war to show a particular ad.
>>
>Obviously, the purpose of an advert is to show you something you want.
????????????????
the purpose of an advert is to tell you that ____ exists. when you have a problem and need something to fix said problem (whether it be a first world problem or not), people can look back and say "hey, i heard about this thing named ____, let's see if that fixes my problem".
>>
File: 1492561021904.jpg (46KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1492561021904.jpg
46KB, 550x550px
>>61756291
>animated adverts are the reason people use adblockers
Obnoxious popups and malware are the reasons people use adblockers. Enlarge your penis type of ads are usually those.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170805-231700.png (984KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170805-231700.png
984KB, 1440x2560px
>Look for a Roland Blues Cube on DuckDuckGo
> see a Sweetwater advert of a Roland Blues Cube while on Chrome

H-how does it know?

>also pic related

STOP STOP STOP
>>
>>61756583
Informing you of the existence of a product that you would want if you knew it existed is, "showing you what you want."
>>
File: 1480085404215.png (460KB, 709x636px) Image search: [Google]
1480085404215.png
460KB, 709x636px
>>61756653
>H-how does it know?
Cookies. Ads shouldn't use cookies in the first place.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.