[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, vim, emacs, nano, Sublime or whatever are great to whip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: 1497513864167.png (338KB, 1000x590px) Image search: [Google]
1497513864167.png
338KB, 1000x590px
Alright, vim, emacs, nano, Sublime or whatever are great to whip up scripts or small programs quickly.
But what do you use when you need to work on an actual, big project?
>>
An IDE specifically tailored to that language.
If one does not exist, vim emacs nano Sublime or whatever.
>>
I really like Microsoft's development software(and the rest of their productivity stuff too for that matter) even though I'm an avid Linux user.
It's just really good man
>>
>>61696991
Is there no C/C++ IDE that can also handle most other languages (with or without plugins)?
>>61697009
Is Visual Studio that good?
>>
>>61696991
Agreed, using IDE for bigger projects - is saving yourself shitton of time.
>>
>>61697076
Only when you're a Sepple using a single programming language all the time
>>
Visual Studio Code.

I am pretty much using it for everything these days.

Has support for completion, debugging, linting for(via plugins so you pick what you need): Python, C#, JS, TypeScript, C/C++, ruby, haxe, and several others.
>>
>>61697043
>Is there no C/C++ IDE that can also handle most other languages (with or without plugins)?
Not well, no.

>Is Visual Studio that good?
Holy shit yes.
>>
>>61697103
Wrong, JetBrains IDE has default plugins, that allows using a lot of other languages alongside with your main one.
>>
>>61697103
Cross-language calls are often unbelievably expensive, and should only be done when it saves a considerable amount of development time on a non-critical part.
A large project should be 95% one language, not including config and make files and etc
>>
GNU Emacs.
>>
>>61696976
>But what do you use when you need to work on an actual, big project?
Sublime or an actual IDE for the language you're working with.
>>
>>61697126
>>61697104
I mostly use C++ and Python, sometimes R, but I also program in Lisp a lot. I'm not sure what I should try out. I don't have any preferred text editor either since I use both Windows and Unix based systems.
>>
>>61697203
The C++ and Python ones are really good(i use them daily, but I also use the C# and JS/TypeScript daily too)

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-vscode.cpptools

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=donjayamanne.python

R and Lisp seem to have meh plugins(I don't code in these languages)

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=mattn.Lisp

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Ikuyadeu.r
>>
Visual Studio + ReSharper++ (pretty much the greatest fucking combination I can think of) when working with Windows and CLion or just Sublime when working on non-windows systems.
>>
>>61696976
I use sublime for everything yolo
>>
>>61697277
Thanks.
>>61697282
>>61697286
Is Sublime really appropriate for larger projects, though?
>>
>>61697282
>Using ReSharper
Unless you've been at it 5+ years in production, that thing is probably making you a worse programmer
>>
>>61697306
>Is Sublime really appropriate for larger projects
Sublime isn't appropriate for anything now that vscode exists
>>
>>61697348
>Electron
>>
>>61697356

Lighter then SWT, smaller then QT, works better then GTK. Cross platform out of the box.
>>
>>61697348
Does VScode have "telemetry"?
>>
>>61697565
It is open source. So you could fully remove it if you want(even then I think it is just a plugin you can remove)

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/supporting/faq#_how-to-disable-telemetry-reporting
>>
>>61697043
>Is there no C/C++ IDE that can also handle most other languages (with or without plugins)?
I use kdevelop for C++
Kile for latex
Kate for everything else
>>
>>61697433
How come Atom is slow as shit?
>>
>>61697433
>smaller than Qt
In what way?
The applications balloon up much more, did you mean less features than Qt?
Qt is lightweight, fast and cross platform already, I don't see what you gain with using a worse framework.
>>
File: taglist.jpg (165KB, 789x638px) Image search: [Google]
taglist.jpg
165KB, 789x638px
>>61696976
What is wrong with Vim? Pic related.
>>
>>61696976
i find it very slow to code with an actual program designed for it instead i prefer to just use bash shell and edit the file using commands. When i have to insert code blocks i execute an alias and thats it, also i code in golang its feature of having a lot of code that cant be reused helps me much.
challenge me!
>>
>>61698788
For big projects isn't emacs better?
It always seemed to me that vi/vim were better for scripts and all but that emacs was basically an IDE.
>>
>>61698666
I honestly do not know, it is one of the reasons I moved away from Atom to Code.

>>61698732
The applications balloon it up? FFS man, the offline installer is 1GB. A full install of an electron application is <200M. Also "wrose framework" is debatable.
>>
>>61698838
Emacs can be whatever it wants, that's a fact.
>>
>>61697306
Why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>61698788
literally nothing

IDE kiddies are appealing to ignorance.
>>
>>61696976
A big projects is just a bunch of small files.

As long as it's well organized you can use whatever.
And if it's poorly organized your magical IDE is just going to fuck it up further.
>>
Jetbrains products
>>
>>61698788
>taglist.vim
That looks pretty handy, thanks anon
>>
File: doxygen.png (73KB, 792x683px) Image search: [Google]
doxygen.png
73KB, 792x683px
>>61696976
If you can't work on a project with nothing but a text editor and the nightly update of the documentation, then your project is a poorly structured garbage.
>>
>>61697203
Emacs has great lisp and r packages
>>
>>61700536
I can work on a project by tapping in binary on a telegraph key, nigga
but i'm not literally autistic, so i don't. same goes for REEEEEEEEEEmacs.
>>
>>61696976
Xcode
>>
>>61701403
>10gb
>>
>>61698788
It comes with really poor default settings and requires plugins to compete with IDEs. People also tend to go completely overboard with the plugins because they don't know how to use the builtin features.
>>
>work on an actual, big project?
That's against unix philosophy, you shouldn't do that

t. faggot
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.