[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 15134235.jpg (15KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
15134235.jpg
15KB, 500x500px
Why the fuck does networking have to be such shit on Linux?

Trying to connect to a WPA-2 802.1x access point is a fucking nightmare. I've tried NetworkManager, WICD, connman, and most of these are shit.

At my uni there are a very large number of access points in a concentrated area. If I try to connect via WICD, it panics because of this quantity and doesn't display anything at all. NetworkManager works some of the time, but it often drops my connection randomly, which is ESPECIALLY annoying when I'm doing work ssh'd into a server. In high access point concentrations, NetworkManager tends to at least show them, but it still panics and has trouble connecting to them half the time. Connman doesn't even have a GUI that supports 802.1x.

I'm aware that I can write network config files for plain wpa_supplicant or nm, but this is fundamentally a problem... why the FUCK should I need to use my phone to look up how to properly write a wifi config file just to connect to the internet on my laptop. I can't waste my time doing that shit. If I'm on windows, everything works just fine and dandy, out of the box! Same with OSX! Fuck I love Linux, been using it for years, but this has just been pissing me off to hell and back.

What if I'm going to a public place to meet colleagues to work on something, and sperg out trying to get the fucking network to work? This has happened and it's a pain in the ass.

Does anyone use anything I didn't mention here or have any tricks to get this shit working consistently?

t. thinkpad x220 + void linux user
>>
wpa_supplicant it just werx
>>
>>61721192
My MacBook Pro with Touch Bar doesn't have this problem
>>
>>61721192
I'm on Fedora KDE spin and I use the wifi thing that comes with KDE and it just werks at my uni.
>>
>>61721255
with just plain wpa_supplicant how do you go about connecting to new connections you don't know much about, say, a restaurant for example
>>
>>61721292
Yeah I used KDE in the past and it was well integrated. I'm on autism rice now with dwm, and everything else is perfect except the damn wifi
>>
>>61721192
>void linux
lol.

If you wanted things to actually work you should have gone with Ubuntu.
>>
>>61721297
Just edit the configuration file =)
>>
>>61721943
Meh, I was skeptical at first about void, but after a couple of days I was able to get literally every other function I need in an operating system to be working fine. It's rock solid and speedy, which I've been enjoying.

When I used ubuntu a while ago it was awfully annoying - NetworkManager would often stop working after a suspend, random errors happening here or there without any context, high idle ram usage, and not to mention the amazon botnet
>>
>>61721192
dumb frog posters really are dumb.
>>
>>61721192
>t. thinkpad x220 + void linux user
cheap chinkshit chipset and a no-name bistro, does it fuck you in the ass at 2.4GHz?
>>
File: 902.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
902.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>>61722070
>>
>>61722045
>amazon botnet
in the year of our lord 2017

when was the last time you tried Ubuntu? 2013?

I would bet you $5 that if you booted to a current LTS live CD your networking would work 100% first try.
>>
>>61722207
Been a long time since I've used Ubuntu, this is true.

However I did try installs of Fedora and Debian on the same machine quite recently, and they behaved in the same manner. Eventually settled on void.

Maybe I just need to replace the network card all together.
>>
>>61721192
When something is a bitch to set up properly and barely works, it is pretty damned secure. When only you knows how to start your car, It's not going to get stolen.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.