[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

road to 100% comfy setup

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: alan_von_neumann.jpg (565KB, 975x1357px) Image search: [Google]
alan_von_neumann.jpg
565KB, 975x1357px
Okay /geee/, the time has come. All exams are finished and I have 2 months time.
What would be my best setup for an x220?
I am currently still running Ubuntu 16.04 though I recently switched from unity to awesomeWM. It is comfy as fuck, as it is way smoother and not as laggy.

Now I wanted to start to make a clean setup, prolly going from minimal install and build my way up. Now my question:
What profit would I get from switching to Arch or even Memetoo or should I just stay with Ubuntu/Debian, just do a minimal install and be happy??

Please no bully
>>
>>61716226
Oh and I forgot:
I want to sync my files from uni between my laptop and desktop. Is there any better way than Dropbox? Pushing ALL documents through git seems a bit clunky and is not as seamless. Dropbox has never failed me up until now
>>
benefit from arch, nice package manager and the air. benefit from gentoo, slightly faster due to source based packages instead of binaries but more hassle. if you like apt just use it people stress the differences between Linux distros way too much
>>
>>61716253
if you're working on a project git is literally the most useful thing, and if you think its clunky you're a retard.

if its just documents and other files why not just use a flash drive?
>>
>>61716226
If you're gonna go minimal, go with Debian testing. Don't listen to autistic Arch Linux users.
>>
>>61716301
When working on a project, yes, then for sure git is the better solution
>if its just documents and other files why not just use a flash drive?
Dunno really, just does not """feel""" right. Maybe I should get used to that. Dunno. I'll think about it
>>
>>61716226
>>61716253
>any better way than Dropbox
any way is better than this spyware shit
>road to 100% comfy setup
All the kool kids are using GuixSD.
But I would stick to Ubuntu minimal and would build it to my liking from there.
In my experience, Arch is an attention whore with it's update. I mean, I enjoy a good old update as much as the other guy but when you actually have something to do constant updates are annoying
>>
>>61716308
Why testing? What's it's profit? Newer packages, if I got that right, r-r-rite?
>>
>>61716226
install Alpine

>>61716253
syncthing if rsync+cron doesn't do it for you

>>61716308
>Debian
>minimal
>mfw
>>
>>61716226
>What profit would I get from switching to Arch or even Memetoo or should I just stay with Ubuntu/Debian, just do a minimal install and be happy??

It's good if you like getting your hands dirty and learning about how to work your computer. The 'actual benefit', concretely speaking, is definitely not worth the effort if you don't enjoy the actual doing part.

There's no need for a minimal install, even. Just install xubuntu and start deleting everything you don't need.
>>
>>61716488
>if you like getting your hands dirty and learning about how to work your computer
if that would actually be true...
>>
>>61716469
>syncthing
wow, never heard of this. rsync+cron was in fact not very comfy for me (prolly ony because I havent used it much yet). Will try that. Thanks!
>>61716488
>Just install xubuntu and start deleting everything you don't need.
Feels like installing minimal and working my way up or removing everything is kind of the same effort. Except that wiith working my way up I can't forget to delete stuff that I dont need at all
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.